PO: THE GASLIGHT ANTHEM "The 59 Sound" LP

Guest Admin

I've honestly never heard anyone say otherwise. Here's an actual unpopular opinion: Handwritten is their best record and American Slang is probably their worst.

Unpopular or not, that statement is wrong. Handwritten is their worst and American Slang is their best.

Get Hurt, that's their best. Hey, THAT is an unpopular opinion.

I've honestly never heard anyone say otherwise. Here's an actual unpopular opinion

Lol.

And no, American Slang is a great album. Get Hurt is by far their worst release.

Fuck it,

'59 Sound > Handwritten > American Slang > Sink or Swim > Señor > All their crappy one off 7"s like Tumblin' Dice (The Fake Problems split wasn't terrible but their cover isn't nearly as good as the original) > Get Hurt

Sink or Swim>The 59 Sound>Get Hurt>American Slang>Handwritten

I remember getting Sink or Swim and knowing very little about them and being absolutely blown away on the first listen (I never should've traded that first press black vinyl copy). The 59 Sounds is fantastic, but it doesn't come close to matching the energy and urgency of Sink or Swim. And their shows after SoS came out were unreal (though, they were awesome when they toured in support of 59 Sound too).

More and more I've just been looking at bands entire discography and just lumping all the albums together. Sure some albums are more enjoyable than others and even some songs off the same album are more enjoyable than others. But if I have to skip an entire album then I don't really like the band.

More and more I've just been looking at bands entire discography and just lumping all the albums together. Sure some albums are more enjoyable than others and even some songs off the same album are more enjoyable than others. But if I have to skip an entire album then I don't really like the band.

Do you still like Taking Back Sunday?

Sink or Swim blew me away when it came out. It was a transitional time in my life and and I listened to it everyday for 3 months. I first saw them in a basement in New Brunswick in 2007 with 40 other people who went insane. That is still one of my favorite shows I ever went to. That said other than Señor and the Queen, nothing else came close to that album for me.

TL:DR

Sink or Swim >>>>>>>>>>> Handwritten > American Slang > The 59 Sound > Get Hurt.

'59>SOS>Señor>AmSlang>Handwritten

Still haven't gotten Get Hurt. Which, if you remember how I was about this band, is saying something. Collection was broken up, and I just got disheartened. Not building it back up, and actually broke it up more. Oh well.

I'm in yr boat. Seriously considering unloading my black SOS to make some adult plans or pay off student debt.

Sink or Swim = 59 Sound > Handwritten > Get Hurt > American Slang.  

Aside from a few songs, I don't like American Slang.

This is the correct answer.

American Slang is practically unlistenable for me.  I'm glad they've limited the album to 2-3 songs live.

Senor and the Queen is my favorite material of theirs, overall.

yea i saw them in Pacifica w/ the girl who booked the show, her sister, my 7 mo. pregnant wife, the opening band, brian's wife doing merch, and maybe 2 other people after SOS and it was a great show. they lost me pretty quickly after 59 Sound. i finally stopped turning down offers for my black SOS and white/splatter and just kept the Euro blue one. i got rid of senor and the queen and that demos set and whatever else i had along the way too. that was a fast peak and crash of interest in a band for me. i still like SOS though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...