The "can't believe i passed on that deal" thread.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been buying records since I started high school in 2003, as a kid I didn't have a whole lot of money to spend on vinyl so I had to pick and choose what I wanted very carefully, as a result I missed out on buying a bunch of things that now go for crazy money, Deja Entendu, Artist in the Ambulance, the other colors of Full Collapse and Tell All Your Friends (they all used to be $9 at interpunk), Say it Like you Mean it, etc. It sucks because I came sooo close to buying each of those records but I can't complain too much because the records I bought instead during that time period haven't held up too badly either (AFI - Sing the Sorrow, Thursday - War All the Time, Dashboard Confessional - Swiss Army Romance, Hey Mercedes - Every Night Fireworks, etc).

Something most of the people here wouldn't care about, but at a record swap I passed on a near mint copy of Vol 1 by Sonny Rollins on Blue Note deep groove with Lexington labels. He wanted $85 and wouldn't take my offer of $75. That record would now most likely sell for over $400 in that state.

Also the whole Pearl Jam on vinyl. When Ten came out I was in my stupid state of just buying cds. I thought the vinyl would always be around for a few bucks. Wrong. Time to hit up the garage sales and swapmeets.

A couple years ago some dude was selling a Green Day 1st pressing "Slappy" on green vinyl and 1st pressing "Sweet Children" on pink vinyl for $10BIN each. I had to go to class and was running late so I got to class and went on the computer to buy them and they were gone....SO FUCKING PISSED about that.

One time I saw Unicornography at a Hot Topic (OG copy), said to myself "I'll get that the next time I'm in here."

Now I say "Tom, you're an idiot."

There were three at my local hot topic a couple years back and I bought all three of them for $7.98 each. Came in very handy on a couple of trades :)

I bought it new when it came out for like $15. Only thing I've ever gotten at Hot Topic.

My biggest regret is passing up on bidding on The Smashing Pumpkins "Machina" on eBay about 6ish months ago. The reason I regret it is because the record sold for $15. It usually sells for $80-$100. I bet the seller was angry.

Another one was when I passed up on Mars Volta "Deloused In the Comatorium" at my local record store probably 6 or 7 times before it went OOP until one day it was finally gone.

So many little stories like this but I passed on Leatherface's "Mush" in the late 1990's for like $10 because I was so broke. Good decision at the time but I still think about it.

Ahh man. I had this a couple years ago but traded it off for a pretty hefty chunk of records. I kind of regret it, but I did get a lot of good records out of the deal.

One time I saw Unicornography at a Hot Topic (OG copy), said to myself "I'll get that the next time I'm in here."

Now I say "Tom, you're an idiot."

Bought one immediately when it came out at Hot Topic - I was 14 at the time, and only knew that my older brother was friends with some of the guys who made the record. Thought it was cool that I found it there and bought.

Fast forward to 2009 - when I started buying vinyl again. I had forgotten I even had the record until I saw how much they were selling for on eBay. I could only find the cover, the insert, and the inner sleeve (meaning the record was out of all packaging, sitting somewhere by itself). I freaked out and searched my house for 3 or 4 days and finally found it laying under my brothers bed, covered with clothing, miraculously unscathed. So lucky.

That is all.

Something most of the people here wouldn't care about, but at a record swap I passed on a near mint copy of Vol 1 by Sonny Rollins on Blue Note deep groove with Lexington labels. He wanted $85 and wouldn't take my offer of $75. That record would now most likely sell for over $400 in that state.

You might be surprised. The jazz fans around here find one another. This would have been an incredible buy.

went to Copeland's last show at The Middle East in Cambridge, MA, and they had "You Are My Sunshine" on vinyl. It was $20, and I must have been low in funds in my savings account at the time because I thought "shit I don't want to spend $20 on an LP right now." I also didn't want to carry it around all night. Always passed on it online assuming one day I'd get it for a good price. Then, it became OOP and the price fucking skyrocketed. It legitimately hurts my stomach to this day when I think about it because I'll never be able to get it now. Keep in mind this is my favorite album by them too.

This happened to me on their 2nd to last tour, they didnt have one on their last tour but for some reason i remember it being $25 at that show. I was like that's just too much, now I just feel dumb. The other major one was like 2 years ago when Thrice's Alchemy Index was on Double clearance at Hot Topic basically it came out to like $15 and I passed on it because I already had and just said someone who wants it can get it. The next day I went back and it was gone then I saw the ebay prices, but honestly what was I going to do with 2 copies of those records I'm really not in the game to flip things, but still I feel dumb for passing it up must be my hoarding tendencies.

I remember finding a bunch of Panic!'s "Fever" on Hot Topic clearance a few years back. Wish I picked them up, would have made for great trades.

Also, Pains Of Being Pure At Heart S/T for 9.99 at UO. Would have been nice to have picked that up at the time.

You can get it for 8.99 here

http://www.invinylwetrust.com/The_Pains_Of_Being_Pure_At_Heart_S_T_LP_p/slr%2089.htm

Argyle Park - Misguided, only 3 were made, only seen it for sale once, and I watched it creep on past my available funds, and then end at $500 :/

More recently, saw the Eso-Charis 7" on blue go for $20...

I would LOVE to own Misguided on vinyl (along with Klank and Circle of Dust's stuff as well) but it's a shame only 3 of these were made.

Where did the Eso-Charis end? Wouldn't mind a copy of that 7" either - someone needs to put their sole record out (*cough* Brent *cough*)

You might be surprised. The jazz fans around here find one another. This would have been an incredible buy.

The Lexington label Blue Notes tend to get a tad too expensive for my taste - they're not on par in price with the pressings of records that Sun Ra and his crew would press by themselves but they're close.