PO: The Used 'Live and Acoustic at the Palace' [2LP gatefold]

tug

Emo is such an umbrella label; perhaps I shouldn't have used it. I also think its definition and examples will differ from person to person – that is to say, your emo mileage may vary. At the end of the day, The Used were a cornerstone of Hot Topic-core and Bert McCracken no doubt whined about heartbreak and emotional turmoil in a manner I'd be embarrassed to listen to, today. That's emo enough for me, but I get if that doesn't fit other folks' mold of the genre.

Speaking from a purely nostalgic standpoint, I think I could make it through the S/T or IL&D once a blue moon. But can we admit - old fan or new - that everything after their sophomore album was unlistenable horse shit?

Yeah. Pretty much. Maybe a good song here or there but no consistently solid albums after the first two. I think I liked three songs off Lies for The Liars; Pretty Handsome Awkward, The Bird and The Worm, and Hospital.

Emo is such an umbrella label; perhaps I shouldn't have used it. I also think its definition and examples will differ from person to person – that is to say, your emo mileage may vary. At the end of the day, The Used were a cornerstone of Hot Topic-core and Bert McCracken no doubt whined about heartbreak and emotional turmoil in a manner I'd be embarrassed to listen to, today. That's emo enough for me, but I get if that doesn't fit other folks' mold of the genre.

I would say The Used is a rock band. But I have never been into all the sub genres of music. Its stupid. If you wanna get technical, all music is emo. Emo is just an abbreviation of emotional, with out emotion most music wouldnt be very good.

I smell what you're stepping in. At 30 it's embarrassing to tell people I listen to "emo" music because to the uninitiated the first bands that come to mind are the lame hot topic ones from that era. So I just like to get on a soapbox sometimes and try and take the label from them to make myself seem less lame.

I smell what you're stepping in. At 30 it's embarrassing to tell people I listen to "emo" music because to the uninitiated the first bands that come to mind are the lame hot topic ones from that era. So I just like to get on a soapbox sometimes and try and take the label from them to make myself seem less lame.

I can't confidently tell if you're agreeing with my post or ridiculing me, haha. Because that's basically how I feel, and what I'm guilty of doing. There's an undeniable stigma attached to the genre, but there are also your quality emo bands: Toe, American Football, Mineral, Promise Ring, Cap'n Jazz, TWIABP, and so on. It gets tricky distinguishing the good from the garbage as soon you throw that word out there, which is why I try to avoid the label when I can. But sometimes I slip.

I feel like calling The Used a rock band is a pretty big disservice to rock music, but that's just me. I guess a few of their songs have grooves and riffs, but a lot of it is super sappy cheese-pop and laughably corny ballads. As a late-teen, I had to stop listening to The Used in the car on account of the constant eye rolling behind the wheel – Bert so frequently dives into the campy numbers that it wasn't worth swerving into the median.

On the plus side, we're basically at the 10 year anniversary mark of when it was okay to enjoy this band. So that's kind of cool. I'm not in this thread to pigeonhole them or define their genre, specifically. I just want to shame tug (or anyone else – so, basically rug) who may insist that The Used are a remotely credible band, today.

I can't confidently tell if you're agreeing with my post or ridiculing me, haha. Because that's basically how I feel, and what I'm guilty of doing. There's an undeniable stigma attached to the genre, but there are also your quality emo bands: Toe, American Football, Mineral, Promise Ring, Cap'n Jazz, TWIABP, and so on. It gets tricky distinguishing the good from the garbage as soon you throw that word out there, which is why I try to avoid the label when I can. But sometimes I slip.

I feel like calling The Used a rock band is a pretty big disservice to rock music, but that's just me. I guess a few of their songs have grooves and riffs, but a lot of it is super sappy cheese-pop and laughably corny ballads. As a late-teen, I had to stop listening to The Used in the car on account of the constant eye rolling behind the wheel – Bert so frequently dives into the campy numbers that it wasn't worth swerving into the median.

On the plus side, we're basically at the 10 year anniversary mark of when it was okay to enjoy this band. So that's kind of cool. I'm not in this thread to pigeonhole them or define their genre, specifically. I just want to shame tug (or anyone else – so, basically rug) who may insist that The Used are a remotely credible band, today.

Didn't someone here get absolutely torn apart for arguing that Toe is an emo band?

Not ridiculing you, I've got your back!

Didn't someone here get absolutely torn apart for arguing that Toe is an emo band?

Don't mind me, I'm just being meta.

Not ridiculing you, I've got your back!

You always seem to; our situation seems pretty relatable on this topic, as far as age / tastes / etc. are concerned. I'm glad someone else can get where I'm coming from.

I think you are dumb Derek. The Used is obviously the best rock band in existence right now and if you dont get that you must be emo and work at hot topic and listen to toe. The Used is like a contemporary u2 or something even better but i dont expect everyone to get it because greatness isnt easy to understand.

But you can experience it via itunes here for 9.99 http://ituneslink.

I think you are dumb Derek. The Used is obviously the best rock band in existence right now and if you dont get that you must be emo and work at hot topic and listen to toe. The Used is like a contemporary u2 or something even better but i dont expect everyone to get it because greatness isnt easy to understand.

But you can experience it via itunes here for 9.99 http://ituneslink.

I loled. Can't wait for tug to say something along the lines of "this guy gets it".

lol It's funny because that's exactly what Dan said you'd post. lol

But really, fuck off.

I am actually a fan of Derek and Dan the river so I am with them on this and need to back them. In addition tug your taste in music fucking sucks if you think the used is the best band of the last decade.

I am actually a fan of Derek and Dan the river so I am with them on this and need to back them. In addition tug your taste in music fucking sucks if you think the used is the best band of the last decade.

Forum affinity shouldn't even be a weighed factor when considering whether or not to shoo off a Used troll. I feel like we should all be able to put aside our differences and call out garbage for what it is. I know it's painful to trudge through, but have you seen the trailer for this release, three pages back? Atrocious. Just absolutely disgusting. I know we're all probably feeding right out of tug's hand - since I have a hard time believing that anyone can appreciate The Used in 2016, let alone adore them - and he truly is an uninspired, melodramatic troll... but if the ridicule in this thread can make just one user (or guest) question their tastes or second-guess a purchase of this DVD / LP, I'll feel like we've truly accomplished something beautiful here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

WTF that photo shows they messed up the label on record 2 and it has the title on top and its blank on the bottom. WTF!! i am so picky about stuff like this. since the used went to hopeless i have found a typo/mistake like this on every release so far!!!  :angry:

Quality pressing for a quality band?  If the shoe fits...

I thought this would be the last place you would post, Derek. Was not disappointed.

I've been enjoying this thread / feeding this troll for a considerable amount of time, along with a few others.  I know I shouldn't but there's something about this topic that fascinates me.  I just wish it wouldn't get bumped with the same rehashed posts from one user.