Breaking: Guy With Shitty Taste Does Shitty Thing

aflycon

Discussing more of the music side of this debate hence the guy was a "major investor/backer" of Rickly's label, I personally think that Rickly is pretty much fucked at this point. Although all the bands that have spoken up thus far on the matter and their involvement with Collected have been praising and been positive about Rickly's character and as a person, I think the damage is well and done with the "guilty by association" mentality that we see it as now.

Being a bit jaded and very cynical, I find it hard to believe that Rickly had zero knowledge about who Shkreli really was/is and how he made his money. I mean c'mon...it's all over each other's social media on how they're buds and always hanging out and pal'ing around.

But even if Rickly truly 100% was unaware of it all til now...damage is done and his rep and his label's will be questioned. And that sucks cuz he's a good person.

sorry, but rickly who? geoff? this is my first time hearing about this.

I know, right? It's crazy to think about. Thankfully all the rest of the pharmaceutical companies are not price gouging us on life saving meds. What world that would be.

i can't tell if you're joking or not... but this has happened before. perhaps not as egregiously as shkreli, because he's a moron and made it too blatantly obvious that he was bending everyone over, but it has.

people who need these types of medicine most have the most inelastic demand -- that is, they are willing to pay nearly any price to obtain the good because it is so vital to their survival. (forgive me if you feel like i'm talking down on you; just trying to explain thoroughly for anyone else reading who may not have taken an economics course or simply never understood.) moreover, the federal drug administration's regulations makes entering medicinal markets difficult and artificially creates an oligopoly.

it creates a pretty filthy feedback loop -- only a few companies (that were finally able to penetrate the market) can sell drugs because high barriers to entry prevent other firms from selling drugs. then the companies selling the drugs can jack up the prices because of the nature of inelastic demand and/or the financial benefits of collusion, which is made easier with fewer players in the market.

one can fuck pills and smoke weed with certain illnesses, but weed isn't gonna stop my body from attacking itself. instead i'd like some rx reform, pls.

Sorry, I was a little harsh with that statement, and I apologize. I do sympathize for those that take medications for their diseases, there's just so many underlying problems with the pharma companies and how some doctors prescribe medications that I get a little annoyed with the whole thing. No, smoking weed is not the answer for everyone, but there are many studies where medical marijuana and CBD oil has shown to help a lot of people with many different diseases, but that's another subject best kept out of this "Shitty guy with shitty taste who does shitty things" thread. My apologies if anyone was offended. 

i can't tell if you're joking or not... but this has happened before. perhaps not as egregiously as shkreli, because he's a moron and made it too blatantly obvious that he was bending everyone over, but it has.

people who need these types of medicine most have the most inelastic demand -- that is, they are willing to pay nearly any price to obtain the good because it is so vital to their survival. (forgive me if you feel like i'm talking down on you; just trying to explain thoroughly for anyone else reading who may not have taken an economics course or simply never understood.) moreover, the federal drug administration's regulations makes entering medicinal markets difficult and artificially creates an oligopoly.

it creates a pretty filthy feedback loop -- only a few companies (that were finally able to penetrate the market) can sell drugs because high barriers to entry prevent other firms from selling drugs. then the companies selling the drugs can jack up the prices because of the nature of inelastic demand and/or the financial benefits of collusion, which is made easier with fewer players in the market.

I was certainly joking. Fuck pharmaceutical companies.

Haha, it's cool. Sarcasm is not always easy to detect on the internet, or from me in general. You response did raise a lot of good points for people who might not know what is going on.

Haha, it's cool. Sarcasm is not always easy to detect on the internet, or from me in general. You response did raise a lot of good points for people who might not know what is going on.

It was hard for me to detect at first, and then I was like...no these guys are too smart to actually believe that. lol

Also, yes. Very good points Chamb, because there are a lot of people out there who don't know what's going on. Just hoping this whole thing will make more people knowledgeable about the issue. 

From Geoff - http://pitchfork.com/news/61324-geoff-rickly-explains-collect-records-relationship-with-turing-pharmaceuticals-ceo-martin-shkreli/

Today, Collect Records — with the support and encouragement of all of our artists — have agreed to fully sever our relationship with Martin Shkreli, effective immediately.

When I decided to get into business with Martin, we took him on as a patron. He was completely silent and allowed us to do business as we pleased. His only ask was that we sign bands that we believed could make great art given the right environment and not to focus on a profit, no matter how dire the bottom line.  

Never in a million years did any of us expect to wake up to the news of the scandal that he is now involved in. It blindsided and upset us on every level. As such, we know it is impossible for us to continue having any ties with him. For my part, I've always strived to make Collect a place that was so liberal, encouraging, and artist-friendly that no one would ever walk away from us willingly, though to do so at any time would be very easy. To that end, I hope that our bands continue to believe in our guidance and passion. Any of them that have had an incurable crisis of confidence will be allowed to leave with nothing but the kind of encouragement that we've built our label on. 

For all the kind words of encouragement that I've received over the past two days, I'm forever grateful.

From all here at Collect Records, thank you.

This whole thing is weird to me. 

Are people really not going to buy a Nothing or United Nations or No Devotion or Torche Amore record because an investor was bad? That's like die-hard evangelicals refusing to do business at Starbucks because they support same-sex marriage. With that kind of stance on business, your life would significantly change.

Are people really not going to buy a Nothing or United Nations or No Devotion or Torche Amore record because an investor was bad? That's like die-hard evangelicals refusing to do business at Starbucks because they support same-sex marriage. With that kind of stance on business, your life would significantly change.

Not exactly. One is trying to stop people from living their lives, the other is going to cause people to stop living.

Not exactly. One is trying to stop people from living their lives, the other is going to cause people to stop living.

Not a perfect analogy. I'm just curious if people are going to stop buying these records because an investor did something really shitty. So do lots of companies. Is it because this was particularly bad? Is there a sliding scale on how bad something is that determines whether or not to support a company?

Is there a sliding scale on how bad something is that determines whether or not to support a company?

Everyone is going to have a different scale. People vote with their dollar based off personal opinion.

In this case, since Geoff is not an asshole, boycotting would probably do more harm than good.

i don't think it's quite the same, I refused (and still do) to eat chick-fil-a over their anti gay marriage stance. As much of a turd I think this guy is I'm not going to not support a label because he was a blind investor.