Neutral Milk Hotel - On Avery Island 

Belle & Sebastian - Boy With The Arab Strap

The Smiths - Queen Is Dead

The Replacements - Let It Be 

Ceremony - Rohnert Park

American Nightmare - Background Music 

The National - Alligator 

Quicksand - Slip 

Texas Is The Reason - Do You Know Who You Are? 

I love lists. So I'm going to add mine for the hell of it. BTW, I enjoy reading other people's lists. So fascinating, I've written a couple down that I haven't heard of to check out, so thanks!

My list, no particular order:

Russian Circles - Enter

Negative Approach - Tied Down

Turning Point - Always Darkest Before the Dawn

Elliot Smith - Either/Or

Pelican - Australiasia

Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

The Sword - Gods of the Earth

Iron & Wine - The Creek Drank the Cradle

Aesop Rock - Labor Days

Rodrigo y Gabriela - 11:11

I gotta say, it is really difficult to leave some stuff off. 

My dad was the same way, and I will be forever thankful. He would take me and my three or four best friends to shows all the time when we were 11-driving ourselves. Pantera at Towson, MxPx and RATM at 930 club. And he wasn't listening to that shit, but it didn't stop him from getting in the crowd at a Deftones or whoever show. My buddy Eric still has a Goldfinger shirt my Pops bought him at a show when we were 12 or 13.

Anyways,

The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute

Joanna Newsom - Milk Eyed Mender

Rx Bandits - And the Battle Begun

Dr. Dog - Shame Shame

Jon Brion - I Heart Huckabees

Deftones - Around the Fur

Tom Waits - Swordfishtrombone

Rage Against the Machine - Evil Empie

Fiona Apple - When the Pawn...

Pixies - Doolittle

This got really hard when I had to start picking just one album from some of these artists/bands. And now that I see it laid out I realize I don't even listen to these all that often these days, but they're definitely the foundation I always fall back on.

Hell yeah on France's the Mute!! Didn't go through every page, but didn't seen anyone else mention this album. Fucking LOVE this album. I could listen to this everyday and never get tired of it

In alphabetical order

1. GY!BE - Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada

2. Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights

3. Jesu - Jesu

4. Madvillain - Madvillainy

5. Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West

6. Pelican - City of Echoes

7. Radiohead - OK Computer

8. Sigur ros - Agaetis byrjun

9. Smiths, the - The Queen is Dead

10. Yes - Close to the Edge

probably could add another 10 there easily

In alphabetical order

3. Jesu - Jesu

i left that Godspeed record off because it's an EP. otherwise it would have made it. I also had LCW, and Agaetis Byrjun on my list. the Queen is dead, ok computer, Jesu, and turn on the bright lights are all great too.

My list

The Mars Volta - Frances The Mute

Death From Above 1979 - You're A Woman I'm A Machine

The Killers - Sam's Town

The Strokes - Is This It

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin

Arctic Monkeys - Favorite Worst Nightmare

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever To Tell

Marilyn Manson - Holy Wood

Gogol Bordello - Gypsy Punks

Interpol - Antics

No Order

Big Black - Atomizer 

Ceremony - Rohnert Park

The National - Alligator 

Quicksand - Slip 

Big Black is so underrated. It makes me sad how not a lot of people know about them. Pig Pile is my favorite by them.

Anb Texas is in my top 15. They just barely didn't make the 10 cut. Glad to see then getting love.

In alphabetical order

3. Jesu - Jesu

Definitely their best album.

No particular order, except for Pet Sounds, which will always be my favorite album.

The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds: Pure pop perfection. Music doesn't get much better than this. 

Talk Talk - Laughing Stock: If you like post rock at all, you need to listen to this. Incredible album. 

Radiohead - Kid A: This album is responsible for broadening my music taste when I was younger. I couldn't stand it at first, but after awhile, I began to love it and recognize that it's one of the best albums ever made. 

The Beatles - White Album: Any '64-'69 Beatles album (apart from Yellow Submarine, which isn't really a real album) can go here. I don't know what else there is to be said, it's the fucking Beatles. 

Sigur Ros - ( ): You can't go wrong with AB, ( ), or Takk, but ( ) stands out as my personal favorite. 

Elliott Smith - From a Basement on a Hill: I love all of his albums to death, but I think FABOAH contains his strongest songs. It's a nice combo between his grittier early stuff and the lavish production of his Dreamworks albums. 

