Deafheaven - New Bermuda

Definitely a slow burner to start with, but the more plays I give the new track, the more I grow to love it.

As some other people said, it's definitely hard to rate their music on a track by track basis... For me, Sunbather will always be best described as one flowing piece, that just happens to have track dividers placed in it.

i love the track. maybe the piano part at the end is supposed to be the bridge into track 2 and they did not want to do a 40second track between 1 and 3.

But when they did that in Sunbather it was a very smooth transition. Maybe it is a bridge to track 2, but in the single version, even the piano fades out, indicating that it's disconnected from Luna. Unless on the album version maybe it won't fade out, idk.

I've been listening to these guys since they were Rise of Caligula, my old band used to play local shows with them all the time being a Modesto local and we all have the same group of friends so it's really cool to see this band evolve from what they were to what they are now. So when I first heard this song I wasn't too impressed but after a few listens it's definitely grown on me, I really like From the Kettle so I was hoping they were going towards that route more and I'm definitely more stoked on this new record now.

I know people are going to kill me for saying this because, but I'm tired of the same damn drumming from the last album. That fast paced one that is in almost every song over and over again.

It kind of goes with their "black metal" aesthetic, no?  It'd be really weird if they used some super mathy drum rhythms.  Their drummer is an absolute beast and has technical chops that exceed speed and blast beats, I think.  I've always admired his fills and musicianship on RTJ, Sunbather, etc.  I have no doubt he'll have moments where he shines on Bermuda, too.

It kind of goes with their "black metal" aesthetic, no? It'd be really weird if they used some super mathy drum rhythms. Their drummer is an absolute beast and has technical chops that exceed speed and blast beats, I think. I've always admired his fills and musicianship on RTJ, Sunbather, etc. I have no doubt he'll have moments where he shines on Bermuda, too.

Yes your right, I think it's just me being over critical as everyone is upon a first listen to new music.

Yes your right, I think it's just me being over critical as everyone is upon a first listen to new music.

No worries.  I'm going back and listening to the drumming - especially in the latter half of the song where the gears get shifted down, before ramping back up - and there's a lot more to his drumming than most metal bands that go for sheer double-bass and blast beats.  I don't know; I'm pretty happy with what I'm hearing, but perhaps I just place less weight on the variety of the drum style.

It kind of goes with their "black metal" aesthetic, no? It'd be really weird if they used some super mathy drum rhythms. Their drummer is an absolute beast and has technical chops that exceed speed and blast beats, I think. I've always admired his fills and musicianship on RTJ, Sunbather, etc. I have no doubt he'll have moments where he shines on Bermuda, too.

pretty sure the drummer from Roads isn't the same drummer on Sunbather

Loved the song on first listen. Still do after a few more times since.

A couple of friends who are not even into black metal or extreme metal have been digging it. I found that amusing but their tastes in music are pretty varied and don't dismiss things outright just cuz they may not be what they usually listen to.

A couple of friends who are not even into black metal or extreme metal have been digging it. I found that amusing but their tastes in music are pretty varied and don't dismiss things outright just cuz they may not be what they usually listen to.

Same. Sent it to a few friends who are more into jam bands/americana as kind of a joke. They all liked it.