What's an opening band you didn't know much about when you saw them but now glad that you saw them?

Yonatan Gat

Agree that Yonatan is awesome live.....but.....you should YouTube live performances of his old band, Monotonix, if you thought he was great live.......hands-down best live band you could ever be a part of, most interactive live shows, so much fire, surfing, and chaos....doin that everynight of a tour had to have been insanely exhausting. Yonatan rips

Sometime back in 03/04 Mars Volta opened for A perfect circle. That music was too much to take in... Love the band now, and I am so glad I got to see them perform De Loused material when it was fresh. But at the time... I hated it. 

Funny thing is back then I was friends with Sean (AJJ) and I told him how much I disliked TMV. He kind of convinced me to give them a fair shake. So I guess I have to thank him for that.  

Good times.

Beach Slang, TV on the Radio, Beep Beep, Chotto Ghetto, The Mean Reds, M. Ward, Feist, A Wilhelm Scream.

All from various shows. All blew me the hell away and made me an instant fan.

Ugh. I saw Beep Beep open for TV On The Radio and The Faint ~10 years ago, and they were so unbelievably bad that my friends and I STILL joke about it when we see another terrible opening band. "Hey, at least they're not Beep Beep."

Sometime back in 03/04 Mars Volta opened for A perfect circle. That music was too much to take in... Love the band now, and I am so glad I got to see them perform De Loused material when it was fresh. But at the time... I hated it. 

Funny thing is back then I was friends with Sean (AJJ) and I told him how much I disliked TMV. He kind of convinced me to give them a fair shake. So I guess I have to thank him for that.  

Good times.

Would not picture Sean liking TMV for some reason. I begged him to cover Silver Jews at an in store like a year ago and it was wonderful.

In 2005 I saw From Autumn To Ashes and was pleasantly surprised to hear the opening band Comeback Kid. They really killed it and started the night right. This show also had Rise Against

Back in 97-98 I saw Blink 182 and got to see Unwritten Law open for them. UL was awesome and I went through many years after of blasting their music non stop. And seeing Blink when they were that young was great too, at least being immature then was acceptable. Now it's just played out

Sean was dating some hispanic girl at the time and said her and her family LOVED that band. So I just figured, rightfully so, that I was missing out. And forgive me, I have no idea who Silver Jews is. Shit I didn't even know sean was in a successful band till like last year.  

*Looked up silver jews. I never got into Pavement so that's probably why I never heard of them.*

Ugh. I saw Beep Beep open for TV On The Radio and The Faint ~10 years ago, and they were so unbelievably bad that my friends and I STILL joke about it when we see another terrible opening band. "Hey, at least they're not Beep Beep."

Saw them on the same tour. Complete opposite reaction. Wish they'd do a third LP.

I hadn't heard of The Music until I saw them open for Incubus in CO '04, which was VERY impressive!

Found out about RX Bandits when they co-headlined with Dredg in Tucson 2010 and they rocked my panties off

I saw The Music open for Coldplay. I loved them but most of the crowd did not.

Another good opening act I saw was The Futureheads opening for Kaiser Chiefs.

Sean was dating some hispanic girl at the time and said her and her family LOVED that band. So I just figured, rightfully so, that I was missing out. And forgive me, I have no idea who Silver Jews is. Shit I didn't even know sean was in a successful band till like last year.  

*Looked up silver jews. I never got into Pavement so that's probably why I never heard of them.*

Sorry, didn't mean to mention Silver Jews like everyone should know them. But dang, AJJ are AMAZING and that's surprising you didn't know they were pretty big. They are one of the best bands in the past 10 years imo.

One of my biggest regrets to this day is not having gone to Lubbock to see TMV open for APC. All my friends went. I had an essay to write.

Never regret not going to Lubbock. Ever.

I saw TMV open for Red Hot Chili Peppers on like 02 or 03. Queens of the Stone Age played too, right after they put out Songs for the Deaf and a month or two after I saw them headline a 400 cap room. I went for TMV and QOTSA, but TMV sucked. They sounded awful. I remember reading something about how on that tour all the PA shit was soundchecked for RHCP so TMV just came through as a wall of incomprehensible noise but not in a good way.

At least QOTSA were awesome.

P.O.S opening for Minus the Bear was quite a pleasant juxtaposition, had no clue who he was at that time and was very stoked on his performance

Reggie Watts MCing the '06 Capital Hill Block Party was rad, had never heard of him at that time

Common Market playing the '06 Capital Hill Block Party either immediately before Murder City Devils or an act before that...no clue who they were and they put on a terrific performance as well

also can't quite understate how blown away I was by The Legendary Shack Shakers opening for The Black Keys....I mean, dude was wearing a 1930's style swimming outfit with antique aviator goggled that he quickly removed, drop kicked a tray full of assorted meats that he got from back stage which sent splintered plastic everywhere as well as assorted meats....there was a bald gentlemen front row beside me and the dude slapped a half pound of cold cut ham on his bald head, continuously blew snot rockets everywhere, and at one point where it was just an instrumental section he dropped the mic an jumped on a monitor reached in his pants and start ripping out hands full of pubes and throwing them everywhere. I have never in my life seen a wilder opening band.