"The Vinyl Bubble"

i think it depends on what bands you collect on wether the prices are inflated or not. i'd say nofx stuff is down on ebay in the last 6 months, along with most fat stuff besides Dead To Me and D4. BTMI prices seem to be way down from this summer. Unicornography seems to be down, from around $100 this summer to $40-50 now. most of what i collect is way down, and i'm happy about it. i've picked up some great stuff for a fraction of what it used to be.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing about all of this that matters to me is the impact it has on the quantity of titles pressed. When few people were buying vinyl in the 90s, indies and majors were still generally releasing their titles on vinyl. Sometimes they were imports, sometimes you had to dig a little for them, but they were there. This current 'bubble' has lead to more titles being pressed. Vinyl Collective alone is proof of that. The only reason I hope the bubble theory isn't true and/or doesn't burst is so that more and more titles will be pressed when they otherwise might not have been.

Represses on various colors give people who missed out on the original pressings of an album the opportunity to own them. It's getting a little ridiculous how much people complain about various colors pressings. Nobody says you have to own every color. It's a personal choice. If it's too much, just don't do it.

Some people are essentially saying that others should not have the oppurtunity to own a single copy of any given pressing of an album just so they can have "rare vinyl" or "complete collections", but once the amount of colors or presses exceeds what they want to collect they don't stop complaining for months.

No one is saying that people shouldnt have the opportunity to own a record...

What people are talking about is pressing records on a ridiculous amount of colors.

If there was a limited color pressing and then the rest are pressed on black, everyone should be happy. That way collectors can get their limited variation and the people who claim that they dont care about colors can get it on black. Nobody is denied the right to own a record.

And the people who just wont buy a record because it isnt on color vinyl, they can go fuck themselves. They probably dont even own a record player anyway.

I guess the question is, why should labels who are already taking a loss on putting a record out of vinyl (and at VC and No Idea with their support of bands that don't always sell out a first press, prices, and shipping they sometimes are) why should they leave money on the table by pressing on one color and black when they can sell a few extra copies by it being on three colors?

At least I'm up front - I like my records, I like the music on them, but I also love that they keep their value and sometimes go up.

If this is the main reason you are buying records on vinyl, you should sell your collection now while it is still trendy. Sooner or later the vinyl craze will die down and your "investment" will not be worth nearly what you think it will be.

Clearly he states he likes the music and its not the only reason.

I agree with numanoid, I like my records, I like the music on them and if one of them goes up in value, I love that too. I don't believe anyone here would be upset if a record they bought was worth 10x what they paid. You might not care too much cause your not going to sell it anyway but no one will be mad about it.

Why are so many people turned off by the fact a record might be worth money? That it might be viewed as an "investment". You want stuff you spend money on to be worth nothing once you buy it? People buy homes for a place to live #1 but sure as hell love it when the value of their home goes up.

I guess the question is, why should labels who are already taking a loss on putting a record out of vinyl (and at VC and No Idea with their support of bands that don't always sell out a first press, prices, and shipping they are) why should they leave money on the table by pressing on one color and black when they can sell a few extra copies by it being on three colors?

That is what the whole problem is. Youre selling multiple copies to the same person. If an album cant sell X amount of copies on black...maybe they shouldnt be pressing their music on vinyl. Maybe their target audience does not listen to vinyl.

Pressing multiple colors in order to sell more copies makes a band look more popular than they really are.

Vinyl Collective didn't kill the "thrill of the hunt" so to speak. The internet did.

and as far as people spend 10x what something is worth on ebay just means that there are a ton of really stupid people.

''

the internet didnt kill it.. in fact, i find that it made it funner.

posting up various want ads on diff. sites, searching through ebay, gemm, and other online used record stores. its still a hunt.

I guess the question is, why should labels who are already taking a loss on putting a record out of vinyl (and at VC and No Idea with their support of bands that don't always sell out a first press, prices, and shipping they are) why should they leave money on the table by pressing on one color and black when they can sell a few extra copies by it being on three colors?

That is what the whole problem is. Youre selling multiple copies to the same person. If an album cant sell X amount of copies on black...maybe they shouldnt be pressing their music on vinyl. Maybe their target audience does not listen to vinyl.

Pressing multiple colors in order to sell more copies makes a band look more popular than they really are.

what i'm saying is this. If No Idea presses 1,000 Axl Roses and knows 700 will be people who have never picked up the record and want to own it, and that 300 people love the record and will buy every color that comes out, why not print it on a bunch of different colors. It makes these people happy (and if it doesn't its stupid of them to spend money on these records) and it makes the label guaranteed sales.

I have a retarded big O Pioneers collection. It isn't the kind of thing you brag about because like 20 people care. But I still get every color and every test I can, because I love the band and I like having all the back issues. Not because it's cool, but because I love the dudes.

and honestly.. the labels that have done the most in terms of keeping vinyl alive, all have variants... places like fat, no idea, all the hardcore labels, etc.

