Deafheaven - New Bermuda

It's kind of upsetting to see so many people cancelling their order. Of course we aren't going to get Sunbather 2.0, do you have any idea how boring it is for a band to simply regurgitate the same material? Sunbather was enough for me, I'm looking forward to where they end up going, the 30 second previews of the first three songs sound pretty cool (not that they tell us much). If you support the band, then support the band.

That being said, I wasn't a huge fan of the solo, could have used more depth. Loved the breakdown a little after halfway. Fadeout could have crossfaded with the piano a bit more to get rid of that "down-up" feel. Maybe this will sound different as a whole record though.

New song is totally in the wrong key, plus they can't even get the time signature correct!  Wow Deafheaven suck at music now!  Ugh, these tones are terribad.  I'm cancelling all 7 of my variant orders.  Sunbather was such a great debut album, such a shame they ran into the sophomore album curse.

You're new so I can't give you the benefit of the doubt that you're being sarcastic, but either way; this is their third official release.  They completely dodged the sophomore slump with Sunbather.

That being said, I wasn't a huge fan of the solo.

This. I like the song, I was not/am not hoping for Sunbather 2.0. But that solo is so out of place. I have listened to the track at least 10 times now and every time the solo catches me off guard, and not in a "hey that was cool way".

Stoked to hear the rest of this beast, I am sure it will rip.

This. I like the song, I was not/am not hoping for Sunbather 2.0. But that solo is so out of place. I have listened to the track at least 10 times now and every time the solo catches me off guard, and not in a "hey that was cool way".

Stoked to hear the rest of this beast, I am sure it will rip.

Im excited to hear everything in one run. I think this album is going to be one huge moving piece; more so than Sunbather. I listened to the track some more and its starting to grow on me. I think with some more context it'll work out nicely. I just hope there is more depth later in the album.

joke-goes-over-head-superman.gif?w=610

Seriously though, what makes you think I'm new?

The joke didn't go over my head; I've just been on the boards long enough to determine that complete idiocy and total sarcasm are sometimes separated by a very fine line.  When members post regularly, it's easier to determine their sense of humor (or mental density).  And seeing as you have < 200 posts, that's tough for a lot of people to gauge.  I've seen it all and assume nothing these days.

The joke didn't go over my head; I've just been on the boards long enough to determine that complete idiocy and total sarcasm are sometimes separated by a very fine line.  When members post regularly, it's easier to determine their sense of humor (or mental density).  And seeing as you have < 200 posts, that's tough for a lot of people to gauge.  I've seen it all and assume nothing these days.

Understandable.  I would suggest checking the date of when someone joined as well.  I'm not big on post counts in forums.

Understandable.  I would suggest checking the date of when someone joined as well.  I'm not big on post counts in forums.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that.  I shouldn't have said you were new, truthfully – that was my bad.  But as far as deciphering a sense of humor and sarcasm based off forum activity, I still stand by my points (regardless of registration date or time spent lurking).  Either way, I'm a big advocate for lurking a community before diving in and going post-crazy or creating redundant threads.  It's always a refreshing thing to see.

I'm not IN LOVE with the new song, but I'm definitely still stoked for the whole album. Maybe it's a grower and not a shower. Maybe the new track will be better when listening to the whole album; we'll see. If it sucks, I'll unload it on Derek. <3

That's fair – it definitely didn't strike me the same way Dream House did when it was debuted as a single.  But if there's anything I've learned from Deafheaven releases, it's that they're absolutely stronger as a whole, and only seem to truly shine after a few revisits.  I'm trying to be realistically optimistic about the whole thing.  I can't see myself hating it, but I will certainly prepare for the possibility of being nonplussed, in a worst case scenario.

And, please.  You know I've got that clear on lockdown already. But thank you. Is Brian on board with this one?  I wonder how many copies we could fit into one residence.

