What video games have you been playing?

You guys aren't making the console decision any easier.  So many cool individuals that I'd love to game with.  I wish we could all just party up on one console, but alas.  I'm going to miss the hell out of Halo - especially that H2 remake - but the franchise has really lost steam with me over the last few installments.  Everything else that I'm interested in has a multi-platform release, so it really just boils down to who I'd be able to game with.  A lot of my good 360 friends have migrated to the PS4... and if we're being honest, I feel like M$' still aren't sure how to approach the market with the Xbox One.  So many of their decisions and features have felt questionable and clunky.  I don't know.  I've also been overdue for a Blu-ray player, so there's that.  And especially after playing TLOU on PS3, I think I've been more impressed with the capabilities of the Playstation as of late.  But at the end of the day, it's still a really tough call.

The other thing I always kind of disliked about the Playstation 3 has been the controller.  My hands aren't massive, but I still feel like I'm grabbing onto a tiny gamepad that may break at any moment.  From what I've read and heard, that's been remedied a great amount with the PS4's design.

You guys aren't making the console decision any easier. So many cool individuals that I'd love to game with. I wish we could all just party up on one console, but alas. I'm going to miss the hell out of Halo - especially that H2 remake - but the franchise has really lost steam with me over the last few installments. Everything else that I'm interested in has a multi-platform release, so it really just boils down to who I'd be able to game with. A lot of my good 360 friends have migrated to the PS4... and if we're being honest, I feel like M$' still aren't sure how to approach the market with the Xbox One. So many of their decisions and features have felt questionable and clunky. I don't know. I've also been overdue for a Blu-ray player, so there's that. And especially after playing TLOU on PS3, I think I've been more impressed with the capabilities of the Playstation as of late. But at the end of the day, it's still a really tough call.

The other thing I always kind of disliked about the Playstation 3 has been the controller. My hands aren't massive, but I still feel like I'm grabbing onto a tiny gamepad that may break at any moment. From what I've read and heard, that's been remedied a great amount with the PS4's design.

The new controller has a good weight to it. My only gripe is the battery life. It's improved a little since the added the option to dim the controller light, but I still only get about a two day charge out of it. I would get a good 5-6 days on the PS3 and I game pretty hard.

It's really whatever.

They are almost identical - that being said PS4 DOES have the better hardware but that will only show it's face on the exclusives - anything cross-platform is dumbed down for the lesser of two (three?) so graphically, it's kind of a wash.

As far as exclusives go - PS4 has lots of sweet indies (but Xbox is certainly making headway there), some amazing adventure games, and not to mention the JRPGS... while Xbox has some sweet shooters like Halo (MCC and Halo 5 next year), Titanfall (which may be coming to PS4 in the second title), Fable, and some equally sweet indie titles. I'm obviously leaving out quite a bit here... but if there is something you really want (-cough-Halo 2 remaster-cough-) go with that.

Feature wise its also super similar - last E3 M$ was super feature heavy and lack luster with the games. THIS E3 it was flipped and Sony was all about the features.... and speaking of Playstation now could be damn cool - if done right... (EA is also doing that subscription service with M$ tho)

I bought the Xbox One myself, but plan to eventuallllly get a PS4 (probably if/when Kingdom Hearts goes up on PSNow)

Honestly - I'd go with what your friends play.

If you already had a community built to play on - stick with it.

It's really whatever.

They are almost identical - that being said PS4 DOES have the better hardware but that will only show it's face on the exclusives - anything cross-platform is dumbed down for the lesser of two (three?) so graphically, it's kind of a wash.

However, the current trend is that multiplatform games on the PS4 run at an improved framerate over the Xbone. It's not the end of the world by any stretch, but it's worth noting.

fixed that for you

YESSSSS

Very well said, Kevin.  Halo 2 was the first game I really got into with my brand new Xbox Live account, and I played it for years.  (In fact, a lot of my longtime XBL friends - who are now on PS4 - were met via Halo 2.)  I'm eager to see just how faithful the rank system and gameplay - i.e. super bouncing, button glitches, etc. - will carry over from the original version.  But aside from that, there's just not too much I'm excited for that's exclusive.  I did play the hell out of Titanfall on the 360, before my Live account expired.  I really enjoyed that, and I do hope the sequel is cross-platform.

