What video games have you been playing?

Okami!!!

Play that shit now! Zelda gameplay in a fantasy Japanese setting with beautiful graphics, Okami is an all-around great game. And Shadow of the Colossus is a cool puzzle/platformer. God I wish I could play my ps2, but my vcr is broken and my tv is crappy.

And yeah, so far Red Dead is pretty good. I'm not very far into the story, but the western setting is pulled off very well. Seems like there's lots of random events to keep you busy while you're just riding around in the desert. I shot lots of stuff.

I've only played about an hour or so, I'm a little disappointed with a few things. You can change the difficulty setting whenever, I was gonna play it through on normal then again on hardcore, but there doesn't seem much point. Where has hall of meat gone when you bail? Does it only come up when you're doing a hall of meat challenge? And the "story" just seems a little all over the place, I liked in Skate (1) how you worked through magazines working your way up...Saying all this though it's still brilliant, hardcore mode is so rewarding/frustrating

I haven't picked it up yet - and probably won't because of how much online integration there is - but I think I've read that you need to turn on the Hall of Meat stuff.

What's the deal with Hardcore mode? I played the demo and wasn't into it but I felt the same way with 2 and loved the full game.

I can't decide which game to play next, any suggestions from my list?

Ar Tonelico

Ar Tonelico II

Digital Devil Saga

Digital Devil Saga II

Disgaea

Fatal Frame

Fatal Frame II

Fatal Frame III

Final Fantasy X International (beaten the US versions like 4 times, but this has a ton of new content)

Final Fantasy X-II

Final Fantasy XII (Beat it when it first came out, but I didn't do many side quests or monster hunts)

God of War

God of War II

Grimgrimoire

Kingdom Hearts (Beat a long time ago)

Kingdom Hearts II

Mana Khemia

Mana Khemia II

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

Odin Sphere (started a few times, but the slow down kills it at times so I give up)

Okami

Persona 3 (Fav. game ever)

Persona 4 (2nd fav game)

Radiata Stories

Shadow of the Colossus

Tales of the Abyss

I'm trying to lean towards one I have not played yet, so it does not feel like I wasted money. I have a bunch of other games, but looking for a ps2 one right now.

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. Do it.

you guys see how 3 major developers now are making a single use code for online play to keep people who buy used games from getting all the features without paying another $10-15? hate the idea, i don't see it holding up if fans were to file a class action suit.

I don't see how it wouldn't hold up. You really think a court is going to rule against developers and publishers in this when they don't make a single cent from used game sales? They have to recoup their costs somehow.

I definitely have bought used games in the past, but usually only older games that you can't find new anymore.

I'm really curious to see how places like Gamestop who make almost all of their money off used game sales handle this. They typically sell used new releases for only $5 less than a brand new copy, so obviously they will have to lower that price to make up for the $10 difference. I wonder if it will just lead to the sale of MORE used games, since there are bound to be people who couldn't care less about playing online and would rather get a $15 discount buying used.

you guys see how 3 major developers now are making a single use code for online play to keep people who buy used games from getting all the features without paying another $10-15? hate the idea, i don't see it holding up if fans were to file a class action suit.

I don't see how it wouldn't hold up. You really think a court is going to rule against developers and publishers in this when they don't make a single cent from used game sales? They have to recoup their costs somehow.

I definitely have bought used games in the past, but usually only older games that you can't find new anymore.

I'm really curious to see how places like Gamestop who make almost all of their money off used game sales handle this. They typically sell used new releases for only $5 less than a brand new copy, so obviously they will have to lower that price to make up for the $10 difference. I wonder if it will just lead to the sale of MORE used games, since there are bound to be people who couldn't care less about playing online and would rather get a $15 discount buying used.

Gamestop didn't change their pricing for used copies of Mass Effect 2 even though the free DLC add-on hub (unsure of the name, don't have the game) was most likely already redeemed. While not quite the same as online play, it is still an additional cost if the used game purchaser wants all the benefits that the new game owner gets...

True, but not as many people are going to complain about not having access to Cerberus Network in Mass Effect 2 as they are going to complain about not being able to get online in Madden or Tiger Woods.

