MLB Discussion

As for Buckner I really feel bad for him. Yeah he booted the ball that won Game 6. But that was after Schiraldi and Stanley shit the bed. Mets had nobody on with two outs. Then they had a chance in game 7. For further reference:

so good haha. i used to love that game.

also, who's that cubs fan everyone hates? anyway, everyone always overlooks the grounder alex gonzalez totally botched (double play chance i think?) and the shitstorm that ensued after. not that i'm defending the guy but history hasn't been kind to the guy who made the more obvious/notorious mistake.

If he was the same playeror even close, he would have priced himself off The Twins in only a couple more seasons anyway

Who knows. They paid Mauer.

I believe the funniest part of that situation is that they cut him loose because they said he didn't have enough power.

They also traded AJ Pierzinski around this time for Joe Nathan, Fransisco Liriano, and one more reliever (Pat Neshek, I believe). Think those moves evened out.

Who knows. They paid Mauer.

I believe the funniest part of that situation is that they cut him loose because they said he didn't have enough power.

They also traded AJ Pierzinski around this time for Joe Nathan, Fransisco Liriano, and one more reliever (Pat Neshek, I believe). Think those moves evened out.

they paid Mauer because he's the hometown, homegrown kid and the face of the franchise. 

lets not forget that 2003 was when Ortiz went to Boston and started mashing the ball... and its also the year that he tested positive in MLB's "anonymous" PED test (along with Manny, Arod, Sosa and players who no one remembers)... and when his numbers in 2008 dropped (and never really returned to 03-07 production) it was after MLB/MLBPA adopted the new drug policy below.  Still is one clutch hitting motherfucker though, really have always enjoyed watching him admire his homers

MLB, Players' Association Agree to new Drug Policy
April 13, 2008

Major League Baseball and the Player's Association agreed to amend MLB's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program. Most of the changes are derived from recommendations put forth by Senator George Mitchell in the Mitchell Report. Among the changes are testing of the top 200 prospects in each year's amateur draft, and the inclusion of insulin-like growth factor, gonadotropins, aromatase inhibitors, selective estrogen receptor modulators and antiestrogens, including clomid.

From Ortiz's wiki:

Alleged performance-enhancing drug positive test in 2003

On July 30, 2009, The New York Times reported that Ortiz and then-teammate Manny Ramirez were among a group of over 100 major league players on a list compiled by the federal government, that allegedly tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs during 2003 survey testing.[11] Five months before the Times allegations surfaced, Ortiz stated in an interview that players who tested positive for steroids should be suspended for an entire season.[11] Before the Red Sox's game that afternoon, Ortiz declined to comment on the report, saying, "I'm not talking about that anymore."[11] Afterwards, he confirmed that he'd been told that he was on the list and promised to speak with the media once he "[got] to the bottom of" the matter.[12]

Ten days later, Ortiz held a press conference before a game at Yankee Stadium and denied ever buying or using steroids and suggested the positive test might have been due to his use of supplements and vitamins at the time.[13] When asked which supplements he had been taking, Ortiz said he did not know.[14] Ortiz was accompanied at the press conference by the general counsel of the Major League Baseball Players Association. Because the list of players was seized as part of a government investigation and is currently under court-ordered seal pending the outcome of litigation, Weiner said the players union was unable to provide Ortiz with any details about his test result, including what substance he tested positive for.

On the same day, the Major League Baseball Players Association issued a statement[15] pointing out that because of several factors, any player appearing on the list compiled by the federal government in 2003 did not necessarily test positive for performance enhancing drugs. Among those factors were that the total number of players said to be on the list far exceeded the number of collected specimens that tested positive. In addition, there were questions raised regarding the lab that performed the testing and their interpretation of the positive tests. Also, the statement pointed out that certain legal supplements that were available over the counter at the time could possibly cause a positive test result.

Just saying that I don't really trust the Mitchell Report.

Ortiz probably would have left Minnesota regardless but we just don't know. Mauer being homegrown pushes things in his favor, but I don't think a team would sacrifice winning to keep a homegrown guy at any price. Maybe they kept both an traded Morneau. Will never know.

They did fuck up cutting him, though.