PO: Explosions In The Sky - The Wilderness

Xsjado

Sorry if I missed it, but are the retail copies presumed to be black? Dig that tour variant but they're playing two hours away here in AZ :/

Some shops will be getting a red/clear colored variant. Check out Stinkweeds. they'll be getting a colored variant for sure. Other shops like Zia may only get the black color.

Here's info on the Retail Variant:  http://temporaryresidence.com/eitspreorder

Some shops will be getting a red/clear colored variant. Check out Stinkweeds. they'll be getting a colored variant for sure. Other shops like Zia may only get the black color.

Here's info on the Retail Variant: http://temporaryresidence.com/eitspreorder

oh sweet thanks I completely missed that. Stinkweeds is great, they introduced me to Appleseed Cast when Two Conversations came out!

After the first listen, I dig this. It feels pretty laid back with a lot more electronic elements than in previous albums. Not a lot of massive build ups/crescendos either, which I think will disappoint a lot of fans. Overall, I don't know how I'd rank it but probably somewhere in the middle of their discography. Looking forward to more listens, I'm intriguied.

Not a lot of massive build ups/crescendos either

I'm pretty happy about this. I feel this has become the cliche go-to for newer cookie cutter post rock bands. I saw a band open for Caspian on the Waking Season tour and that was their shit, just build ups over six minutes and turning knobs on their delay pedals to end songs.

Yeah, they needed to at this point. If this album would've sounded like an extension of Take Care, I'd be considerably less excited for all things EITS, going forward. It seems like they're very conscious of how necessary it is to mix things up. I hear a lot of Inventions in The Wilderness – which should be a shocker to no one – but seeing as I'm a fan of Inventions, I'd say it works pretty well for my personal enjoyment.

Those crescendos that kjkenney spoke of aren't there, it's true, but the tracks still have some highlights and noteworthy moments. Whether it's a genuinely well-crafted melody or a build with the drums, there were no shortage of moments that had me stopping what I was doing to acknowledge how good things were. I'm pretty sure every track brought something to the table, even if a few of them weren't immediately apparent – I can't say the same for 100% of the material on Take Care.

But, y'know, since everyone's unimpressed by this album and considers it the band's worst work, I hope they won't mind picking me up a tour variant at some point. ;)

oh yeah, and definitely getting that tour variant if it's available next month :D

The linked image a page or two back has Worldwide Tour on the sticker but is a Temporary Residence release. Their label in the UK is Bella Union. Might not be avaialble over here. Probably worth trying to find out; can't see anything on any official EITS places.

The linked image a page or two back has Worldwide Tour on the sticker but is a Temporary Residence release. Their label in the UK is Bella Union. Might not be avaialble over here. Probably worth trying to find out; can't see anything on any official EITS places.

I was just assuming they would take their own merch across with them. I'm hoping that's the case anyway. 

I was just assuming they would take their own merch across with them. I'm hoping that's the case anyway. 

I guess it all depends on what deals have been done with record companies. My concern is based on it being a TR release but the record having been released by Bella Union over here. Their deal might allow it or it might not.

But why would they make a 'worldwide' tour variant if they can't be bothered dragging it around? 

This is also a good point. By the looks of it, Bella Union do Europe and TR do the rest (everything on Amazon Japan is an import but Oz stores say TR). Probably a good idea to ask, though they don't seem to reply to FB questions. When I looked earlier, the tour variant wasn't even there. Couldn't see anything on Instagram or Twitter either. An official announcement would probably help.

This is also a good point. By the looks of it, Bella Union do Europe and TR do the rest (everything on Amazon Japan is an import but Oz stores say TR). Probably a good idea to ask, though they don't seem to reply to FB questions. When I looked earlier, the tour variant wasn't even there. Couldn't see anything on Instagram or Twitter either. An official announcement would probably help.

There's still pictures of it on Instagram. Here's some more:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDZmcDUHGZR/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDb9OCKwnSZ

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDYJV3AhrGA/

12907333_1562788410716662_1673250446_n.j1530635_1766035970291649_1911422979_n.jp

10643977_1909393355953793_270133807_n.jp