PO soon : The Gaslight Anthem - History Books .. (October 27th)

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, porkdad said:

How is the band live these days? They are playing my city in a few weeks and it’s like a $50 ticket. I haven’t seen them since the ‘59 Sound Tour in 2008 lol.

Saw them last October in Detroit. They looked and sounded reenergized compared to when I saw them during the Get Hurt pre-hiatus cycle. Though, I think it is probably a big shift from 2008, hahahaha. They seemed to be enjoying playing together again though, which made the show enjoyable.

10 hours ago, TheWindBlower said:

New song out today. It's great, has a Handwritten feel to it. I've accepted that the mixing is just going to be a bit off for this record. It is what it is; the songs are still fantastic in my (very biased) opinion.

This actually sounds like The Gaslight Anthem! 

17 hours ago, porkdad said:

How is the band live these days? They are playing my city in a few weeks and it’s like a $50 ticket. I haven’t seen them since the ‘59 Sound Tour in 2008 lol.

When they played Over the James with Avail, they sounded great and "heavier" than they sound recorded. It was my first time seeing them, but I enjoyed it.

• 1 month later...

I got the Black and the Clear w/ Smoke (it should actually be the Electric Smoke from JPC) and I'm sorry to say, both sound quite awful.  As if the speakers were defective. The comments on Discogs confirm this impression unfortunately ...

Edited by phelansegur

10 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

Streamed, since BV isn't shipping until November, and I am enjoying the album. Yeah, the mix and all, but it's not so bad that I can't appreciate the songs while listening on my headphones.

it just sounds... weird. brian doesnt sound good. it sounds thin but also somehow like it was recorded under water.

Edited by mattisr1984

Admittedly, my copy has not arrived, but I listened to the hi-res version today and the recording, mix, etc. sounded fine. I'm not saying it sounded great, but I'm a diehard fan and have accepted that we will probably never get another high production value recording.

Polish has never really been a part of their sound. We got polish with Handwritten and Get Hurt, but their productions were likely influenced by Island/big label factors.

OK, I finally listened to the 180g black vinyl. After listening to the digital hi res (96k 24b) files, I think there is a slightly different mix on the vinyl, but it still sounds good.  The only real difference I heard is Bruce's vocal is pulled up more on the vinyl. Not sure but it seems like some of the pressings have real defects.

Speaking of pressings, I don't know if the ForumMotion post about pressing quantities is accurate or not because apparently the limited 500 Rough Trade half black half yellow is still available?

• 1 month later...
On 12/22/2023 at 5:49 PM, SaulManella said:

Anyone else get a cancelation from alt press after it being delayed two months?

no, thankfully. that sucks!

but I did just get a shipping notification from Brooklyn Vegan. the alt press and BV were the same variant, right? maybe they oversold, could have had something to do with the delay.