Totally OFFICIAL LOST thread *spoiler alert!*

I think Jimmy Kimmel summed it up best.

"If you were expecting it all to get wrapped up tonight you are missing the point."

Personally I loved the ending. Yea there were some questions I still wanted answers for, but I knew it was good series finale when I realized that I really didn't remember what those questions were. Or, why they were so important to begin with.

No, They didn't die in the crash. The Altverse = Purgatory.

i think moreso than purgatory, the alt universe was a sort of waiting room. purgatory is, theologically speaking, a place for people to atone for their sins, which i don't think they were really doing. really. ish.

"If you were expecting it all to get wrapped up tonight you are missing the point."

Personally I loved the ending. Yea there were some questions I still wanted answers for, but I knew it was good series finale when I realized that I really didn't remember what those questions were. Or, why they were so important to begin with.

this, pretty much exactly.

Above, Allison used the term waiting room. This is absolutely correct. I came up with this idea after realizing Hurley and Ben speaking outside of the church "You were a good #1..." and "You were a good #2...". There was existence for those still alive after Jack died. The island was real and their "lives" back on the mainland was a waiting room after they died. As Christian said, they were waiting for each other to cross over into "heaven". Here's an article that does a much better job explaining this:

http://www.theackattack.net/?p=1970#more-1970

Yeah, the island was real. Flash sideways were the "waiting room". Penny being there was a bit different though. It's almost like it was Desmond who was ready to "let go" and had to convince everyone else to join him, Desmond's party. It's Jack's story though as his realization coincided with his death on the island/in real life. Jimmy Kimmel pointed out that the first words after the turbulance in the season opener were Rose telling Jack he can "let go now"...he was the one who needed to be convinced. Which is interesting because the last 2 season's arc was him rejecting science and logic and becoming a student of faith. One would have assumed that he would have been the easiest to convince. I am happy with this ending to the show, regardless of the religious overtones. The reason those others aren't at the Church is because they are, as Christian alluded, less important to Jack.

Ben was obviously conscious with his decision not to enter the church and move on, perhaps because he had found a life with Rousseau and Alex and wanted to pursue this as opposed to moving on - to whatever that is.

Rewatch it - knowing how it ends - Desmond's speech to Kate at the beginning really says it all.

Enjoy it, there will never be another show like this.

The more thought I've given it and read other people's take on it, I feel that it was a solid end. Yes, it left me scratching my head a hit but then again, I wouldn't have had it any other way.

A few questions were left unanswered but in the grand scheme of the story and series, those questions are trivial.

This ending will definitely make re-watching the series bittersweet.

No, They didn't die in the crash. The Altverse = Purgatory.

i think moreso than purgatory, the alt universe was a sort of waiting room. purgatory is, theologically speaking, a place for people to atone for their sins, which i don't think they were really doing. really. ish.

"Purgatory is the state of those who die in God’s friendship or Grace, assured of their eternal salvation, but who still have need of purification to enter into the happiness of heaven."

You basically just gave it another name ;)

I had to sleep on it, but I thought it was awesome.

I realized earlier this season though, that I really watched Lost for the mythology and the mystery, rather than the characters. Not to say that I didn't like the characters, but I was more into that aspect of the show. So from that stand point I was slightly let down by a few things, but once you realize Lost is about the people you get it. Just like Kimmel said, "If you were expecting it all to get wrapped up tonight you are missing the point."

Great show!

I'll miss it.

What now?

Can we get a Sawyer/Miles cop spin off? Maybe a whacky Hurley and Ben show? Haha

I realized earlier this season though, that I really watched Lost for the mythology and the mystery, rather than the characters. Not to say that I didn't like the characters, but I was more into that aspect of the show. So from that stand point I was slightly let down by a few things, but once you realize Lost is about the people you get it.

And that is the reason why so many fans were let down by the ending. They were too focused on the mythology of the show and the island, that they lost sight of the characters which it's what it ultimately was all about. I am guilty of that. I was left a bit dumbfounded and confused at first but then after giving it some thought, I wrapped my mind around it and felt very satisfied about it all ended.

