PO: SUNNY DAY REAL ESTATE "Diary" dbl LP, "LP2" re

Guest admin1338560633

1 minute ago, lexicondevil said:

Whoa, I didn't know How It Feels went for big bucks. It was the first record I bought from SDRE, after I heard them on a Subpop sampler CD. I need to spin that sucker today. It's cool that they are reissuing it for those who don't have it, and if they do any deluxo stuff I may have to buy it again.

Really hoping for a deluxe package, or a cool Loser Edition variant. 

9 minutes ago, dantheriver said:

Sucks to be the guy who won the sealed copy on eBay this morning for $105.  Live and The Rising Tide need reissues too.

I would probably hold off on buying any out of press subpop releases.  They've been on a pretty decent role the last several years with reissuing stuff.  They have such a massive back catalog that it takes time but they will eventually get to everything I would assume.  They are a smart label and realize what stuff is in demand.  That person is going to be pissed when the news drops in August!  And YES to Rising Tide and Live....

Something On never really connected with me, but I don't think I've listened to it in 10+ years either.  Going to revisit it this week and see how I feel about it.  Sub Pop has been doing real good work with their reissues (quality and price-wise).  I'd be surprised if this was any different.

1 hour ago, crossedoutname said:

I'd hold on to the OG press, diary was a single lp when it came out then it got the double LP reissue treatment...they might do the same for this

1. Why is two discs a bad thing? Isn't it well-known that this generally improves audio quality?

2. While it's not the same for this record, OG Diary was missing a few tracks to fit on one disc.

36 minutes ago, DOMAN127 said:

1. Why is two discs a bad thing? Isn't it well-known that this generally improves audio quality?

2. While it's not the same for this record, OG Diary was missing a few tracks to fit on one disc.

I don't think he's saying it being a 2xlp is a bad thing, just that it will make the single hold its value even more, and if you don't like flipping records 4 times, maybe the 1xlp is better for you.

4 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

My OG press is the thinnest record I own. It was pressed when no one cared about records. I can't wait to replace it with a better press. That said, I am not selling it until I know 100% this repress is happening. Hopefully it's a 180g 2xLP (though I don't know what bonus tracks they'd put on it).

The other two RPs were on standard gram if that makes any difference

9 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

I actually never realized Diary got the 2xlp treatment with the tracks added though. I didn't pay any attention because I'd gotten a 2nd press years back. Time to look into it.

That it did, my friend. And it sounds absolutely fantastic. It's on the thin side, but it doesn't sound it. All the information is their for sure. Comes with a nice booklet as well, 2xLPs housed it a gatefold. I used to have an OG US 1992 LP (there were German pressings as well), in addition to a US 1998 RP LP (on green). When I got this I loved the sound so much that I sold off the other two (didn't need three copies, but wanted to compare the sound). Man, what a great remaster. Mine is the red translucent colored variant (which actually looks a little pink to my eye). I uploaded some shots.

@Thomas³ I feel you on holding off, but just some insight, (as stated above) their remastering sounds so good on Diary. I think we're in good hands. : )

| Sunny Day Real Estate

/ Diary | 2xLP | Remastered | Repressed | Limited Edition | Red Translucent | US | 2009 | SP 849 | Sub Pop

vMqzxpS.jpg

JOGVKmE.jpg

oPsMsFU.jpg

xoXgVBN.jpg

Edited by Dave Grohl

The remasters really do sound great, and I can't wait to hear what they do for "What It Feels To Be Something On", since it's probably my favorite SDRE record. I don't know of any b-sides from that era, so wonder if they'll toss a demo or two on it for bonus tracks or just go with the normal release. Sub pop repress have been getting thicker too, so hopefully this will be too, but the thinness does not affect quality on the other 2 SDRE records.

3 minutes ago, throughbeingcruel said:

All this Diary talk makes me wanna go buy a copy after work, so I think I'll do that. 

You really should. It's one of the most influential emo albums of all time, as well as one of the best albums of all time in general. You can grab a black remaster for like $16. Well worth it.