NHL Discussion

I think Carlyle was the scapegoat for their organizational failures. I'm old, and I've been rooting for them since Doug Favell was a neighbor of mine in Mississauga in the 70's (no way any of you know of him since that really dates me). But I've freaking had it......each year they fail to show progress defensively, and so many of the players leave and do markedly better elsewhere.

They just finished a road trip where they blew multiple goal leads more than once (both Florida games I believe) and they are 2nd to last in the league in shots against(shocking!). Year after year, nothing really changes. A shortage of leadership, and players that underperform and are overpaid. What is firing Carlyle going to solve? I don't think Scotty Bowman could turn around this bunch. The team isn't going anywhere anytime soon, so might as well start selling at the trade deadline.

And yeah, I get why the Leafs are hated....their franchise isn't very likable, and I presume their games are still jammed down everyone's throats on TV in Canada no matter how far they are out of contention. I don't have kids, but if I did I sure as hell wouldn't want mine growing up rooting for a team that might not win a Cup in my lifetime.

Literally every facet of that organization has changed in the last decade. Ownership, GM, coaches, presidents etc. and it's alllllllways the same shit. The core is out to lunch. Kadri thinks he is Toews and Lupul doesn't give a fuck about anything/anyone but Lupul. Phaneuf is not a bad defence man no matter how much that fucking hurt me to say but he's not a captain YET he would easily be the best #3 defence man in the NHL no question. Phil Kessel does everything Kessel is advertised to do, Boston didn't like it that's why they dished him but he is VERY important, hell, even crucial in the right system.

The media fuels egos, and it starts fires for no reason other than filling the news. Blind faith from the fan base on so many inexplicable levels. It's a business, wholeheartedly. They don't give a fuck about their players, they certainly don't care about their prospects and development and they honestly don't give a fuck who is at the helm so long as it makes money. That's why Shanahan (a person with NO EXPERIENCE IN THE JOB FIELD HE JUST ENTERED) is their man. He doesn't have the tools or experience to turn it around, hell even his own teammates could hardly stand him, but fuck boys, it looks good right?!

The debate about the consistent thread between Cup winning teams has leaned towards goaltending as of late but I think if you look at those teams again you see it's more so drafting and development. It's a cap era, you have to do it and Toronto can't/refuses to. It's not a coincidence that players leave that organization to thrive elsewhere almost on a yearly basis. Gardiner was your fucking prize two years ago and now he's getting chewed up. Reilly will be the same because there is no one there teaching him shit. Leafs are overdue for a dumb trade so I could see JVR getting shipped out soon. 

The only way they could improve would be a full media blackout (impossible) or the fans smarten up and hold them accountable. But a Leafs jersey might as well be the white north american dude version of a Gucci purse at this point so that will never happen. 

Sorry, but if you care about good hockey, if you care about these promising young kids that are coming up trying to live their dream as a professional hockey player then you can't be a Leafs fan. 

Literally every facet of that organization has changed in the last decade. Ownership, GM, coaches, presidents etc. and it's alllllllways the same shit. The core is out to lunch. Kadri thinks he is Toews and Lupul doesn't give a fuck about anything/anyone but Lupul. Phaneuf is not a bad defence man no matter how much that fucking hurt me to say but he's not a captain YET he would easily be the best #3 defence man in the NHL no question. Phil Kessel does everything Kessel is advertised to do, Boston didn't like it that's why they dished him but he is VERY important, hell, even crucial in the right system.

The media fuels egos, and it starts fires for no reason other than filling the news. Blind faith from the fan base on so many inexplicable levels. It's a business, wholeheartedly. They don't give a fuck about their players, they certainly don't care about their prospects and development and they honestly don't give a fuck who is at the helm so long as it makes money. That's why Shanahan (a person with NO EXPERIENCE IN THE JOB FIELD HE JUST ENTERED) is their man. He doesn't have the tools or experience to turn it around, hell even his own teammates could hardly stand him, but fuck boys, it looks good right?!

The debate about the consistent thread between Cup winning teams has leaned towards goaltending as of late but I think if you look at those teams again you see it's more so drafting and development. It's a cap era, you have to do it and Toronto can't/refuses to. It's not a coincidence that players leave that organization to thrive elsewhere almost on a yearly basis. Gardiner was your fucking prize two years ago and now he's getting chewed up. Reilly will be the same because there is no one there teaching him shit. Leafs are overdue for a dumb trade so I could see JVR getting shipped out soon.

The only way they could improve would be a full media blackout (impossible) or the fans smarten up and hold them accountable. But a Leafs jersey might as well be the white north american dude version of a Gucci purse at this point so that will never happen.

Sorry, but if you care about good hockey, if you care about these promising young kids that are coming up trying to live their dream as a professional hockey player then you can't be a Leafs fan.

Well said man, wow!

Good rewad on Carlyle, http://t.co/VJBipYaUj0

When it rains, it pours.

it does, but he's got a cup, he'll be ok after all the other crap passes.

btw, happy belated bday and congrats on your engagement.  your gf, now fiancée, is beautiful.  glad you got to end the year on a high note.  (sorry, just so busy since like turkey day).

How the fuck did Lundqvist not make the ASG team? But Jimmy Howard AND FUCKING LUONGO made it?! Rask isn't even in it! How?! I guess 5 shut outs and 20 wins out don't mean shit. The only dudes with more wins this season than Hank on that list is Rinne and Price. No reason he shouldn't have made the ASG. 

lol.  I wish my team was as bad as yours (no offense) but I want one of those top two picks and with my teams shitty luck we won't get one cause we'll have crap lottery odds because we'll end up finishing 10th or 11th in the conference. I hate my team :/

Oh really? Remember that time you finished in 12th and you got the 5th overall pick? Don't tell me your team has shitty lottery odds. However we can agree on one thing, I hate your team too.

Also, Im mental for considering paying out the ass for Isles/Rangers tickets tuesday. But Im pissed off about Dallas losing today and the fact we lost last time they were in town. Fuck Long Island and fuck the Islanders. Yes Im mad. 

Going to Flyers/Bolts tomorrow, so pretty excited about that