The Walking Dead

mcm1610

I'm almost positive the outcome will end up being that Sophia crossed paths with Merle. I doubt she could have survived by herself this whole time. It makes sense.

That's a good point. Looks like he does appear in the next episode.

Next week looks like it's going to be picking up the pace action wise - got really stoked when I saw Merle in the clip.

That dialogue came straight out of the comic - the 'why?' and 'why not?' thing came more out of the reality that the two of them had fairly slim pickins' (i.e. none) when it came to folks of the opposite sex (they're both straight obviously) who were within their age range. When you're surrounded by countless dead and you only see one guy/girl of close age whose fairly attractive staring you down, you don't sleep.

That dialogue came straight out of the comic - the 'why?' and 'why not?' thing came more out of the reality that the two of them had fairly slim pickins' (i.e. none) when it came to folks of the opposite sex (they're both straight obviously) who were within their age range. When you're surrounded by countless dead and you only see one guy/girl of close age whose fairly attractive staring you down, you don't sleep.

ding ding ding!

[image]

[image]

Died at this haha, it's so bad but so good.

Ugh, the lengths they went to just to add suspense to Lori being pregnant. I mean the scene with Jenner at the end of season 1's last episode was like OH WOW WHAT DID HE TELL HIM but then it comes to Rick on the radio saying "Guess what? Nevermind, doesn't matter". And the whole, hey Glenn, get this, I won't say what it is but it's in FEMININE NEEDS. I was like, guys, c'mon, just spill it, we already know. I mean, for those that haven't read the comic (myself included although I want to now) I guess it's a good cliff hanger but by the most recent episode I was just like, seriously, just put it out there. Glad they finally did.

At this point I could give less of a shit about Sofia, much as it's a dick thing to say but yeah. On the other hand any excuse for Daryl to be a badass is completely acceptable.

Also (spoilers I guess) it's interesting that they've kept Shane around this long, my roommates and I were convinced that right before the scene with the deer it was going lead into when Carl shoots Shane. They're definitely doing some good character development with him but I'm wondering if they're going to deviate from the comic and have him live or eventually kill him.

Probably should've got in on this thread sooner, goddamn I love the walking dead.

Just got caught up tonight - this season is moving so fucking slow. I love the style and overall story, the acting is great but the writing has taken a huge step backwards. I think the pacing is a huge problem.

I don't have a better show on tv right now but it is bumming me out that this shows' producer's couldn't come to terms with the original writing team and as a result have made a potentially legendary show into a merely good one.

Last nights episode was okay. Though the pacing was a little less boring, the writing/acting - as was already mentioned - was pretty bad. The second Laurie asked the Asian kid to get her something from the "feminine hygiene" section of the drugstore, it was easy to conclude she wanted a pregnancy test and that the episode would end with her being pregnant. The only decent parts of the episode were when crossbow guy was poking around the abandoned house looking for the little girl, and when they pulled the zombie out of the well. I feel like those were only good because the last six or so episodes of this show have been pretty stupid, because as I'm typing them they actually sound kind of lame. I don't know what to do with this show. I really want to like it, but they're ruining it. I understand that they're "staying true to the novels" in some respects, but they really need to throw us people who haven't read the novels a bone here. /rant

I think this polarization is going to stay with the show throughout the course of its run where the folks who've read the comics are going to defend its pacing (for the most part) as well as the trajectory of the plot while those who haven't are going to say it's plodding and call for more zombie action. Thing is, in the comics the zombies are window dressing - a reason for why these folks are in this situation as well as an occasional direct obstacle - and there are points where you'll go several issues where only a panel or two is shown with a zombie lurking about (the latest issue for example, doesn't show a zombie at all and makes no mention of them either). Alot of folks are saying that this is a soap opera but I think that's a cop out because instead of getting what they want (gore, violence, action, quicker pacing, etc), they're seeing long drawn out conversations and slow moving situations - but that seems truer to life to me personally because this show ultimately ISN'T about the zombies themselves, it's about the survivors figuring out a way to live safely in a world where they're surrounded by them. That's not semantics I promise.

You're probably right, it'll continue to be a bit of polemic because at the core it is a character driven drama that happens to involve zombies and isn't paced like a basic cable show.

The problem I have is that it isn't a particularly great character driven drama. More like "The Killing" and less like "Mad Men". That said, it is always just good enough to keep me watching. Damn them.

The problem I have is that it isn't a particularly great character driven drama.
You've said it right there. I could jive with the slow pace if I actually cared more about these characters and their conversations. Notice I used terms like "crossbow guy" and "Asian kid" earlier because I'm not really connecting with some of these people. I'm all for character-driven drama in zombie plots a la 28 Days Later. But it has to be executed well, and so far The Walking Dead is not delivering in that regard.

I don't mind slowly paced films or television if it has a point. I love long Westerns. I've also read a few of these books and am a huge comic fan. Most movies/shows that attempt and exact adaptation of the book fail. A success is Sin City in my mind. They took the look and action and stayed true to the comic while making it filmic. A huge failure was The Watchmen - they tried to stay too true to the book and it couldn't work in that format.

Walking Dead is occupying an odd in-between for me. It's an above average show that is holding itself back from being truly great television by pacing it like a book. These people are in a daily struggle for life with murderous zombies all around them and I just don't feel the urgency and it bothers me. We get an occasional spurt here and there but that just doesn't feel like enough.

I'm a loyalist but I hate that feeling of wasted potential every week.