What not to buy on vinyl

Bone Thugs East 1999 org pressing and South Circle Anotha Day Anotha Baller the audio on both of these albums sounds like crap they made the audio quality crappy to fit these albums on one double sided record

Meat Loaf Bat Out Of Hell either it was slowed down or speed up I do not remember which to fit one one double sided record

Bone Thugs East 1999 org pressing and South Circle Anotha Day Anotha Baller the audio on both of these albums sounds like crap they made the audio quality crappy to fit these albums on one double sided record

Meat Loaf Bat Out Of Hell either it was slowed down or speed up I do not remember which to fit one one double sided record

Awesome

Thanks for the input.

Speaking of PF, i have a late 70s US pressing of ANIMALS (bar code on back cover, store bought new in 1980 or 1981) that is definitely cut slow. It's not terrible and you would not know if you hadn't heard other pressings. But If you compare to an original UK and an original US you can notice it. Fyi...

What do you mean, cut slow? Does that mean that the songs are longer because their tempo is reduced?

I think you heard wrong. My original copy of The Wall sounds excellent and better than any other version I've heard. The tempo and pitch are fine.

Yeah, I have my friend's dad's original 1st press Wall, and it sounds fucking INCREDIBLE. Absolutely incredible.

Except Comfortably Numb. That song sounds like ass because its at the end of Side 3. The fidelity suffers because of it's placement on the inside of the play surface.

Which is a shame; they should have re-arranged it to make that the starting track on side 4 just so that you can get the full beauty of that track. Oh well.

This reminds me, I need Pink Floyd albums on vinyl. Are the new issues worth the price? I almost picked up WYWH at the store the other day, but they're like $40.

I'd like to have originals, because I want the original mix. Can anybody comment on how the remasters sound vs. the original mixes?

As long as I can get Roger's thumping bass super loud during the middle breakdown in Pigs, I'm good.

Rolling Stones "Beggar's Banquet" was slower than intended for 30 years on pretty much all releases of it, the clearly classic reissue has the corrected speed and uses the SACD master.

Also Bob Dylan "Blood On The Tracks", they sped up all the songs 1-3%. There is a Columbia Half-Speed Master that uses the pre-sped up tape and it's immediately noticeable.

Just on the subject of pitch or speed changes.

What do you mean, cut slow? Does that mean that the songs are longer because their tempo is reduced?

Yeah, I have my friend's dad's original 1st press Wall, and it sounds fucking INCREDIBLE. Absolutely incredible.

Except Comfortably Numb. That song sounds like ass because its at the end of Side 3. The fidelity suffers because of it's placement on the inside of the play surface.

Which is a shame; they should have re-arranged it to make that the starting track on side 4 just so that you can get the full beauty of that track. Oh well.

This reminds me, I need Pink Floyd albums on vinyl. Are the new issues worth the price? I almost picked up WYWH at the store the other day, but they're like $40.

I'd like to have originals, because I want the original mix. Can anybody comment on how the remasters sound vs. the original mixes?

As long as I can get Roger's thumping bass super loud during the middle breakdown in Pigs, I'm good.

The 2011 WYWH is incredible and slays my original press. You definitely need it.

Bat Out of Hell II : Back into Hell?  It's cut at a low volume level to accomodate its 74 minute run time on a single LP.

There is a rare Zimbabewean 2 LP pressing.  Which is my white wale record.  

Also Bob Dylan "Blood On The Tracks", they sped up all the songs 1-3%. There is a Columbia Half-Speed Master that uses the pre-sped up tape and it's immediately noticeable.

Just on the subject of pitch or speed changes.

Wait, just to be clear, are you saying the Columbia Half Speed is the correct one to purchase?

It's like $36 here, and The Wall is about $44. Still worth it at those prices? I own zero Floyd because I've never seen one under $30.

Okay, so I'm going to sound a little nuts here. But hear me out. Pink Floyd Dark Side 180 reissue sounds amazing to me.

I just put it on for the first time a couple weeks ago. Hearing the tone arm itself on the recording adds a new level I would have never imagined to the music. And, this is the part where I sound a little crazy but I swear Pink Floyd designed the album knowing this. It's like the whole, Dark Side of Oz thing...

You know how Pink Floyd loves using so many different elements and effects. It is like the vinyl itself - the record itself- is another element of sound control.

You can hear every cannon and peak in the vinyl. It is seriously like hearing a new album. I really think (okay not literally think maybe) that they knew that the album would sound a certain way on a record and designed it for that.

Wait, just to be clear, are you saying the Columbia Half Speed is the correct one to purchase?

It's just a different listening experience, I've only heard a digital rip the one time and I'd love to have a copy but it was $50 the one time I saw it in person. I've heard the latest MOFI release of it is one of the better sounding versions, but I think only the columbia half speed uses the pre-sped tape.

Okay, so I'm going to sound a little nuts here. But hear me out. Pink Floyd Dark Side 180 reissue sounds amazing to me.

I just put it on for the first time a couple weeks ago. Hearing the tone arm itself on the recording adds a new level I would have never imagined to the music. And, this is the part where I sound a little crazy but I swear Pink Floyd designed the album knowing this. It's like the whole, Dark Side of Oz thing...

You know how Pink Floyd loves using so many different elements and effects. It is like the vinyl itself - the record itself- is another element of sound control.

You can hear every cannon and peak in the vinyl. It is seriously like hearing a new album. I really think (okay not literally think maybe) that they knew that the album would sound a certain way on a record and designed it for that.

If you want to hear how they intended it to be heard you need to hear the UK very 1st pressing with the solid triangle labels and dark navy blue sleeve. It is much better than any subsequent pressing which is probably why it's bloody expensive.

Avoid the XX remaster of Rage debut.

Avoid the last Jane's Addiction album on vinyl. In each case it sounds like they've tried to cut the same awful loudness wars CD to vinyl and it sounds worse. Not surprisingly Vlado Meller was the mastering engineer on both. Want RATM? Get the original all analogue US cut or second best would be original UK or Music on Vinyl MOVLP043, some Amazon sellers still have it in stock.

You guys ever get a record from a supposed bad pressing and it sounds fine? I ordered a copy of Saves The Day - S/T from a distro and expected a white copy to show up since the black ones allegedly sound like dump, it ended up being a black copy and it sounds great.

Same thing with the latest Drug Church LP, a lot of people were getting a 'pop' during playback but I don't hear it at all.

You guys ever get a record from a supposed bad pressing and it sounds fine? I ordered a copy of Saves The Day - S/T from a distro and expected a white copy to show up since the black ones allegedly sound like dump, it ended up being a black copy and it sounds great.

Same thing with the latest Drug Church LP, a lot of people were getting a 'pop' during playback but I don't hear it at all.

My copy of Emery's The Question sounds fine but a lot of people complained about IGD. I'll have to throw on Drug Church later cuz I just got it recently, but don't remember any pops on my first listen.

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.  I have the 3x12" version, aside from being slightly ss-ss-s-sibilant it's good.

Finch- What it is to Burn - original pressing.  It's noticeably more dynamic than the 2013 UMG reissue.