The Kinks - Village Green Preservation Society: It's quite a shame how unpopular The Kinks' most important albums were (in the US at least). Face to Face through Muswell Hillbillies are all brilliant albums, but Arthur and Village Green are their best. Please check them out if you haven't heard them.

Peter Gabriel - Melt: It's an excellent album and includes the strongest songs from him, IMO. Security, So, and Us are all fantastic.

Ride - Going Blank Again: Nowhere gets all the attention because it's more of a traditional shoegaze album, but Going Blank Again has better songs and leaves more of an impact, in my opinion. (Nothing beats Vapour Trail, however...)

Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady: I need to listen to more jazz, but this is a phenomenal album. I love it.

Gahhhhh

In order:

1 - The Microphones - The Glow, Pt. 2 - 2001

2 - Pavement - Wowee Zowee - 1995

3 - Modest Mouse - This is a Long Drive for Someone With Nothing to Think About - 1996

4 - Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven - 2000

5 - The Wrens - The Meadowlands - 2003

6 - Archers of Loaf - Icky Mettle - 1993

7 - The Velvet Underground - White Light / White Heat - 1968

8 - of Montreal - Coquelicot Asleep in the Poppies: A Variety of Whimsical Verse - 2001

9 - Radiohead - Amnesiac - 2001

0 - Titus Andronicus - The Monitor - 2010

I feel naked now.

8 and 9 are the only two albums of your list I don't have at least in my top50. Amazing List.

No particular order, except for Pet Sounds, which will always be my favorite album.

The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds: Pure pop perfection. Music doesn't get much better than this. 

Talk Talk - Laughing Stock: If you like post rock at all, you need to listen to this. Incredible album. 

Radiohead - Kid A: This album is responsible for broadening my music taste when I was younger. I couldn't stand it at first, but after awhile, I began to love it and recognize that it's one of the best albums ever made. 

The Beatles - White Album: Any '64-'69 Beatles album (apart from Yellow Submarine, which isn't really a real album) can go here. I don't know what else there is to be said, it's the fucking Beatles. 

Sigur Ros - ( ): You can't go wrong with AB, ( ), or Takk, but ( ) stands out as my personal favorite. 

Elliott Smith - From a Basement on a Hill: I love all of his albums to death, but I think FABOAH contains his strongest songs. It's a nice combo between his grittier early stuff and the lavish production of his Dreamworks albums. 

The Kinks - Village Green Preservation Society: It's quite a shame how unpopular The Kinks' most important albums were (in the US at least). Face to Face through Muswell Hillbillies are all brilliant albums, but Arthur and Village Green are their best. Please check them out if you haven't heard them.

Peter Gabriel - Melt: It's an excellent album and includes the strongest songs from him, IMO. Security, So, and Us are all fantastic.

Ride - Going Blank Again: Nowhere gets all the attention because it's more of a traditional shoegaze album, but Going Blank Again has better songs and leaves more of an impact, in my opinion. (Nothing beats Vapour Trail, however...)

Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady: I need to listen to more jazz, but this is a phenomenal album. I love it.

Yes to Pet Sounds, fucking incredible. I have to say, I've learned to appreciate 'Smile' just as much. Both are pop in it's purest form. Fuck the Beatles, long live the Beach Boys.

01. The Cure. Disintegration

02. Wipers. Youth Of America

03. Sonic Youth. Daydream Nation

04. Talk Talk. Laughing Stock

05. Built To Spill. Perfect From Now On

06. Marvin Gaye. Let's Get It On

07. Modest Mouse. The Lonesome Crowded West

08. Smashing Pumpkins. Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness

09. My Bloody Valentine. Loveless

10. Converge. You Fail Me

I'm having second thoughts already haha. I need to throw something out in order to bring in some cascadian black-metal heaviness..

Yes to Pet Sounds, fucking incredible. I have to say, I've learned to appreciate 'Smile' just as much. Both are pop in it's purest form. Fuck the Beatles, long live the Beach Boys.

If Smile was finished, it would probably be the best album ever recorded. We'll never know what the final product was supposed to be, though... 

01. The Cure. Disintegration

02. Wipers. Youth Of America

03. Sonic Youth. Daydream Nation

04. Talk Talk. Laughing Stock

05. Built To Spill. Perfect From Now On

06. Marvin Gaye. Let's Get It On

07. Weakling. Dead As Dreams

08. Smashing Pumpkins. Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness

09. My Bloody Valentine. Loveless

10. Converge. You Fail Me

Modest Mouse. The Lonesome Crowded West

Now I'm good. That whole 'deserted island'-theme made me realize that BtS, Pumpkins and MM all cater the same set of genre/mood/interest and there was a striking lack of blast beats, that I couldn't happily live without forever. This is serious business guys..

