I started a record label

kylet

you will never be able to make a career out of it or be successful if you treat all your potential fan base like you treated the peopleon here. sheesh.

'fuck you' flying off the handle = way to alienate anyone who was even considering listening to and/or liking your music.

You have all made it VERY clear that you don't like my band at all anyway, and have treated me like total shit for having an opinion about bands working hard. What do I care? Everyone on this board that has talked to me besides 5 people in this thread consider me to be a nice guy, and I'm generally well liked throughout the board.

If you treat me like shit, AND clearly hate my band... fuck it! I'm not going to sit back and get shit on, lol! If you want to talk to me like a person, then sick! Lets be friends.

It is a FACT that you can disagree with someone, and still have a civilized conversation. Which hardly anyone has attempted. What am I supposed to say? "SORRY that you don't agree, and please make fun of my band. Shit on my face while your at it!"

LOL

i'd consider myself a regular here, and uhhhhh i have no idea who you are. soooooo...there's that.

just saying maybe you should consider a less hostile approach. there will always be people who don't like what you do, and some handle it more maturely than others.

hey all, philsandwich here:

i'd just like to make sure i know how we got here. some unlucky cyclist hired a lawyer to release a record he can't talk about on a label with no records but four websites, and some chud who can't be older than 15 and plays in a band that sounds like latter-day underoath and has streetwear-style merch is salty because he got called out for grossly overstating his sales numbers and for being a careerist punk.

am i right so far?

i'd just like to make sure i know how we got here. some unlucky cyclist hired a lawyer to release a record he can't talk about on a label with no records but four websites, and some chud who can't be older than 15 and plays in a band that sounds like latter-day underoath and has streetwear-style merch is salty because he got called out for grossly overstating his sales numbers and for being a careerist punk.

am i right so far?

And he hates Asians, specifically those of Japanese descent.

Other than that: nailed it.

am i right so far?

And he hates Asians, specifically those of Japanese descent.

Other than that: nailed it.

Oh, I laughed.

am i right so far?

No. Some dude wanted to start a label, and apparently its the worst idea ever because bands shouldn't have to pay to record... OR, have to do anything on their own for that matter.

So me, being the idiot that i am, i come along and say "hey, i think starting a label is a great idea, and i think that bands should have to work hard, record some stuff, and make a name on their own before getting picked up".

now i'm satan, in a shitty band! and now i guess our merch sucks too!

Don't give Satan a bad name. I'm sure he's been in a lot of good bands.

No. Some dude wanted to start a label, and apparently its the worst idea ever because bands shouldn't have to pay to record... OR, have to do anything on their own for that matter.

So me, being the idiot that i am, i come along and say "hey, i think starting a label is a great idea, and i think that bands should have to work hard, record some stuff, and make a name on their own before getting picked up".

What the fuck are you blathering on about?

Who doesn't think bands should work hard? Who doesn't think bands should "record some stuff?" Who doesn't think bands should "do anything on their own?"

Your ability to comprehend things is seriously poor.

You might want your band to get "picked up" like those underage girls you are hoping to score with at your Hot Topic pay to play, but most of us THAT ACTUALLY PLAYED IN SUCCESSFUL BANDS AND/OR HAVE RECORD LABELS despise terms like that. Save that shit for the soulless suits in an A&R department.

do you really have to pay to play at hot topic?

In some cases, yes, Hot Topic is a pay to play "program" just like any in-store promotion. I got sent the literature a while back and it was pretty oof.

The "best" case scenario is that this gentleman's band played it for no compensation, but were offered a "special discount" in the store, which is indirectly pay to play because clearly they would buy things there... including their record collection, wardrobe, and influences.

Holy shit this thread got out of hand....

First off I'd like to clear up a few things.

1.) I have no affiliation with "itsajackie"

2.) I'm probably the farthest thing from an "ambulance chaser". To be honest I'm fucking terrified of doctors. My previous statement "Court, lawyers, court, lawyers, more lawyers lawyers lawyers" had nothing to do with money. My girlfriend's law professor (ex dean of the court in downtown Buffalo) represented me, almost free of charge. Either he's just solid dude, or he has a thing for my girlfriend. Probably more so number 2. My goal in getting a lawyer was not to get money, it was to put the crazy guy who hit me with his car, got out, looked me in the eyes and said "I'm going to kill you" and chased me down the road, behind bars. The first thing I told my lawyer was I don't want a dime, I'll be happy if this guy goes to jail. The lawyer ended up getting me 3,000 dollars from that guys insurance company, which was awesome, but was my intention. It's not a fun process at all. I actually have court on Wednesday because of it, and I'm loosing sleep thinking about how I have to see that crazy fucker again.

3.) And last some advice for "itsajackie". Do yourself a favor and stop posting in this thread. You're making an asshole of yourself. You don't need to explain yourself to anybody. If by being in a band you hope to "Get 5,000 plays a day" and sell how ever many cds it was, that's what your doing! And it makes you happy! So fuck them! I made this thread in hopes to get feedback from other record label owners. And I got both positive and negative feedback from them, exactly what I wanted. A handful of people are following me on twitter, and decent amount added my page on mypsace. I even had a few people PM asking me to check out their bands demo and keep them in consideration. The bottom line is, I'm 21 years old. I have a decent job, a dog, and a awesome girlfriend that I get to come home to everyday. And I'm about to start a record label and take a shot at one of my dreams. None of this message board shit really matters. Let those 30 year old slugs smite my Karma all they want. It doesn't really matter. You telling them to "Fuck off" every post is only feeding the fire. You're exciting them. Just stop posting and let this thread die out.

Hopefully one of the MODs will block this thread soon. Goodnight. -Kyle