Shit on bands here

I listened to Sunbather one time and I did enjoy it, but the vocals really will prevent me from going back to it.

Is that the difference between shoegaze and post-rock? I like post-rock, I don't like post-rock + Deafheaven vocals.

I always thought Shoegaze was more that the guitars were distorted and effected to the point where it's almost like a sea of noise, so it's a kind of shifting drone, with indistinct vocals buried in the middle. Post rock focuses more on the arrangements of the pieces (rather than volume or distortion) so that there's experimentation with instrumentation, rhythm, tone etc.

Deafheaven seem to be part of this "post-metal" thing that's happening (Wolves in the Throne Room for example) that leaves me pretty cold. There's this repetition of harsh, dissonant riffs and shrieked vocals (like black metal) and the experimentation of song structure and arrangement (like post rock) but I don't believe Deafheaven have done it particularly well, especially when there are other bands out there doing very similar things and not getting anywhere near the same amount of media exposure.

Yeah I guess so. I way prefer black metal to this though. I was just wondering about what you meant by sunny sound (I can't listen to music on this computer atm) but from what I remember the music in Deafheaven wasn't particularly "sunny" or "happy"? I might be misremembering though.

i would say its just more trebly and twinkly and melodic compared to traditional harsh crushing black metal

fitz and the tantrums. absolute fucking garbage. female singer actually has a voice, and the male lead singer disgustingly overcompensates trying to match. and cannot.

Fitz is actually a nice guy haha. My coworker went to HS with him and he have us free tix when they played here.

It's definitely audible with lyrics in hand for the first listen or two. If you ever see the band live - which is improbable in your case, but also a shame since they put on a fantastic set - you may be surprised to see many people in the front shout along to every lyric of every song. I think a lot of the people who can't process Deafheaven probably don't listen to a lot of aggressive music to begin with. Posts like treesus' illustrate exactly how I felt about Converge as a late-teen, until Bannon's vocals clicked with me. Sometimes vocals are mixed and implemented as an additional texture or instrument to the band's sound. Complimentary, even. And for Deafheaven, that's how I hear George's contributions. If I wanted something with super polished vocals in the forefront, I'd turn on the radio.

no fucking way dude.  the best of everything comes from argument.  If it's just a bunch of lame music snobs shitting on music they don't like because it's too cool or hipster or mainstream, it's boring and it gets old quick.  This thread would have died 50 pages ago.

I'm glad a lot of you people don't like deafheaven cause I already love this shit and thanks everyone for having bad music taste!

Except y'all act like someone killed your kid when someone shits on a band you like. You are in a thread directed solely to shit on bands. No one wants to read about you hating Deafheaven in a Deafheaven thread so you have this thread to get away with it without all the fanboys coming in and getting hurt that someone doesnt like there vocals so they must hate all aggressive music.

Except y'all act like someone killed your kid when someone shits on a band you like. You are in a thread directed solely to shit on bands. No one wants to read about you hating Deafheaven in a Deafheaven thread so you have this thread to get away with it without all the fanboys coming in and getting hurt that someone doesnt like there vocals so they must hate all aggressive music.

I agree. I dig heavy music, but Deafheaven doesn't strike me as original, or particularly exceptional at what they do. The combination of harshish screaming vocals and twinkly guitars makes me think more of "pop-metal" than "black-gaze," it's my thing, but if you like it, great.

I think one post defending a band you like is fine, but that's plenty in this thread though.

Who cares?