Smashing Pumpkins

Yeah the SP reunion in 2007 was originally touted as a Billy/Jimmy affair with musicians-for-hire supporting the live act. Jimmy's departure after that was reportedly unamicable so it will be interesting to hear interviews with him about this.

I'm kinda bummed that I'll be missing my date on this tour due to an already scheduled vacation, but here's hoping Jimmy helps finish the Day For Night sessions and that the relationship sticks this time.

I'm in the same boat.  We're coming back from vacation the day of the show and it's pretty unlikely that I'll make it to the show.  I'm super fucking bummed about it after this news.

and he drummed on and co-produced Zeitgeist!

That's the LP. The EP is American Gothic and that's the last thing they did together in the studio (aside from the one off singles like Superchrist and Glow).

Honestly everything after that will reside in that space Adore does. How much better would Teargarden, Oceania, and Monuments have been received had Jimmy been drumming on them?

For me, it's not the drumming that's felt uninspired. The kid Billy got to drum after Jimmy left was basically a Jimmy emulator and Tommy Lee, while definitely a different drummer than Jimmy, also had some interesting things to say behind the kit.

I just really don't like the pop vocal production post-Machina. I think all the songs Zeitgest and forward would sound so much better if the vocals were produced similarly to those on Siamese Dream or Mellon Collie.

For me, it's not the drumming that's felt uninspired. The kid Billy got to drum after Jimmy left was basically a Jimmy emulator and Tommy Lee, while definitely a different drummer than Jimmy, also had some interesting things to say behind the kit.

I just really don't like the pop vocal production post-Machina. I think all the songs Zeitgest and forward would sound so much better if the vocals were produced similarly to those on Siamese Dream or Mellon Collie.

I remember reading an interview with Billy (or a podcast maybe) where he was talking about how the vocal change everyone is talking about was a conscious decision he made to sing differently.  Really, I'd rather him sing how he used to, straining and crackly vocals and all, because it all seemed to have more emotion in it.  Now, it's all so smoothed over and sits in a comfortable range that lacks any depth or feeling.    

And no matter what, I think all Smashing Pumpkins drums without Jimmy are uninspired.  The stuff Tommy Lee did, any professional drummer could have done.  Nothing was really special about the drums on that entire record.  And Byrne was a big copycat.  While he was good at copying, that's all he did.  I'd rather have the real deal.

I guess I've just never felt like Jimmy makes or breaks SP, even if he is definitely the best drummer they've ever had. There have been better songs and there have been worse songs than Zeitgest/American Gothic since Jimmy left; mostly better. BUT 50% of the original lineup still feels better than Billy solo. Hopefully it puts some of the fun back in to playing the older material for Billy.

In a live setting the newer songs sound a lot better to me because the vocals tend to sit much lower in the mix, more like the older records.

Honestly everything after that will reside in that space Adore does. How much better would Teargarden, Oceania, and Monuments have been received had Jimmy been drumming on them?

MtaE had no room for Jimmy. Tommy Lee perfomance is one of the highest points of that album and worked pretty well on getting BC focused on the core of the songs, IMHO.

MtaE had no room for Jimmy. Tommy Lee perfomance is one of the highest points of that album and worked pretty well on getting BC focused on the core of the songs, IMHO.

Disagree. Jimmy is as versatile as they come. I have no problem with a more minimalistic style of drumming. Most busy drummers always play busy, but Jimmy always knows what's best for a song. Plenty of songs on Mellon Collie have simple drum parts that fit the song perfectly.

Disagree. Jimmy is as versatile as they come. I have no problem with a more minimalistic style of drumming. Most busy drummers always play busy, but Jimmy always knows what's best for a song. Plenty of songs on Mellon Collie have simple drum parts that fit the song perfectly.

Agreed. Just listen to something like Lily. That is an incredibly simple, but effective, drum part.

It was my understanding that both Monuments and the follow up were recorded in one session. Might be wrong though.

Day for Night wasn't recorded with MtaE. BC had been demoing stuff for Day for Night after MtaE was finished, but they're going in the studio after the End Times tour wraps up. They're hoping to have the single out before the end of the year and the record out early next year.

Day for Night wasn't recorded with MtaE. BC had been demoing stuff for Day for Night after MtaE was finished, but they will be in the studio after the End Times tour wraps up. They're hoping to have the single out before the end of the year and the record out early next year.

That's how it went. Thanks for the heads up!

• 4 weeks later...