shaving tips

alright

so whenever i shave i always get small areas of breakouts on side of my lips down to my chin (in that general area). i use an electric razor, but ive also used a regular gilette razor and it still happens. im 22 years old if that helps.

all winter im able to get by with just trimming w/ my razor, but i work at a pool during the summer so i need to have a clean shave.

any tips/advice?

Get with the 1800's and get yourself a straight razor. I stopped using disposable razors a couple years ago and I can't believe it took me this long.

If that's not a viable option - it can get pretty expensive - I found the the Mach 3 / Fusion or whatever their five blade razor is called to be the best of the disposable razors. I'd also try getting into some pre and post shave skin treatment. Biotherm for Men has fairly affordable products, but you can get into some really expensive stuff like Castle Forbes.

It could have to do with your shaving technique as well. Make sure you shave with the grain of your hair, not against.

Ditch the electric and buy a pack of disposable razors. You say you're breaking out, so try the ones for sensitive skin. Get those and try a poor man's wet shave.

First, wet your face with warm (above room temp) to hot (not scalding, obviously) water. The warm water opens up your pores. Be sure to push your whiskers up against the grain while doing that. Fill the sink with the water, or if you don't have a stopper, use a bowl you don't particularly care about. Then apply shaving cream (sensitive skin type) and shave against the grain, then again with, and again in other directions. Rinse off the razor between strokes*. Reapply shaving cream as needed to hit any areas that still feel stubbly.

*(protip: be sure to dry the razor with a towel after. It'll last longer)

Then, rinse your face with cold water. It will help your pores close. Grab a bar of soap and wash your face. After that, use some aftershave to reduce razor burn. Avoid the alcohol-based types and use a balm type (personally, I use Nivea for sensitive skin**). Alcohol-based aftershaves make it worse.

**(protip: only use a small amount. You don't want to smell like you bathed in the stuff)

This method takes time, so you might want to give yourself at least 5-10 minutes to do so, depending on how thick your beard is.

@saxamaphone - Couldn't have said it better myself, although again I would suggest the Biotherm for Men products over Nivea. It's a bit more expensive but I found I was still getting razor burn using Nivea stuff, but using the Biotherm, I never ever get razor burn anymore.

Maybe start with the Nivea and if it works for you, stick with it. If not, try something else.

edit: Goddamn you Scott!

I just use a regular razor with warm water, but again i can dry shave without any worry of getting razor burn. i'm weird. The last time i got razor burn was 1992 or something. I do have a beard for about 11 months out of the year, but when i do decide to completely shave, it's razor and cold or warm water. Sometimes no water at all. if i decide to just shave my cheek area.

my understanding is that the breakouts you are getting is basically razor burn, the razor is effectively slicing off the top layer of skin causing the layers below to be exposed to bacteria/whatever and the pimples are a result. do you push your tongue on the inside of your cheeks to make the skin tighter when you shave? this might be causing your troubles.

if not, then try using aftershave straight after your shave, as the alcohol in the aftershave will eliminate bacteria that gets into your little cuts. yeah, it stings for a few seconds obviously.

in my experience shaving against the grain is what gives me razor burn. i find that if you shave with the grain first, then re-wet your face and re-apply your shaving lubricant and then shave against the grain you will minimize razor burn.

I always, always shave after having a shower. because the heat from the water and the steam etc opens your pores up more and your skin is softer and more pliable. I use a combination of shaving oil and a shaving gel. I dont know if you have King of Shaves in the US, but i have been using that brand for years and it is the best i've ever used. I'm fairly certain that the shaving oil can be used with electric razors too. post shave I use a balm, very soothing.

i have a beard so i only really shave my neck area and where my beard finishes on my cheeks (plus tidying around the moustache area). razor burn for me only really happens when i try to shave the area between my bottom lip and chin, so i dont.