If Smile was finished, it would probably be the best album ever recorded. We'll never know what the final product was supposed to be, though... 

Absolutely. Still I'm in awe of what the '11 Smile Sessions hold. It's expertly crafted and an even more coherent and majestic album than Pet Sounds. I love it. I never went through those 5 CDs of 'Good Vibrations' vocal overdubs the LP-box came with though haha.

Let's join the fest:

Brand New - The Devil And Go Are Raging Inside Me
Converge - Jane Doe
Modern Life Is War - Witness
The Appleseed Cast - The End Of The Ring Wars
A Bunny's Caravan - Draining Puddles, Retrieving Treasures
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven
Raein - Ogni Nuovo Inizio
This Will Destroy You - Young Mountain
The Pax Cecilia - Blessed Are The Bonds
Misery Signals- Of Malice and the Magnum Heart

And without the 5 year rule, Athletics, If These Trees Could Talk and Deafheaven would have been there.

Let's join the fest:

Brand New - The Devil And Go Are Raging Inside Me
Converge - Jane Doe
Modern Life Is War - Witness
The Appleseed Cast - The End Of The Ring Wars
A Bunny's Caravan - Draining Puddles, Retrieving Treasures
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven
Raein - Ogni Nuovo Inizio
This Will Destroy You - Young Mountain
The Pax Cecilia - Blessed Are The Bonds
Misery Signals- Of Malice and the Magnum Heart

And without the 5 year rule, Athletics, If These Trees Could Talk and Deafheaven would have been there.

:wub:

Hendrix/Band of Gypsys - Band of Gypsys

NIN - The Downward Spiral

PJ Harvey - Stories from the City....

Harvey Milk - Courtesy and Good Will Toward Men

Diamanda Galas - The Divine Punishment

Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady

Sleater-Kinney - One Beat

Beth Orton - Comfort of Strangers

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - No More Shall We Part

Can - Tago Mago

Damn, so many albums from 2011 I wanted to add. Oh well, here we go. Laugh away. Just realized my taste in music is rather FUBAR.

Rosetta - The Galilean Satellites

Fall Of Efrafa - Inle

Giant Squid - Metridium Fields

The Angelic Process - Weighing Souls With Sand

BATS - Red In Tooth & Claw

Deftones - S/T

System Of A Down - Toxicity

Russian Circles - Enter

Amia Venera Landscape - The Long Procession

The Offspring - Smash

Fuck! I forgot this one! This and the two preceding records are absolutely incredible. Not nearly enough attention to them. I think I like Spirit of Eden slightly more - I find Laughing Stock even just a bit too sparse. Glad you brought this album up. Gonna listen to it at work today.  

So much respect for Decedents. Glad to see more Dylan on here. I think choosing a favorite album by him might be the hardest because of how diverse he is. My go to is Slow Train Coming. As far as Bowie goes, I've always found it very hard to pick a favorite Bowie album too. Him and Dylan are just such chameleons. He just has so much good material to choose from. I'm curious behind your choosing of Vol. IV though. I absolutely love that album, but I'm curious to know why it beats out Master, S/T, or Paranoid.

It was between Master of Reality and Volume IV....Black Sabbath rules, could've dropped any of the Ozzy albums in there, but Master and IV are my favs and IV just barely beat out Master. Man, if this were a top 25 it'd be so much easier. So many crucial albums to me that I was forced to leave out

No Order

Big Black - Atomizer 

Ceremony - Rohnert Park

The National - Alligator 

Quicksand - Slip 

Big props for Big Black... I remember the first time I saw Songs About Fucking and thought "That chick on the cover looks like they're shoving something up her ass...I gotta listen to this!" Not disappointed one bit :)

No Order

Big Black - Atomizer 

Ceremony - Rohnert Park

The National - Alligator 

Quicksand - Slip 

High Violet was really close to end up being on my list. Damn, 10 is so hard...

Had some good time to think on a plane... Went back and forth on which album for a couple bands.

mewithoutYou - Brother, Sister

The Chariot - Long Live

Thrice - Vheissu

Rilo Kiley - More Adventurous

Saves the Day - Stay What You Are

The Blood Brothers - ...Burn, Piano Island, Burn

The Receiving End of Sirens - Between the Heart and the Synapse

Zao - Where Blood and Fire Bring Rest

Jack's Mannequin - Everything in Transit

Bright Eyes - Fevers and Mirrors