That's fair – it definitely didn't strike me the same way Dream House did when it was debuted as a single. But if there's anything I've learned from Deafheaven releases, it's that they're absolutely stronger as a whole, and only seem to truly shine after a few revisits. I'm trying to be realistically optimistic about the whole thing. I can't see myself hating it, but I will certainly prepare for the possibility of being nonplussed, in a worst case scenario.

And, please. You know I've got that clear on lockdown already. But thank you. Is Brian on board with this one? I wonder how many copies we could fit into one residence.

I haven't PO'd yet. Probably will grab a clear though haha.

That's fair – it definitely didn't strike me the same way Dream House did when it was debuted as a single.  But if there's anything I've learned from Deafheaven releases, it's that they're absolutely stronger as a whole, and only seem to truly shine after a few revisits.  I'm trying to be realistically optimistic about the whole thing.  I can't see myself hating it, but I will certainly prepare for the possibility of being nonplussed, in a worst case scenario.

And, please.  You know I've got that clear on lockdown already. But thank you. Is Brian on board with this one?  I wonder how many copies we could fit into one residence.

Yeah, I remember Sunbather being the same way for me as this - wasn't impressed by a singular song, but the album blew me away. After listening to Sunbather front to back countless times, and seeing them live, I have definitely learned what and how to expect them. So, like I said, I'm really looking forward to give this new album a proper front to back. I can't see myself hating it either honestly. Maybe not liking it as much as their previous material, but still liking it none the less. I'm curious to see what direction they take, and I'm glad it's a new one. I don't want a Sunbather 1.1 or 2.0. I embrace the evolution of the music and Deafheaven as a band.

Haha, ah so you gave in. Which do you have pre ordered as of today? I was going to go coke bottle, but couldn't say no to Bullmoose's free shipping. It'll be whatever you have + 2 at least. I would love if they did a electric sky blue for this, maybe with black splatter, but I'm down with transparents.

Indie shops around U.S., including Bullmoose.

Yeah, I remember Sunbather being the same way for me as this - wasn't impressed by a singular song, but the album blew me away. After listening to Sunbather front to back countless times, and seeing them live, I have definitely learned what and how to expect them. So, like I said, I'm really looking forward to give this new album a proper front to back. I can't see myself hating it either honestly. Maybe not liking it as much as their previous material, but still liking it none the less. I'm curious to see what direction they take, and I'm glad it's a new one. I don't want a Sunbather 1.1 or 2.0. I embrace the evolution of the music and Deafheaven as a band.

Haha, ah so you gave in. Which do you have pre ordered as of today? I was going to go coke bottle, but couldn't say no to Bullmoose's free shipping. It'll be whatever you have + 2 at least. I would love if they did a electric sky blue for this, maybe with black splatter, but I'm down with transparents.

The description on the last page made it sound like the album becomes more and more distant from Sunbather as it progresses.  Which is kind of cool, even if a lot of folks aren't into those thrashier / chug-metal vibes.  I think New Bermuda will polarize quite a few Deafheaven fans, but - like you said - I also think that's greatly preferable than repackaging Sunbather and pushing zero creative boundaries as an artist.  And you're absolutely right: Deafheaven on studio albums ≠ Deafheaven live.  They're two very different animals, but I enjoy both immensely.

I'm a sucker for anything electric blue and transparent, so that's a resounding agreement from my end.  So far I've got the translucent blue, coke bottle blue, clear, and Euro translucent green ordered.  [Everything but black, pink, and yellow, ironically.  Guess I got my fill of those with my Sunbather variants.]

The more I listen to the track, I get more used to the solo, but the more that fade out just irks me. It's mainly that it completely fades out, then piano comes in -- rather abruptly. It's so disconnected, when -- to me -- the piano melody's relation to the preceding guitar riff almost demands a smoother segue. And the fact that it's the first track kinda seems unpromising. Seems like a very odd way to end the opener of an album. Idk. I'm super excited to hear the rest, and I still have confidence, I just... I hope I don't have qualms like this throughout the remainder of the tracks.