Cerberus Network was mostly a bonus for buying new (and not worth the $15 they were asking if you didn't if you ask me), online play is an integral part of most sports games.

Take Skate 3 for example. It is my understanding that you cannot download or upload any user made skateparks without the Online Pass, and I'm fairly sure you can't upload saved replays without it either. Considering that game is mostly designed around being able to play online, they have removed key parts to the experience unless you buy new.

could lead to that. i don't see how they can get away with it though, when you purchase something, in my opinion you should be able to do whatever you want with it. if you buy a car or something used, you don't have to pay a kickback to the car company to make the radio work. and i don't think these developers are hurting for money, since millions of people pay $60 each year for minor roster updates and slightly tweaked gameplay.

could lead to that. i don't see how they can get away with it though, when you purchase something, in my opinion you should be able to do whatever you want with it. if you buy a car or something used, you don't have to pay a kickback to the car company to make the radio work. and i don't think these developers are hurting for money, since millions of people pay $60 each year for minor roster updates and slightly tweaked gameplay.

No, your basic radio will still work. But you certainly have to pay for that satellite enabled radio that comes in every car these days. And put gas in it. And maintain it.. etc.

Your game will work just fine, but if you want "added features" you will have to pay. Unfortunately we are at the point where being able to play online is an "added feature".

I'm not saying I agree, that's just where it's headed.

if it's an added feature, then live should be free. i pay to use live, which i don't complain about. i shouldn't have then then turn around and pay for the privileged to use online features.

granted, this is mostly moot for me since i rarely ever play online besides l4d and the occasional bioshock match.

It's not up to the publishers or developers whether Live costs money or not, it's up to the platform holder - Microsoft. If you play Final Fantasy XI on 360, you still have to pay a monthly fee to Square Enix, on top of your Live fee.

Online is free if you have a PS3. (Apparently Sony is adding a PSN Platinum that will be a paid service like Live though.)

No, your basic radio will still work. But you certainly have to pay for that satellite enabled radio that comes in every car these days. And put gas in it. And maintain it.. etc.

Your game will work just fine, but if you want "added features" you will have to pay. Unfortunately we are at the point where being able to play online is an "added feature".

Maybe it's just me, but your comparisons there don't make much sense. If anything, this play pass is comparable to me having to pay Jeep money in order to drive my Grand Cherokee, which was bought second-hand. Gas and maintenance are completely unrelated.

If a game has dedicated servers, I can kind of understand it, as that costs the developer money to run. But if a game has player-hosted matches, it shouldn't matter whether games are bought new or used. I see EA fighting a shit storm of complaints and bad PR in a year or two once they start dropping online servers of games that people have bought online passes for. (Even if this proves profitable for them, I doubt they're going to keep the servers going indefinitely. While I agreed with the pulling the plug previously, I'd be mighty pissed now if I specifically paid money to unlock online play, only for them to disable it.)

Maybe it's just me, but your comparisons there don't make much sense. If anything, this play pass is comparable to me having to pay Jeep money in order to drive my Grand Cherokee, which was bought second-hand. Gas and maintenance are completely unrelated.

If a game has dedicated servers, I can kind of understand it, as that costs the developer money to run. But if a game has player-hosted matches, it shouldn't matter whether games are bought new or used. I see EA fighting a shit storm of complaints and bad PR in a year or two once they start dropping online servers of games that people have bought online passes for. (Even if this proves profitable for them, I doubt they're going to keep the servers going indefinitely. While I agreed with the pulling the plug previously, I'd be mighty pissed now if I specifically paid money to unlock online play, only for them to disable it.)

Well, all of EA's online play requires you to log into EA.com, so technically you are using their servers for things like news, roster updates, etc. As far as I know, they are the only developer who are allowed to do this on Xbox Live.

The actual game connection is peer to peer, but EA's proprietary servers are used for player matching.

Guest markovianprocess

I've just joined Steam for Mac, and Civilization 4 won't load up. Is anyone having this problem? I'm on 10.6.3.

EDIT: Installed and Uninstalled a couple of times and it is working now!

Until then, I'm having a load of fun playing World of Goo (just completed the first chapter) and Portal (Level 15 of 19 but I'm stuck!).