Also giving some thought to the re-cap show preceding the finale and how the writers and actors kept stressing the characters and their development/growth throughout the series makes you realize and accept that it was all much more greater than the mythology so many of us focused and harped on.

Now what am I going to do on Tuesday nights?!?!

"Purgatory is the state of those who die in God’s friendship or Grace, assured of their eternal salvation, but who still have need of purification to enter into the happiness of heaven."

but none of them were being 'purified', they just needed to be enlightened about their time together. i was raised catholic, and was taught that purgatory was a place where you were punished for non-major sins (venial sins, or what have you) before you could be worthy to enter heaven. i.e. temporary suffering to achieve an ultimately permanent heavenly state. if it was truly purgatory, all the characters would have to stay for different amounts of time; they wouldn't all pass on to wherever as one giant collective.

by 'waiting room' i meant exactly that. they weren't serving any punishment, they were just that...waiting. the differences in definition are minor, but they're large enough that i wouldn't call it purgatory. and again, this is obviously way open to interpretation.

but none of them were being 'purified', they just needed to be enlightened about their time together. i was raised catholic, and was taught that purgatory was a place where you were punished for non-major sins (venial sins, or what have you) before you could be worthy to enter heaven. i.e. temporary suffering to achieve an ultimately permanent heavenly state. if it was truly purgatory, all the characters would have to stay for different amounts of time; they wouldn't all pass on to wherever as one giant collective.

by 'waiting room' i meant exactly that. they weren't serving any punishment, they were just that...waiting. the differences in definition are minor, but they're large enough that i wouldn't call it purgatory. and again, this is obviously way open to interpretation.

I'm not trying to start an argument, But Ben stayed behind because he still had some stuff to work out. I kind of think they tried to wrap every religions view of purgatory into one little thing.

Notice how the stained glass windows in the church had symbols from 5 or 6 of the most prominent religions. So I suppose if you Wanted to combine the lot of them Waiting Room Works...It really does not matter what you call it.

The Point is they were ready at the same time, Thats what Desmond was up to the whole time. Getting them ready and helping them let go of their guilt and/or attachment to their Lives. Also Purification does not necessarily Imply Punishment.

:)

I'm not trying to start an argument, But Ben stayed behind because he still had some stuff to work out. I kind of think they tried to wrap every religions view of purgatory into one little thing.

Notice how the stained glass windows in the church had symbols from 5 or 6 of the most prominent religions. So I suppose if you Wanted to combine the lot of them Waiting Room Works...It really does not matter what you call it.

The Point is they were ready at the same time, Thats what Desmond was up to the whole time. Getting them ready and helping them let go of their guilt and/or attachment to their Lives. Also Purification does not necessarily Imply Punishment.

'purgatory' is a primarily catholic belief, with the majority of other religions not even believing in it. and yes, it does imply punishment. taken from wiki: "Purgatory is a cleansing that involves painful temporal punishment, associated with the idea of fire such as is associated with the idea of the eternal punishment of hell"

in regard to ben choosing to stay, you don't get to choose to stay in purgatory; you are merely there until you have endured enough suffering to atone for your sins. i think i just object to the use of the word 'purgatory' itself, because what happened to the losties doesn't jive entirely with what purgatory is, imo.

'purgatory' is a primarily catholic belief, with the majority of other religions not even believing in it. and yes, it does imply punishment. taken from wiki: "Purgatory is a cleansing that involves painful temporal punishment, associated with the idea of fire such as is associated with the idea of the eternal punishment of hell"

in regard to ben choosing to stay, you don't get to choose to stay in purgatory; you are merely there until you have endured enough suffering to atone for your sins. i think i just object to the use of the word 'purgatory' itself, because what happened to the losties doesn't jive entirely with what purgatory is, imo.

Well, They weren't just waiting around, Purgatory doesn't work either I guess. Either way they were chilling in something inbetween while they worked some shit out.

Well, They weren't just waiting around, Purgatory doesn't work either I guess. Either way they were chilling in something inbetween while they worked some shit out.

yerp!