PO Now: Shy, Low "Hiraeth" LP on Spartan Records

drds89

RVA dudes' follow-up to Binary Opposition...

http://spartanrecords.limitedrun.com/news

http://spartanrecords.limitedrun.com/products/558800-shy-low-hiraeth

A couple of passes through I like the track Nostos as good or better than anything I've heard all week...

Shy, Low - "Hiraeth"SPAR029
  • v600_hiraeth-hallie-rose.png
  • v600_hiraeth-bell-foxglove.png
  • v600_hiraeth-bell-heather.png
  • v600_hiraeth-bell-snowdon-lily.png
  • v600_Shy-Low-Insert.png
  • v600_Shy-Low-Watercolors.png
                                            Select one...                                                                                           "Hallie Rose" - $19.99                                                                                            "Foxglove" - $19.99                                                                                            "Bell Heather" - $19.99                                                                                            "Snowdon Lily" - $19.99                                                                                            Compact Disc - $9.99                                                                                            Digital Download - $9.99                                                               

Gimme
Info

Hiraeth: a word without a concrete English translation. While evading an unequivocal definition, it exudes melancholy. Those who have attempted to define it describe the word as a mixture of homesickness, nostalgia, grief, and longing. It is the oppressive guilt associated with memories now passed; the bitter remembrance of joyous occasions that can never be revisited. It is also the title of Shy, Low’s upcoming full-length album, due November 13th on Spartan Records. Just like the word Hiraeth itself, Shy, Low’s continual evolution make them a band that is not easy to define. While it would be convenient to corral the band into the bucket of canonical post-rock bands like Mono, Mogwai, and This Will Destroy You, on Hiraeth, Shy, Low’s eclectic palate of musical influences are showcased more broadly than ever before. The band earnestly sifts through the complex relationship between music, art, and the emotions that encapsulate the human experience — and in doing so, they’ve successfully created a brilliantly moving, yet strangely bittersweet 43 minute aural journey.

Tracks
  1. Nostos
  2. Saudade
  3. Anomic
  4. Hiraeth
  5. Algos
  6. Times Gone By
Pressing Information

First pressing limited to 500 copies:

• "Hallie Rose" (Coke Bottle Green / Bone Swirl with Purple, Oxblood, Blue, Baby Pink Splatter) (100) 
• "Foxglove" (Oxblood in Bone Color In Color) (150) 
• "Bell Heather" (Milky Clear and Baby Pink Swirl) (150) 
• "Snowdon Lily" (White with Yellow Haze with Purple Splatter) (100)

Full color jacket printed on reverseboard stock with printed uncoated insert.

This is a pre-order. All orders come with an instant download of the song "Nostos" and a high-quality download of the Hiraeth on November 13th. All vinyl pre-orders include a custom Shy, Low watercolor set.

Dang, this is really good. Love the strings toward the end. Binary Opposition never really caught on with me, but this looks like it's gonna be a really nice release. Spartan always does a great job with their presses. Some of the color schemes they do are outrageous.

Owen, Have you heard the bonus track, Voyager? It is more gritty, almost Kerretta in the midsection vs the pretty standard - fare, but well done post-rock on the other 2 tracks.  I was going to email it to you but it has been uploade to youtube....

Voyager: https://youtu.be/XLDg4a61YMo

They are so good Live as well - like Caspian, almost a different animal vs the studio trying to capture their dynamics.

Owen, Have you heard the bonus track, Voyager? It is more gritty, almost Kerretta in the midsection vs the pretty standard - fare, but well done post-rock on the other 2 tracks.  I was going to email it to you but it has been uploaded to youtube....

Voyager: https://youtu.be/XLDg4a61YMo

They are so good Live as well - like Caspian, almost a different animal vs the studio trying to capture their dynamics.

Definitely see the Kerretta comparison in this one, maybe even a little Damascus in there as well. More meat on it compared to the other two for sure. It seems like Binary Opposition was a base for their sound that they're trying to build off of for this upcoming full-length, and if that's the case then we're in for a treat.

Caspian is a band I've yet to see live, but from the Audiotree sessions I've watched it's like a completely different band live vs. in the studio. Both good in their respective ways, but I could see how it would be hard to layer that many guitar tracks in the studio on some of their heavier songs that just don't get the grit like they do when played live.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...