PO || SUMAC - What One Becomes

I will never understand how The Deal puts you to sleep but done-to-death formulaic post-rock puts your jaw on the floor. Tastes are all subjective, yeah... but you truly are a mystery, Gumbo.

I almost understand.  The Deal / Aaron Turner didn't click for me until I saw Sumac play live.  And I used to be blown away by formulaic Post-Rock, but after a few months I was able to discern what was good versus just what was new to my ear.

Regardless, see Sumac live if you can, it's monstrous.

I almost understand. The Deal / Aaron Turner didn't click for me until I saw Sumac play live. And I used to be blown away by formulaic Post-Rock, but after a few months I was able to discern what was good versus just what was new to my ear.

Regardless, see Sumac live if you can, it's monstrous.

I kind of get it. I mean, I can see Deal clicking way more after catching them live. But even when all we had was a single, I thought it ripped pretty damn hard. Definitely hard enough to continually revisit, you know? My first listen of the whole record was definitely a bit more challenging than I thought it'd be, but that's honestly what makes it so rewarding to listen to, now. There's a lot of slower doom and sludge that I just can't get into, but I think Sumac's debut implements those sounds while also laying out so many more interesting components and complexities onto the table. It wasn't immediately apparent, but damn do I love it.

So gutted they had to cancel their last few tour dates, though. The broke that news about a week before I was supposed to see them play a very cozy bar-cafe. Hopefully I'll get a chance to catch them sooner than later.

I will never understand how The Deal puts you to sleep but done-to-death formulaic post-rock puts your jaw on the floor. Tastes are all subjective, yeah... but you truly are a mystery, Gumbo.

Ha! I know, I'm an enigma. It's part of the character I cultivate for myself! lol

I donno man, I just can't get into it. It's too rickety, in a way, kind of all over the place. I've tried multiple times, too.

Post-rock though... it's an aural aesthetics thing, I think. That SOUND just gets me every time. Doesn't necessarily matter who's doing it. A lot of it has to do with the fact that post-rock is a compositional version of what Phish does with their best jams, building to peaks and having dynamic shifts, etc.

Either way, I gotta cut this short because I'm out the door to go see Iron Maiden tonight in Montreal!!!!

New tour dates.  Sadly, I'll be out of town for the Seattle show.

05/20 Bellingham, WA – The Shakedown
05/21 Seattle, WA – Black Lodge
05/22 Portland, OR – Bunk Bar
05/23 Eugene, OR – The Boreal
05/24 Ashland, OR – Club 66
05/26 Chico, CA – TBA
05/27 San Francisco, CA – Hemlock Tavern
05/28 Sacramento, CA – Starlite Lounge
05/29 Los Angeles, CA – The Complex
05/30 Phoenix, AZ – Valley Bar
05/31 Albuquerque, NM – Sister
06/01 El Paso, TX – Bowie Feathers