Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I picked up 2 cure color represses a while ago on vinyl lovers records from my local shop. When I went to add them on Discogs, seventeen seconds was official, but pornography was not, and barred from sale.  Thought that was weird.  

 

And some bootlegs I think are worth the pick up, joy division is a good example of that.  But I stay away from counterfeits, even though some seem to be pretty good.  Like from what I’ve heard the third queens of the stone age record has some pretty good sounding ones out there.

 

Last thing, those dag nasty boots above are pretty damn cool.  

Edited by Dhesketh
Third qotsa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, daegor said:

Bummed about Discogs blocking unofficial releases, I had a bunch of them in my wantlist I was going to get around to getting someday.

 

In general where do you guys go now?  Is it just eBay now really?

I always wondered too. I only grab stuff when I see em locally. Ended up snagging a really rare one from The Smiths recently, Hammersmith. Found it for $20 at one of my regular stops in town. Never been a huge live boot guy but I had to snag that one. Audio quality is really iffy but it's whatever, I like having the early live stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, daegor said:

Bummed about Discogs blocking unofficial releases, I had a bunch of them in my wantlist I was going to get around to getting someday.

 

In general where do you guys go now?  Is it just eBay now really?

You can google and find some alternative marketplaces but it seems they are usually overseas marketplaces and they aren't as organized as Discogs or eBay. I actually used one of them two years ago and I dropped $50 on an R.E.M. bootleg that ended up skipping and the seller was some random Irish record shop that was really difficult to organize a return with because of the high return shipping fees. So, I've been reticent to dive back in to the international marketplaces.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish discogs still let you sell them because 1. It’s be a lot easier to find some of these and B. I have some boots that are worth a decent amount. 

Luckily a few of my local shops get a lot of the hip hop ones in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone know any good online stores to buy bootleg releases? Hip hop, punk, rock n roll -- all of it. I love bootlegs because I can get insanely priced out of print records for a reasonable price -- and honestly my experience has been pretty good with boots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have much in the way of vinyl bootlegs. I got a Gang of Four To Hell With Poverty BBC sessions lp that wasn't officially commissioned and is still available for sale on Discogs (???) and the Massive Attack at Royal Albert Hall 1998 that isn't.

I did buy, at a ridiculous price, a 1992 Aussie bootleg of a 1983 Live at the Tower in Philadelphia U2 live album from a store on Yonge Street notorious for selling every CD bootleg under the sun in the late 90s (and even getting busted at least once IIRC). Still own it and yeah, sucks that I don't know what its market value is. Thanks, Discogs!

My local  store carries the Channel Orange and Blonde boots. Last time I was in there some dude made sure to check, and did not buy when he found out it wasn't official. Smart man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Picked up a new one last night at a local record store. I've never seen this one before, but I'm always down to add a new GD boot to the collection. There are a few things that bother me about this one though.

1) The artwork (both the band photo AND the font) are from the 21CB era [2009-2010], yet the latest song on it is from Dookie [1994].

2) The tracks are censored.

3) Each track fades in and out. Yes, even the transition from "Chump" to "Longview," which honestly broke my heart a little bit.

5z2t1z.jpg

That's all. All-in-all, I'm still pretty stoked to add this to the collection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2018 at 1:15 PM, MyckelJay said:

Picked up a new one last night at a local record store. I've never seen this one before, but I'm always down to add a new GD boot to the collection. There are a few things that bother me about this one though.

1) The artwork (both the band photo AND the font) are from the 21CB era [2009-2010], yet the latest song on it is from Dookie [1994].

2) The tracks are censored.

3) Each track fades in and out. Yes, even the transition from "Chump" to "Longview," which honestly broke my heart a little bit.

5z2t1z.jpg

That's all. All-in-all, I'm still pretty stoked to add this to the collection.

Ahh, Park Ave CDs in Orlando. :)

 

I miss going in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

White Heat - The White Stripes

 

Comprises a bunch of early recordings of otherwise unreleased material as well as a few demos of album songs. Found at one of my local record stores.

 

https://www.discogs.com/White-Stripes-White-Heat/master/724945

My copy is on red wax. It sounds pitched upward slightly on a standard record player, but my turntable has pitch shift function. I just have to pitch it down a few cents and it sounds great for what it is. The "album art" is super bootleg though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2018 at 6:38 AM, Plarocks said:

What did it look like?

 

This?

 

Looked like this one, but I didn't have the chance to open it up and see what color the vinyl was. Same sticker on the front though.

https://www.discogs.com/Prince-Black-Album/release/8952773

Edited by serum7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, sugarballs said:

If anyone knows where I can get a boot of QOTSA - Songs for the Deaf I'd appreciate it! I hadn't even consider looking for one until stumbling into this thread. 

Search eBay. There are usually a couple copies up for grabs. 

 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR10.TRC0.A0.H0.Xsongs+for+the+deaf+vinyl.TRS0&_nkw=songs+for+the+deaf+vinyl&_sacat=0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, sugarballs said:

If anyone knows where I can get a boot of QOTSA - Songs for the Deaf I'd appreciate it! I hadn't even consider looking for one until stumbling into this thread. 

https://globalgroove.co.uk/records/queens-of-the-stone-age/songs-for-the-deaf/

 

Globalgroove.UK is one on the best places to find boots at decent prices

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Skeezer13 said:

 

1 hour ago, SandwichRecords said:

https://globalgroove.co.uk/records/queens-of-the-stone-age/songs-for-the-deaf/

 

Globalgroove.UK is one on the best places to find boots at decent prices

Thanks Sandwich and Skeezer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for Vinyl Collective. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×