nick bassett/homophobes/transphobes thread

dvv

I don't think there will be another B & E for me, but based on the earlier posts of Nothing using more instruments (strings most notably), I think it could be a "fuller" album. Whether or not that translates to better music, who knows?

not to be that guy but I still prefer the demo version of B&E

Fixed that for ya'.

You guys think this will top GOE?

Not a chance.

Agreed. I also agree with Derek though. Even though it won't top GoE, I'm sure it'll be worth picking up.

Nothing will ever touch the perfection that is GoE. But I'm hoping this will be like Deafheaven as people are expecting 2.0, but we get something completely brilliant in its own right.

Speaking of turds, anyone hear the New Order cover ("Leave Me Alone") that Nothing posted to their Bandcamp a couple days ago?

https://wearenothing.bandcamp.com/track/leave-me-alone-a-new-order-tribute

It is the worst thing they have ever done.  And does not make me hopeful for the new record now. 

Also that dummy Bassett plays on it.

One of my favorite bands covering one of my favorite songs by my favorite band, and they dropped the ball. 

The disappointment I feel is staggering.

seriously. the last two pages have been so cringe inducing.

lol @ "cringe inducing". Really? Early speculation on how an album stacks up in a discography just makes your skin crawl, huh? To each his own.

I don't think anyone is proclaiming how good or bad the new album will be. Saying "GOE can't be topped" is a little hyperbolic, but I don't think the people saying that are truly cemented in saying all of Nothing's output - from here on out - will be inferior. That's ridiculous. I don't think I have to be a clairvoyant to insist that GOE will be tough to outshine.

I guess we'll all sit quietly until Summer 2016 and not discuss the band's music or possible quality of new releases.

I don't think anyone is proclaiming how good or bad the new album will be. Saying "GOE can't be topped" is a little hyperbolic, but I don't think the people saying that are truly cemented in saying all of Nothing's output - from here on out - will be inferior. That's ridiculous. I don't think I have to be a clairvoyant to insist that GOE will be tough to outshine.

Very well said as always. It's less saying that Tired of Tomorrow will be inferior, but more so just expressing our love, and admiration for Guilty of Everything. That album is a staple, a game changer. I'm really looking forward to what Nothing does next, especially after reading the recent VICE article with Dom talking about it. This is one of those bands that you can say "(insert album here) is perfection", but still, somehow, know that the follow up is going to be great. Maybe it'll be perfection in new way, in its own right. Nothing has the talent, they have the ambition, they have the resources to put out a great album, and I expect nothing (ha) less from them.

All I know is I'm eagerly awaiting this.

Also, it looks like Nick isn't in the band anymore. When I saw them in Austin last month Nick wasn't there and they made some excuse about not having to fly him all the way out to play one show. I don't think they ever publicly released it, but the "gay-basher" as you guys call him is most likely out of the band.

Looks like Nick is still in the band, according to their Facebook. I'm guessing that one dude is filling in temporarily.

GAN69J4.png

This was in the VICE article w/ Dom:

Another recent incident has to do with Whirr, which features your bassist Nick Bassett. Obviously Nick has been with you for a while, and Whirr recently had that issue with Twitter.  
Nick was, and has been, dealing with the recent passing of his mother, one of the only family members that he was still in contact with. Their Facebook and Twitter accounts have always been a trolling thing for the band in total. While Nick was definitely involved with trolling, and I told him he should watch out for that, he had nothing to do with that specific incident. Anyone who knows me or some of the actions we’ve taken in the name of equality and tolerance in general, they know that I would have nothing to do with anyone like that. All of our signs of solidarity, with merch or the label or whatever it was, all of that happened before any of this Whirr shit.

//

I'm still kind of out of the loop about the whole Whirr ordeal. I know the gist of it, but was it ever confirmed exactly who were the ones posting the tweets, and such? I think I remember them saying one of their 'friends' took over the account at some point, they cut ties with him, but don't know if that was ever confirmed true?

This was in the VICE article w/ Dom:

Another recent incident has to do with Whirr, which features your bassist Nick Bassett. Obviously Nick has been with you for a while, and Whirr recently had that issue with Twitter.  

Nick was, and has been, dealing with the recent passing of his mother, one of the only family members that he was still in contact with. Their Facebook and Twitter accounts have always been a trolling thing for the band in total. While Nick was definitely involved with trolling, and I told him he should watch out for that, he had nothing to do with that specific incident. Anyone who knows me or some of the actions we’ve taken in the name of equality and tolerance in general, they know that I would have nothing to do with anyone like that. All of our signs of solidarity, with merch or the label or whatever it was, all of that happened before any of this Whirr shit.

//

I'm still kind of out of the loop about the whole Whirr ordeal. I know the gist of it, but was it ever confirmed exactly who were the ones posting the tweets, and such? I think I remember them saying one of their 'friends' took over the account at some point, they cut ties with him, but don't know if that was ever confirmed true?

At this point...I don't even really care. Whoever it was is a turd and probably always will be a turd. Not gonna stop listening to any bands over it or anything. It's just a bummer that people have to be intolerant.

Never 100% confirmed that it was Nick, but he ended up taking the blame and most of the people who got mad pinned it on him because he had "trolled" people on the Whirr account in the past.

Really could not care less who it was either, though. I've met Nick a few times before and he's a super nice guy. 

Don't forget Turnover. That record was perfect.

Not to get too far off topic but I'm really curious to see how they follow PV up. Just like how I'm really curious about how Nothing is going to follow up GoE. Especially since both were such personal albums. It'll be interesting to hear what's been going on in their heads.