I would not agree only because so many rock n roll labels outside of punk and hardcore have helped and do not go crazy with variants.

what i'm saying is this. If No Idea presses 1,000 Axl Roses and knows 700 will be people who have never picked up the record and want to own it, and that 300 people love the record and will buy every color that comes out, why not print it on a bunch of different colors. It makes these people happy (and if it doesn't its stupid of them to spend money on these records) and it makes the label guaranteed sales.

I have a retarded big O Pioneers collection. It isn't the kind of thing you brag about because like 20 people care. But I still get every color and every test I can, because I love the band and I like having all the back issues. Not because it's cool, but because I love the dudes.

Because real punk don't want to make money to press more records and do more good for a scene. They just want to pile up scene points. Don't you know that?

A better example is Bridge 9 who has done the "Buy the bundle to get the limited vinyl And people who buy the bundle get priority". That's some garbage.

Hey, be nice. I'll give the point this-we only did that three times I can think of and it was all jobs ordered around the same time (New Found Glory, H2O and Have Heart). Some people were stoked on it (we sold out of all of them) and some people were bummed and some people emailed us saying, politely "I don't give a fuck about package deals, but if you'd want to include the rare version, that'd be awesome" and we would do it. For those who wrote shit about us being assholes and "fuck this" or "you suck" or whatever, we'd laugh and your order may have ended up on the fridge in the Hall of Shame.

Prior to that, we randomly snuck in with orders (Crime In Stereo was half & half, we did this with Ceremony, H2O, Have Heart, and ISHC as well) and since Have Heart, we have sold the rare editions outside of the package deal to the first people who jump at the chance, then we also sell the vinyl within the package deals.

Also, we also sell the package deal T-shirts separately, if you like shirts, and you like rare vinyl or CDs and want to combine things and save a few bucks, you win. If you were one of the earliest people to order, then awesome. We also return and reject any orders of 5 or 6 of the rare copies, so we don't let hoarders play in our sandbox.

I think we're pretty open to people's feedback and opinions, so if you want to bitch about how we run shit, feel free to email me at [email protected]

Represses on various colors give people who missed out on the original pressings of an album the opportunity to own them. It's getting a little ridiculous how much people complain about various colors pressings. Nobody says you have to own every color. It's a personal choice. If it's too much, just don't do it.

Some people are essentially saying that others should not have the oppurtunity to own a single copy of any given pressing of an album just so they can have "rare vinyl" or "complete collections", but once the amount of colors or presses exceeds what they want to collect they don't stop complaining for months.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts.

the bubble is already starting to pop i think. take alkaline trio for example. when mike put the goddamnit redux up for pre-order it sold out extremely fast. he pressed more and those sold out really fast and he pressed more. it ended up being 11 colors. a few months later he put out maybe ill catch fire on 5 colors, then the s/t on 5 colors, the the skiba/seconds split on 5 colors. also during that time good mourning was re-released on i think 4 different colors or something and remains continued to be a huge cluster fuck. all of this happened because of how well goddamnit did, but if you check the vc store almost all colors of every release after that are still available. its an over saturation of the market. i bought all the colors of goddamnit, micf and the st. but when the skiba split and good mourning came out i said fuck it because my wallet couldnt handle it anymore. now if they had spaced these releases out more i dont think that would have been the case.

i dont mind a record getting pressed on a couple colors. and if i really love the band ill buy all of them. but it seems a lot lately that this is getting way too over done.

also to the whole thing about records being an investment. yeah i wouldnt be mad if a record i owned became worth a lot more than what i paid, but at the same time i dont care if its worth less, therefor, to me, it is not an investment

as a guy who has done a label for long before the colored variant sensation hit, and also as a student of the early 90s punk scene where there was no so much of a widespread market for punk records... i have to say that in my opinion there are pros and cons to the "collectible" market. i mean first of all i have always appreciated the color version of a record. even back then when it was sort of an afterthought. when i started doing a label in around 1999 i always released a short run of a color version as the first bunch of copies sold... just because i could. also, i also always tried and still try to keep a diy element to all of my releases. i mean i loved getting those old inchworm and bloodlink records with the screened or stamped covers... just to know that there was an artistic element at work. even if it was by necessity it was not so much as a manufactured product where you sent it to the factory and they just stamped em out like potato chips. you brought it home and the love was in the paper or the manilla envelope or whatever... and you could always appreciate that some kid somewhere spend all his time, sweat, blood, and probably his last 20 bucks screening covers and photocopying the fuck out of some inserts... or in some case whole zines or booklets. maybe im detatched or old, but i will always find beauty in that. so in terms of the "rare screened covers" i think that shit is amazing. and its nothing new... its just saying "hey the shit doesnt have to all look the same" and embracing imperfections as part of the art. plus i think that connects with people on a higher level, and thats just always good.

in terms of the mutliple variants at a time thing, and i am certainly guilty of this. i have said before to my own friends that its really similar to the cards and comics ordeal... and it is. the fact is there is a lot of hype driving up a lot of prices for sure. but i have to say that its been incredible to be able to see and explore the amazing shit that weve been able to do in terms of colored vinyl. i never thought i could see so many amazing color combinations... and in a way its just another form of saying that everything need not look the same. the more it can lean towards being a function piece of art the more i say go for it. the part that worries me is when the commodity become more important than the actual artist. ive been buying records for 16 or so years, and ive never bought a record for the purpose of not listening to it. ive never bought multiple copies that i didnt intend to give away or trade, but i do enjoy to have a rarer version of a record. im not sure why, and i dont really go to lenghts to aquire them mostly because i have way too many holes to fill in my collection of records that i dont actually have any copy of. but if i catch a rare version... good.

