Smashing Pumpkins

billy emailed crestfallen.com to let them know there would be a big announcement on monday. the obvious news is something regarding the adore reissue. then he tweeted:

"Big news on Monday involves future SP, but for today I'll mention that we just finished mix of LetMeGiveTheWorldToYou for Adore: Amazing!!"

Also, I noticed the band photo on the front page of SP.com was replaced with a shamrock which leads me to think there's a lineup change.

Jeff is in chicago working with him on a new album, mike and nicole are working with their other bands.

Jimmy is back in Chicago playing jazz clubs with some great musicians, but fingers are crossed that he's in Chicago for other reasons as well.

In my humble opinion, it's been beat to death and should be put to rest. It puts attention over the moniker and makes new music somehow into "competition" with the Pumpkins legacy, at least when it comes to the way the media and casual fans take it. Since Zeitgeist, the music reflects Corgan's approach much more than anything else, even with his efforts to make everything sound as a natural SP move. But I guess Billy Corgan solo (or whatever other name he would create) would reflect it fairly.

But let's not start a flame war, please. Like I said, it's almost meaningless at this point. Just thought this could be one announcement possibility.

I realize that Billy probably was the driving force behind all the SP albums, but it still feels weird to me when he is the only original member remaining and he continues under the moniker.  I'll listen to new music from him either way, but I really don't consider this new stuff the same as 1990s Smashing Pumpkins.

the problem is, SP was always an ever-evolving thing. machina still sounds way different than gish or adore... yet it was still very much pumpkins. i don't feel different about the new stuff. 

also, billy was always the driving force and he is in a different mindset with the pumpkins than anything else. according to him, it comes from the same place. when he was doing solo stuff and zwan it was completely different which is why they had different names. 

Two New Smashing Pumpkins Albums Set for 2015

March 26, 2014

Pleased to announce that I’ve just inked a new record deal with BMG that will see the release of two Smashing Pumpkins albums in 2015; titled successively: ‘Monuments To An Elegy’ and ‘Day For Night.’ For those interested in sound, think: ‘guitars, guitars, guitars, and more guitars;’ but more so on the epic side of things than say, grossly metallic. Recording sessions begin today, as plenty of songs have been written and ready to go. Manning the boards will be producer Howard Willing, with whom I first had the pleasure of working with during the ‘Adore’ sessions. We expect a single out by year’s end.

Additionally, this stands as the initial post on a new nexus: The Panopticon, which through its simplicity should better address the speed of modern life. A continuing feature, items regarding each day’s recording will be shared that same evening, with song titles, lyrics, poetic impressions, pictures, sound clips, studio gear and the like offered for a circuitous, bird’s eye view of the process as it unfolds.

-W.P.C. 3/25/14

http://www.smashingpumpkinsnexus.com/#!Two-New-Smashing-Pumpkins-Albums-Set-for-2015/c7ba/A17022BC-8DA1-4A25-9D18-71B7B24E39BB

No updates on the Adore reissue :( I'd definitely prefer the Adore and Machina reissues (my 2 favourite pumpkins albums, hate away) than 2 new albums. Judging by the description ive got semi-high hopes for this album. Wasnt a massive fan of Oceania!!

March 26, 2014

Pleased to announce that I’ve just inked a new record deal with BMG that will see the release of two Smashing Pumpkins albums in 2015; titled successively: ‘Monuments To An Elegy’ and ‘Day For Night.’ For those interested in sound, think: ‘guitars, guitars, guitars, and more guitars;’ but more so on the epic side of things than say, grossly metallic. Recording sessions begin today, as plenty of songs have been written and ready to go. Manning the boards will be producer Howard Willing, with whom I first had the pleasure of working with during the ‘Adore’ sessions. We expect a single out by year’s end.

Additionally, this stands as the initial post on a new nexus: The Panopticon, which through its simplicity should better address the speed of modern life. A continuing feature, items regarding each day’s recording will be shared that same evening, with song titles, lyrics, poetic impressions, pictures, sound clips, studio gear and the like offered for a circuitous, bird’s eye view of the process as it unfolds.

-W.P.C. 3/25/14

http://www.smashingpumpkinsnexus.com/#!Two-New-Smashing-Pumpkins-Albums-Set-for-2015/c7ba/A17022BC-8DA1-4A25-9D18-71B7B24E39BB

No updates on the Adore reissue :( I'd definitely prefer the Adore and Machina reissues (my 2 favourite pumpkins albums, hate away) than 2 new albums. Judging by the description ive got semi-high hopes for this album. Wasnt a massive fan of Oceania!!

Oceania was way better than Zeitgeist though.

March 26, 2014

-W.P.C. 3/25/14

God!  You're favorite 2 Pumpkins albums are Adore and Machina?!  What's wrong with you?!  just kidding... :)

I was really hoping for a concrete date on the Adore reissue too.  What was said doesn't necessarily mean that those reissues are being postponed because of these new albums, I didn't take it that way.  I was thinking the Adore reissue would come out at some point this year at least.

I for one am really excited to hear this new stuff next year because I think Oceania was a huge step in the right direction getting back to a more classic Pumpkins sound.  I didn't care much for Machina II and Zeitgeist.

How the hell does a person write 132 demos? Nonetheless remember and keep track? Probably the same person that undertakes a 28 song double CD album...But as a guitar player/song writer this stuff blows my mind. There's just songs constantly going on in Billy's head...

Oceania was way better than Zeitgeist though.

:huh: 

I can't get through Oceania without skipping song after (going on) 3-4 tries...but Zeitgeist is fucking awesome and I've listened to the whole thing all the way through at least 30 times and I pretty much know every song. And it sounds AMAZING with a good home or car stereo system and sub. Maybe it's just Oceania isn't for me, but I'm so glad Billy made Zeitgeist, such a raw sound that personifies the kind of rock musician he can be.

I'm pretty excited about this news. I think Howard Willing is a good idea. He can't go wrong with multilayered, "epic" guitars. Also his approach of writing a bunch of songs and picking out the best is another smart move. I know it's the process he used to use on the older albums. I'm not sure what his approach was on Oceania, and Zeitgeist.

Having this new nexus panopticon website seems a little like over kill to me though. There are already so many sites that already exist for this very reason. But whatever.

However I am happy they nuked the O boards. I know some people are pissed about it, but they can all migrate to the cesspool of netphoria. Take all of their negativity with them.