I'll probably check out Bloodborne, though hack-and-slash games aren't exactly my cup of tea.  Before I bought an Xbox back in '04 or so, I grew up with a Playstation and PS2.  So I'm very eager to play the newest installments of MGS and Final Fantasy.  I know those will be on the XB1 as well, but I have a gut feeling they'll run just a bit smoother or look just a smidgen better on their native console.  And I'm all about that Kingdom Hearts 3, despite never playing any installment of the series other than the original and KH2.

Also, TLOU remastered isn't even in question.  My PS3 play-through has been fairly sloppy so far; I haven't been as thorough as I should be with collectibles, and I haven't even glanced at the trophy list or multiplayer.  Saving all of that for the PS4 experience.

Regarding Destiny – I played a good bit of the beta.  Up to level 6 or so, where you're forced to play competitively in the Crucible.  I did a few matches of that and fared horribly, no thanks to my awkwardness with the PS3 analog sticks.  I think it'd be really fun if it was just as responsive and I was just as snappy with a controller as I was on Halo.  But even exploring the worlds that Bungie have crafted, and unlocking new weapons / abilities / enemies - with complete strangers, and no microphones - was pretty rewarding and enjoyable.  Very much looking forward to all that with some of you guys and ex-XBL friends.

Very well said, Kevin.  Halo 2 was the first game I really got into with my brand new Xbox Live account, and I played it for years.  (In fact, a lot of my longtime XBL friends - who are now on PS4 - were met via Halo 2.)  I'm eager to see just how faithful the rank system and gameplay - i.e. super bouncing, button glitches, etc. - will carry over from the original version.  But aside from that, there's just not too much I'm excited for that's exclusive.  I did play the hell out of Titanfall on the 360, before my Live account expired.  I really enjoyed that, and I do hope the sequel is cross-platform.

I'll probably check out Bloodborne, though hack-and-slash games aren't exactly my cup of tea.  Before I bought an Xbox back in '04 or so, I grew up with a Playstation and PS2.  So I'm very eager to play the newest installments of MGS and Final Fantasy.  I know those will be on the XB1 as well, but I have a gut feeling they'll run just a bit smoother or look just a smidgen better on their native console.  And I'm all about that Kingdom Hearts 3, despite never playing any installment of the series other than the original and KH2.

Also, TLOU remastered isn't even in question.  My PS3 play-through has been fairly sloppy so far; I haven't been as thorough as I should be with collectibles, and I haven't even glanced at the trophy list or multiplayer.  Saving all of that for the PS4 experience.

Regarding Destiny – I played a good bit of the beta.  Up to level 6 or so, where you're forced to play competitively in the Crucible.  I did a few matches of that and fared horribly, no thanks to my awkwardness with the PS3 analog sticks.  I think it'd be really fun if it was just as responsive and I was just as snappy with a controller as I was on Halo.  But even exploring the worlds that Bungie have crafted, and unlocking new weapons / abilities / enemies - with complete strangers, and no microphones - was pretty rewarding and enjoyable.  Very much looking forward to all that with some of you guys and ex-XBL friends.

I'm so excited to play Halo 1 and 2 again. I spent so many nights system linked with my friends playing those games. I hope it stays faithful to the original. I had a lot of fun finding all the superjumps and doing things like the rocket launcher/sword lunge. Seeing the images and videos gets me all giddy to play these again. 

Here's a video with footage of some of the new cutscenes. 

http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/08/01/halo-the-master-chief-collection-blur-cinematics-trailer

and here's a comparison video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY-y2svcANM?t=43s (I cut out the first 40 seconds of annoying Youtube chatter.)

Man, I can't wait.

E3-2014-Halo-2-Anniversary-Comparison-As

I haven't even heard of such a game yet - will be looking into it.

but if its hack//slash like Derek said - eh. So what?

That's just the impression I got from the trailer I watched.  Didn't mean to squash the hype or downplay it.  The setting looks cool as hell, but I just don't how much I'd enjoy the gameplay mechanics unless they're saving some seriously awesome features and play mechanics for the actual game.

It's the spiritual successor to the Souls franchise, so much more than hack n' slash, but if the Souls games never appealed to you then this won't.

I like them in theory more than in practice.

I'm always down to play them in a group hanging out and what have you - but not really the kind of game I want to sit alone and work through.