CONVERGE - JANE DOE Repress & Reissue & More Official Thread!

Like I said above... with "purchase and obtain" I want to make a bet. Watch this thread disappear once everyone gets their records. It will happen. It happened with the Axe To Fall thread, and happens with most every thread about a record. Once people HAVE the record, no one cares, or wants to really talk about it. It just goes away. Realize that what makes you do this, this obsession, more often than not, is not the GETTING, but the waiting, and the wanting. The fun is in the hunt. The fun is desire. And what is the death of desire? Jamey Jasta says it is satisfaction.

Once everyone has their records, and the first few pics are posted... no one will care, and everyone will move on to the next record. Just fuck... just take a sec to try and realize this. Collecting records shouldn't be as easy as selecting an item from a pulldown menu. There really should be some kind of hunt involved. That is what made it fun in the first place. If things keep going like this, shit man... it's all just Beanie Babies at some point.

Make it more than that, and try and have some actual fun. And that doesn't mean eat ramen for a month so you can get it from ebay next week for a 4 times the price. It means take a breath and fucking enjoy the time you spend trying to get that which you want.

Of course this thread is going to disappear. This thread is about the pre-order of a specific record. Once that pre-order has been shipped there's nothing left to talk about.

Record collecting has become a game of artificial scarcity. It's not fun. Fun was in 1994 me tracking down friends of friends to find records that came out 10 years earlier. There's nothing fun about going on eBay to buy a record that was released two weeks ago for an inflated price.

Doing things like not being forthright with your customers about an extra limited version of the record will only feed into the Beanie Baby collector mentality. Those people who ordered three copies to secure one of each color and didn't get the rarest will be forced to the out of control secondary market. That is not fun and this is type of thing that will burn people out on record collecting. It happened with comic books, sports cards, Beanie Babies, Pokemon, etc when they started trying to manipulate the market by releasing "rare gold print variants" and the like.

I've collected records for 20 years. I owned a record store for nearly 10. I couldn't give a shit about "color variants", but I know that people do and I know that taking advantage of those types of people will only lead to further devastation of what remains of the "record industry".

To the brown nosers and apologists; record labels need you more than you need them. They will continue to release records because they make them money, not because a bunch of lemmings on messageboard were overly loyal to them.

Came home today after being away all week. Deathwish record mailer on the top of my mail pile. Got a red/gold copy!

I'm not a variant collector and don't really care about rarity, so now I have to decide if I want to flip this thing and buy a more common color or just keep it. If the price for it gets nuts like the clear w/shards Axe to Fall, I'll absolutely be selling.

DW:

We are always forthright w/ our customers.

We state how many variations will be available from our Estore direct, and that's about it.

As they "sell out", we then adjust the descriptions to state how many variations are currently available at that time. For example "3 colorways available" becomes "2 colorways available", etc.

We don't put specific colors in these descriptions because we do not always get what we ordered from our manufacturers.

Hope that clarifies things.

Thanks everyone.

-J.

I've been in the hardcore/punk vinyl "game" for 22 or years...and I have yet to be bitter about it in any way, shape, or form. It's still fun through and through.

I understand some points made and can see why some would feel so strongly but at the same time do not understand why the need to get so worked up about it. If people want to spend their own money in any manner they choose, so be it. If you don't like what a particular label is doing or their business practices, don't support them then.

It's silly to come on here and rant and rave about it. What exactly is being proven by that?

I'm just a little bummed that I ordered in the first five minutes or so and ended up with two doubles instead of three different colors and one double. I didn't think I would get the most rare copy but still.

If anyone has a gold, please let me know and we can work something out.

I've been in the hardcore/punk vinyl "game" for 22 or years...and I have yet to be bitter about it in any way, shape, or form. It's still fun through and through.

I understand some points made and can see why some would feel so strongly but at the same time do not understand why the need to get so worked up about it. If people want to spend their own money in any manner they choose, so be it. If you don't like what a particular label is doing or their business practices, don't support them then.

It's silly to come on here and rant and rave about it. What exactly is being proven by that?

I guess two things inspired my post. First, the Beanie Babies comment. Yeah, record collecting has become very similar to what that was but is that something the record buying public or record labels should be embracing? We all saw where that went.

Secondly, the people who appear to want to defend anyone putting a record because they somehow think that they're doing them a favor by releasing it, or want to seem down, or whatever. I guess these people have never felt the sting of giving your money to someone for future records and having those records never made and your money never returned. I have a few times. One time it was an artist more famous than Mr. Bannon (and his band was better, too [sorry, Jacob]), one time it was even a friend of mine. It's extremely easy for anyone to accept money and not deliver. So yeah, I'm going to call out anyone who takes my money for a product that doesn't exist it.

I've been in that situation with paying money for a record that never materialized, so I can understand that frustration xxmartinxx. I have been "stung" as you put it.

I can completely understand the beanie baby and pokemon mentality that you make refernce to and has you frustrated. I got burnt out from comic books back in the mid-90s when Marvel decided to make multiple covers and all that nonsense. Yes, that same insanity can happen and is happening with records nowadays.

You could say that I am Deathwish Inc. & Converge DFL so anything I say will come across as defending them to no end which I am happy to do. They've been good to me through and through all these years and have found them to be a very (positively) consistent label. Now, the argument about the additional colors and the label "lying" to us...I can only refer to what also happened during the Axe To Fall preorders. Throughout the process DW was forthcoming w/ saying the release was going to be X number of colors. But they threw us all for a loop by adding the additional color (clear w/ shards) at the last minute as a gesture of surprise for people.

They chose to do the same with Jane Doe...tack on an extra more-limited color for surprise and almost reward. (This is just my opinion). But I don't see how that was lying to us as consumers. Maybe I'm just completely jaded by this whole thing.

In the end and going back to the "anyone who takes my money for a product that doesn't exist" reference, outside of the delays the release suffered, Deathwish delivered on their product. You paid for the records and you got them. Sure, longer than expected, but they exist and arrived.

I apologize if I am not making sense and seems like rambling...I think I'm coming down w/ a cold and not feeling 100%.

ok so everyone waiting on me to get your copies, they were supposed to be delivered today so i went to pick them up where I get my mail sent. They left a note because apparently it needed signature confirmation(?). So now I have to trek all the way out there again tomorrow and pick them up from the post office. I have a list of everyone who needed me to grab them one but this is a lot easier then sending individual Pm's. Everything should be packed and sent tomorrow.

Also my new dog walks while he poops. Is that normal?

we just got him so we are trying to figure him out. He's a little spooked so it's taking him time to adjust. he gets along with the other dogs fine. He also had diarhea so maybe thats why but dude just walked like 5 feet while going. weirdest shit I ever saw. pun intended.