Smashing Pumpkins

Was talking to my mom on the phone about this (infinite sadness) when i saw it cause i was excited about the price. then 5 minutes later i get an email with the receipt saying "merry chrsitmas ya filthy animal."

my mom rules and saved me $41.

yea its about 15 bucks shipped to the US.

i'm asking them to price match since they just mailed it this morning...

Called their customer service and they couldn't issue me a refund for the price difference since my item shipped, but she did offer promotional credit to me issued to my Amazon.ca account. I'm down with that.

Called their customer service and they couldn't issue me a refund for the price difference since my item shipped, but she did offer promotional credit to me issued to my Amazon.ca account. I'm down with that.

nice!  i sent in my request via e-mail, so if i have no luck with them i'll give them a call.  thanks for the info!

I think the whole distortion things is over exaggerated 

You'd have to have something wrong with your ears to make a statement like this.  It's horribly distorted and that's not an exaggeration.  The only other album that I've heard with IGD just as bad is coincidentally the Oceania vinyl.  Both of those pressing were clearly done with very little care.

Zero does sound pretty awful, and turns into a mess of distortion by the end of the song.  To Forgive (the last song on the Side B sounds pretty awful as well by the end.

Agreed.  To Forgive may even be the more tragic of the 2, given the fact that it's a much more mellow song.  I happen to think that causes it to be even more noticeable.

Oh, I get it now.  Never read that or maybe I did but couldn't recall that exact statement.  LOL

My thoughts on it:  He's making excuses for it.  Must feel pretty shitty to spend your life and have so much experience just to put out a shitty product.  Not a lot of sympathy.  I find it very hard to believe that, given the opportunity, someone else wouldn't be able to rework it and fix the issues.  The issues are there.  No one can deny that or try to tell me I'm wrong.  It's actually not a big deal to me to the point that I don't want to own it anymore.  That's not to say that I'm able to look past it and still enjoy Zero and To Forgive when I listen to this vinyl release.  It'll be painful every time, but I also have digital copies and CDs if I want to listen to those songs in their true glory.  The rest of the MCIS boxset is great honestly.  The rest of the songs are fine from my point of view and the I think the inserts and box were done well.  I haven't been on the forums constantly complaining about it, it's just that I saw someone try to say that the quality of those 2 songs being so crappy is an exaggeration urks me a little.  Mostly because I don't understand how someone could possibly not hear how horrible it sounds.  Can't help myself to call them folks out.  ;)

It sucks because honestly I was most looking forward to hearing Zero on wax. No effin' joke. I love the Pumpkins and know of all their other material, but this is really one of my more favorite heavy and quick songs that they have. Just an amazing song. And I was so close to being able to hear it on vinyl without paying $200+.

If it was in almost any other order on the album it probably would have been fine. Just effing blows that the biggest flaw in the product is what you actually bought the product for.

I really wish I could hear someone's messed up copy of Mellon Collie. Maybe I got lucky. Mine sounds great all the way through. That, or maybe I have a really untrained ear, but people seem to say it's extremely noticeable.

You aren't the only one saying their copy sounds good. Maybe just luck of the draw I guess?

I'd love to hear a copy of it that sounds fine.  I can't assume you guys are deaf at all, I'm sure you're not actually.  Because, yes, if your copies were bad, it's impossible to not hear the distortion.  Some people have said that certain TTs and/or carts can make the difference.  I believe the issue is that the press was done way too close to the center label so theoretically if you have the right combo of TT and cart, maybe it handles the very tight rotations that close to the center.  You shouldn't need special equipment though to play a certain record.

dreamover made a very good point about Zero sounding great on the Aeroplane box.  I haven't picked that one up yet, but that'll definitely be a bonus I hadn't previously thought about.

Do any of you that say you don't notice any problem on your MCIS disc 1 also have Oceania?  I straight up sold that record because the distortion also became increasingly noticeable on ALL sides of that 2xLP release, from my perspective, ruining the sound on the last song of each side.  Also, I love the Oceania album.  Cannot wait to hear what else Billy and company have in store for the future.

I'd love to hear a copy of it that sounds fine.  I can't assume you guys are deaf at all, I'm sure you're not actually.  Because, yes, if your copies were bad, it's impossible to not hear the distortion.  Some people have said that certain TTs and/or carts can make the difference.  I believe the issue is that the press was done way too close to the center label so theoretically if you have the right combo of TT and cart, maybe it handles the very tight rotations that close to the center.  You shouldn't need special equipment though to play a certain record.

dreamover made a very good point about Zero sounding great on the Aeroplane box.  I haven't picked that one up yet, but that'll definitely be a bonus I hadn't previously thought about.

Do any of you that say you don't notice any problem on your MCIS disc 1 also have Oceania?  I straight up sold that record because the distortion also became increasingly noticeable on ALL sides of that 2xLP release, from my perspective, ruining the sound on the last song of each side.  Also, I love the Oceania album.  Cannot wait to hear what else Billy and company have in store for the future.

It's funny that it's confusing to everyone.  Similar to you, I couldn't help but feel everyone that was complaining must be impossible to please, because I didn't notice anything.  I can't speak on Oceania, but I don't think this issue has to do with the turntable.  My setup is super cheap, but the whole record (including Zero) sounds great.  My best guess is that it's simply a pressing flaw that affected a large number of copies.

It's not a pressing flaw, it's how the record was cut and it becomes evident when a tables cartridge picks it up because of the cartridge's alignment. Now some carts are aligned in a way that won't make it evident at all.

From my understanding of cartridge alignment, you can correct it so that you get little to no IGD on Zero, but then MCIS and T,T will have heavy distortion.