What video games have you been playing?

58 minutes ago, throughbeingcruel said:

I cant fucking believe this NES Classic is such a big thing. Some are online for like $400. Fucking stupid. 

I know. Honestly I really want one, but I'd hate myself for spending $100 for it with extra controllers/extension cables (2 ft controller, really Nintendo?). That's why next paycheck I'm gonna order the stuff to build my own.

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-turn-your-raspberry-pi-into-a-retro-game-console-498561192

1 hour ago, dantheriver said:

Weird, you can't find a regular 3DS anywhere really as far as I've seen. When I was in the market for mine, all I saw was the New 3DS XL. Barely got ahold of the 2DS locally. 

1 hour ago, marc32137 said:

I know. Honestly I really want one, but I'd hate myself for spending $100 for it with extra controllers/extension cables (2 ft controller, really Nintendo?). That's why next paycheck I'm gonna order the stuff to build my own.

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-turn-your-raspberry-pi-into-a-retro-game-console-498561192

I didn't wanna spend more than $60 on it and don't plan to. I was only buying it for nostalgia anyway. 

2 hours ago, marc32137 said:

Had one for forever and it's significantly better than anything officially licensed is going to be.

I know this is going to sound crazy, but I just only recently got into Halo through the MasterChief Collection (like about 6 months ago or so) I have no idea how I missed this franchise, but I only played the Halo games very sparingly and now I'm totally hooked. Part of me loves the beautiful map designs and nostalgic feel to Halo:CE and Halo 2, but those map designs are awesome and playing team slayer, team snipers etc has got me hooked. 

2 hours ago, Holo said:

Had one for forever and it's significantly better than anything officially licensed is going to be.

Same here, I've got a Pi Zero and a Pi 3, and both run Retropie very well. The Mini  NES is nice but (licensing and emulation aside) it's just not worth paying the crazy prices people want for it. In fact, after Christmas I don't doubt you'll be able to pick it up for £20/$20 less than the retail price - they're not a limited run or anything. 

Of the two Pi's, I'd recommend the 3 over the Zero. Built in WiFi and Bluetooth, and even runs PS1, Dreamcast, and N64 games. I'm currently playing through Resident Evil 2 on the PS1. 

21 minutes ago, Le Gogh said:

Same here, I've got a Pi Zero and a Pi 3, and both run Retropie very well. The Mini  NES is nice but (licensing and emulation aside) it's just not worth paying the crazy prices people want for it. In fact, after Christmas I don't doubt you'll be able to pick it up for £20/$20 less than the retail price - they're not a limited run or anything. 

Of the two Pi's, I'd recommend the 3 over the Zero. Built in WiFi and Bluetooth, and even runs PS1, Dreamcast, and N64 games. I'm currently playing through Resident Evil 2 on the PS1. 

I have an older one that I have been using for a media center. Maybe I will upgrade this Christmas.

5 hours ago, Le Gogh said:

In fact, after Christmas I don't doubt you'll be able to pick it up for £20/$20 less than the retail price - they're not a limited run or anything. 

Every Walmart, Best Buy, and GameStop in the state of Indiana sold out by noon on Friday. If they aren't limited, Nintendo needs to hurry up with more. The guys at GameStop made it seem like this was just gonna be one run. 

7 minutes ago, throughbeingcruel said:

Every Walmart, Best Buy, and GameStop in the state of Indiana sold out by noon on Friday. If they aren't limited, Nintendo needs to hurry up with more. The guys at GameStop made it seem like this was just gonna be one run. 

It's just a marketing tactic, they're driving up demand by limiting how many are initially available. Nintendo have said that more will be coming. They did the same thing when the Wii launched. This guy explains it pretty well:

In a nutshell though, it's because the Wii U is being killed off and they have nothing to really push over the Christmas period, so by driving up demand they will hopefully sell more units than if they just flooded the shelves with them and they sat there for 6 months. 

2 hours ago, Le Gogh said:

It's just a marketing tactic, they're driving up demand by limiting how many are initially available. Nintendo have said that more will be coming. They did the same thing when the Wii launched. This guy explains it pretty well:

In a nutshell though, it's because the Wii U is being killed off and they have nothing to really push over the Christmas period, so by driving up demand they will hopefully sell more units than if they just flooded the shelves with them and they sat there for 6 months. 

I mean that makes sense for sure. My girlfriend and I were talking about the same thing, how Nintendo is currently only manufacturing and shipping handhelds right now so they really need more of these for Christmas. I'll totally buy one when they hit stores again. I would've preferred the SNES be remade though. Super Mario World is the best. 

8 hours ago, Le Gogh said:

Just ordered a Pi 3, cables, case, and 2 USB SNES controllers for $75ppd. Already have full libraries of NES, SNES, and Genesis ROMs on my computer so I'm excited to load those and have retro nights with friends. 

20 minutes ago, batman said:

The pi is tempting. Wouldn't you have to purchase a chassis as well?

You should really get a case, just really to avoid dust and it getting knocked etc. But honestly, I've had mine for a few months now and they're great. Small enough that you can pop it in a bag and take it to a friend's house etc. I've even taken mine to a hotel room and used it as I was away on my own for a night.

Retropie works with PS3 controllers as well so that may save you some money if you have one sitting around.

12 hours ago, Reshiram454 said:

Who's hyped for Sun and Moon?

Got mine on Wednesday! Pretty fun. A little bit TOO on the rails in the beginning, in my opinion. Obviously post-game is always better than the main game but... it's very, very hand-holdy in the beginning. Still feels great to be playing pokemon again.

12 hours ago, Reshiram454 said:

Who's hyped for Sun and Moon?

Got mine on Wednesday! Pretty fun. A little bit TOO on the rails in the beginning, in my opinion. Obviously post-game is always better than the main game but... it's very, very hand-holdy in the beginning. Still feels great to be playing pokemon again.

17 hours ago, dantheriver said:

Rumors swirling today about a third version coming to Switch that could take advantage of the beefier system.

Insanely excited for that. That's exactly what game Nintendo needs to sell a console. 

I bought Sun yesterday. I like what they've changed since Omega Ruby, visually at least. The lower battle menu looks pretty cool. I didn't think any of the starters were cool besides Litten. Who did you guys choose as a starter?

8 hours ago, rooks said:

Popplio, but I'm not as starter dependant as I was as a kid, I'll probably put it in the box once it hits evo-3, the starters this gen are so slow. I've been using Salandit as my lead :)

I agree, I usually ditch the starter unless they're good. Swampert was pretty badass in OR so I kept him around a long time. 

i did a thing...

oDAqfS4.jpg

Only issue I'm still having is a bit of lag on SNES games... it's not as noticeable on an RPG, but lagging on Super Mario World. Maybe the TV? I played SMB3 on NES, and didn't notice lag.

EDIT: Switched TV picture to game mode on that input. No lag. Woo!

Edited by batman