MLB Discussion

Why have him on the roster then? I mean I get it you don't want to "throw him in the fire" but any close game in the late innings in the playoffs is exactly that. At least if he got burned, it'd make sense. Not aruging because I'm not rooting for anyone in particular, just thought it was mistake.

Honest answer is that they just don't have anyone better so they are keeping him around hoping they can get him in some non-pressure situations, he looks good, and maybe you can get something out of him later.

If he wasn't on the postseason roster, it would have been Luke Putkonen. Give me Benoit over any Phil or Luke any day, regardless of the righty/lefty thing. His numbers have been pretty good against guys from both sides all year. Alvarez is a lefty too but same comments apply.

I just think Leyland tinkered too much looking at the names at the top of that lineup. Let a guy get into a rhythm and get some outs. He burned through the whole bullpen (that you would want to actually pitch) in an inning basically.

beniot had given up 5 home runs all season, and 1 to a lefty. it seems ridiculous to me that people (torii..) are questioning the decision to even pitch to ortiz, who had looked like garbage in every at bat of the series leading up to it. 

but then again, he is the clutchiest of clutch hitters to ever clutch.

in my hometown, columbus day is a big deal where there are tag sales every which way, and everyone's out and about. i wore my ortiz jersey and sox hat proud, but i'm honestly STUNNED how many people didn't see it. aside from a couple of guys working tables today, no one i know actually stayed up for the game. fuck, my dad went to bed after the sox got their first hit.

i mean, i stopped paying attention for a couple innings, but at least it was on for me to realize shit was about to go down.

I think Benoit had a run last year where he gave up 10 homers in 15 innings (or something along those lines). So he has definitely had some bad streaks. I REALLY hope it doesn't happen again. That fact that it was Ortiz is a little comforting but it's not like he hit a great pitch. It was a meatball.

Not too jazzed on this Verlander / Lackey matchup but we'll see.

first person i would trust with the ball in the boston rotation is lackey.

lester is overrated, peavy has struggled with runners on base all year, buchholz overperformed during the year and is now serving up postseason batting practice.

Anybody that thinks Coke is a better option vs Ortiz than Benoit is crazy. That would be the most obvious case of over managing in the history of baseball.

Handedness doesn't matter when one pitcher is ice cold and god awful while the other one was one of the best few relievers in baseball this season.

first person i would trust with the ball in the boston rotation is lackey.

lester is overrated, peavy has struggled with runners on base all year, buchholz overperformed during the year and is now serving up postseason batting practice.

buchholz overperformed? that's the dumbest thing i've ever read in this thread.

beniot had given up 5 home runs all season, and 1 to a lefty. it seems ridiculous to me that people (torii..) are questioning the decision to even pitch to ortiz, who had looked like garbage in every at bat of the series leading up to it. 

but then again, he is the clutchiest of clutch hitters to ever clutch.

in my hometown, columbus day is a big deal where there are tag sales every which way, and everyone's out and about. i wore my ortiz jersey and sox hat proud, but i'm honestly STUNNED how many people didn't see it. aside from a couple of guys working tables today, no one i know actually stayed up for the game. fuck, my dad went to bed after the sox got their first hit.

i mean, i stopped paying attention for a couple innings, but at least it was on for me to realize shit was about to go down.

one of my buddies weddings was on Friday and he and his wife are doing a roadtrip up the coast from boston to maine for their honeymoon and they stayed in boston and salem for the first couple nights and he sent me a txt message right around the end of that game and all it said was "no one here is watching this epic ending!  WTF?!".  So weird.

why are the cardinals and braves the first to become baseballs fun-police?  i mean, its seriously getting really annoying to hear players from either franchise titty-baby about how the other team acts.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/stl/st-louis-cardinals-take-issue-with-los-angeles-dodgers-celebrations?ymd=20131015&content_id=62962860&vkey=news_stl

Since they can't afford to bean those guys, I guess they just have to complain about it. I was kind of surprised to see Gonzalez so animated but when you're down 2-0 in the NLCS, you should probably try to fire people up. Puig is a character. But if that ball would have bounced in the fielder's favor, he'd have been dead meat at second base and you'd only be hearing about how he costs his team with his immaturity. I'm sure there will still be plenty of those instances to even out the good ones. I love baseball and don't care who wins this series and it's kind of fun to see a little extra emotion for once. 

fucking ridiculous to get upset at gonzo. i'd be pissed at my player if he weren't getting fired up in that situation.

and the more i read about puig and whatnot, the more he just comes across as manny 2.0

In Medlens defense he had a great season despite subpar run support to follow up his crazy second half last year. He does well for a guy who's fastball tops out at 89

i actually like medlen despite what i said -- just trying to make a point n' stuff. i think medlen next year will split the difference between his 2012 and 2013. maybe even outperform minor (in 2014, not minor's 2013 necessarily).

i just realized my girlfriend is going to be in boston this weekend if the series reaches game 6. i'm so jealous!!! it's adorable how hard she tries to understand baseball. she said she'll watch the game at a local bar for me.

also, lackey got the win today... i win!

lackey was unbelievable today. but with buck and mccarver you'd never know it, because how bout that justin verlander! golly he sure is great. let's talk about him all night- here are some more stats about the losing pitcher!