my final thought is this. the punk community is huge now. i think anything that draws people together at this point is a good thing. and i think the collector market does that... so do labels and sites like this one. there are always going to be people with the intention of collecting as some sort of investment. but if the good dudes, the love and commitment to the culture is still here thats all that really matters in the long run. and like someone said before when the bottom drops out ill be glad to buy up the aftermath for very little money. but i will always be buying records... ive been doing it for so long. im pretty sure ive got the fever forever. and i still love it. and conversely i will be putting out records however long i can afford to do it, reguardless of how little amount i can sell. its more about the community to me, and giving back. returning the favor that so many kids losing money on labels have done for me before me. to me thats the shit thats important in the end.

i would rather see multiple presses on multiple colors then have a one-time only press of an album that would definitely sell more than the 500 or so they pressed. i dont find anything fun about "hunting" for something thats OOP and paying quadruple the price because its no longer available in stores.

This is EXACTLY what I mean. Why else would you buy every color of Reinventing Axl Rose? Or why didn't people buy Shape of Punk to Come when it was readily available at Hot Topic before this recent reissue? Because it was on BLACK!

When I sold my copy of Shape for nearly $300 on ebay, it was because I knew there was going to be a reissue, and it would be identical to the one I was selling. I was right. And when I did sell it, I had two friends at work lamenting about how they never bought one because "they were all on black".

And I did state that this is the passive collector, and generally speaking, I don't think these people will be around in five years.

And yes, I spend a lot of money on records, and I do like to be able to brag about them, and I would like to know that my investment will be worth at least what I put into it. And I would say most any collector of any collectible will agree. Though what I brag about would be laughable to most (my Depeche Mode collection comes to mind).

I think it's really odd to think of music as an investment. I (personally) buy multiples of bands I like because I know it's going to help the band and I personally enjoy it as a tribute to a band I like.

I also like music. I don't know, that's just me.

this is exactly why i collect variants. in most cases, i wind up just giving them to friends or trading them for shit i like

as a guy who has done a label for long before the colored variant sensation hit, and also as a student of the early 90s punk scene where there was no so much of a widespread market for punk records... i have to say that in my opinion there are pros and cons to the "collectible" market. i mean first of all i have always appreciated the color version of a record. even back then when it was sort of an afterthought. when i started doing a label in around 1999 i always released a short run of a color version as the first bunch of copies sold... just because i could. also, i also always tried and still try to keep a diy element to all of my releases. i mean i loved getting those old inchworm and bloodlink records with the screened or stamped covers... just to know that there was an artistic element at work. even if it was by necessity it was not so much as a manufactured product where you sent it to the factory and they just stamped em out like potato chips. you brought it home and the love was in the paper or the manilla envelope or whatever... and you could always appreciate that some kid somewhere spend all his time, sweat, blood, and probably his last 20 bucks screening covers and photocopying the fuck out of some inserts... or in some case whole zines or booklets. maybe im detatched or old, but i will always find beauty in that. so in terms of the "rare screened covers" i think that shit is amazing. and its nothing new... its just saying "hey the shit doesnt have to all look the same" and embracing imperfections as part of the art. plus i think that connects with people on a higher level, and thats just always good.

in terms of the mutliple variants at a time thing, and i am certainly guilty of this. i have said before to my own friends that its really similar to the cards and comics ordeal... and it is. the fact is there is a lot of hype driving up a lot of prices for sure. but i have to say that its been incredible to be able to see and explore the amazing shit that weve been able to do in terms of colored vinyl. i never thought i could see so many amazing color combinations... and in a way its just another form of saying that everything need not look the same. the more it can lean towards being a function piece of art the more i say go for it. the part that worries me is when the commodity become more important than the actual artist. ive been buying records for 16 or so years, and ive never bought a record for the purpose of not listening to it. ive never bought multiple copies that i didnt intend to give away or trade, but i do enjoy to have a rarer version of a record. im not sure why, and i dont really go to lenghts to aquire them mostly because i have way too many holes to fill in my collection of records that i dont actually have any copy of. but if i catch a rare version... good.

my final thought is this. the punk community is huge now. i think anything that draws people together at this point is a good thing. and i think the collector market does that... so do labels and sites like this one. there are always going to be people with the intention of collecting as some sort of investment. but if the good dudes, the love and commitment to the culture is still here thats all that really matters in the long run. and like someone said before when the bottom drops out ill be glad to buy up the aftermath for very little money. but i will always be buying records... ive been doing it for so long. im pretty sure ive got the fever forever. and i still love it. and conversely i will be putting out records however long i can afford to do it, reguardless of how little amount i can sell. its more about the community to me, and giving back. returning the favor that so many kids losing money on labels have done for me before me. to me thats the shit thats important in the end.

great post. it looks scary but everyone should read this. spot on!