Sketchiness from Virgil Dickerson / Suburban Home?

i think thats the point though. OBVIOUSLY those things ate into the profit margin. But his point was that if you are a company that is pulling in a million dollars in a year, and you are walking away with nothing (with less than nothing actually.......in the hole with a huge negative balance), then by all accounts, you are fucking up somewhere.

Just because your company makes a million in a year does NOT mean that you are a millionaire, by any means. But it does mean that your company should be able to not go into debt over 50 and 100 dollar (or even 500-1000) payments here and there.

pretty much this. like i said, i understand the different between gross vs. net. if you are grossing that kind of money, youre running a pretty serious business. i think we can all agree on that much.

look, you just dont suddenly bleed that much cash in a single month or two (and we know it didnt happen that quickly anyway). there were warning signs. maybe even an accountant going "umm?" and if not, and he was doing the bookkeeping - then he knew full well what was coming (provided that he knew what he was doing. and if he didnt, then he had no business handling that part of the business in the first place and this might have all been avoided). instead, he parlayed whatever he had (whether it was his or not).

is it shitty that his wife (apparently) left him and he lost his family? of course, it is. but ya know - thats a pretty tell-tale sign of the financial ruin he put himself and his family in over selling some records.

Sometimes I can't help but feel bad for this guy. He obviously had no business running a business. I never wanna be in a situation where hundreds of people are telling me I owe them money. But I think the biggest problem is the consignment issues. How hard is it to take in product, sell it for xx amount and then write a check for a portion of that to the label and keep the profit?

Can they? I don't know. It would take a 100% loss and turn it into a 75% loss. If I were a distro owed money, I would try.

READING THIS THREAD HAS MADE ME HIT ALL CAPS AND I THINK I WILL LEAVE IT ON FOR THE DAY. YEAH, WE WERE OWED MONEY, AND WERE GETTING BRUSHED OFF, AND LIKE IT'S BEEN SAID, THAT WHOLE BEER TOUR THING REALLY SENT ME ALL KINDS OF OVER THE EDGE. YELLPOSTING ACTUALLY WORKED AND WE GOT OUR MONEY. SO THAT WAS COOL. IT WAS A WHILE AGO, I THINK IT WAS OVER THE COURSE OF A FEW MONTHS, BUT WE GOT IT.

I know both me and Flood emailed him separately and said that if he valued his safety, that he should pay you guys back. ha!

Scott is such a tool. Don't you have a feature on Attack! Attack! to be editing, before the last embers of your dying industry burn out?

I wish I could say this thread has convinced me to not buy any of the records you put out. Luckily, though, the records you release convince me not to buy any of the records you put out.

i think thats the point though. OBVIOUSLY those things ate into the profit margin. But his point was that if you are a company that is pulling in a million dollars in a year, and you are walking away with nothing (with less than nothing actually.......in the hole with a huge negative balance), then by all accounts, you are fucking up somewhere.

Just because your company makes a million in a year does NOT mean that you are a millionaire, by any means. But it does mean that your company should be able to not go into debt over 50 and 100 dollar (or even 500-1000) payments here and there.

pretty much this. like i said, i understand the different between gross vs. net. if you are grossing that kind of money, youre running a pretty serious business. i think we can all agree on that much.

look, you just dont suddenly bleed that much cash in a single month or two (and we know it didnt happen that quickly anyway). there were warning signs. maybe even an accountant going "umm?" and if not, and he was doing the bookkeeping - then he knew full well what was coming (provided that he knew what he was doing. and if he didnt, then he had no business handling that part of the business in the first place and this might have all been avoided). instead, he parlayed whatever he had (whether it was his or not).

is it shitty that his wife (apparently) left him and he lost his family? of course, it is. but ya know - thats a pretty tell-tale sign of the financial ruin he put himself and his family in over selling some records.

Could not agree more. Well put, both of you guys.

Like I said earlier it is one thing to make mistakes and fuck up (whether it be avoidable and you should not be running a business in the first place or unavoidable, shit happened, business caught on fire or whatever). It is another to not face those mistakes, find a solution, move on, and learn from them as to not let it happen again. As I also said, it does not seem obvious that these mistakes have had solutions applied and acted on, lessons learned, and then moving forward. He seems to have just disappeared and moved on hoping everyone will kinda forget about it through time.

Scott is such a tool. Don't you have a feature on Attack! Attack! to be editing, before the last embers of your dying industry burn out?

I wish I could say this thread has convinced me to not buy any of the records you put out. Luckily, though, the records you release convince me not to buy any of the records you put out.

OH MAN YOU GOT ME REAL GOOD THERE

Go back to your job as a sandwich artist and keep on bitching about selloutz on the PIX boards, Jeff.

Thanks, I like those sandals, too! They're Nike ACG Santiam 4s. I had to buy them online from Eastbay.com because I have size 14 feet, and it's damn near impossible to find any shoes in my size in stores. I don't think they make that particular style anymore, but they usually do a revamp of it every year or two, so I'll let you know when the new ones come out.

Wait a second, were you saying that to make fun of me?

OH MAN YOU GOT ME REAL GOOD THERE

I've been having a pretty shitty day. This thread has made it a bit less shitty.

Hey JD, I wanna come to NJ and hang out with you. Deal?

Sure, anytime. I lead the unexciting life of a married documentary producer with a baby who barely sleeps. That said my guests are served top shelf booze and my cats are really friendly. Still interested?

If your concern is that I'm feeling shitty and going turn into a bridge jumper it's not like that. A character from an early film I did died unexpectedly. It's hard lose someone you respect and are inspired by regardless of the circumstances.

Vinyljunkie, you have convinced me to retract my earlier statement and say everyone is equally owed. The investment analogy is true, but clearly key information about the investment was held out. We aren't talking about someone investing in penny stocks hoping to get rich (where the risks are known and agreed to by the purchaser), it is closer to Bernie Madoff.

Someone want to report Virgil to the SEC?

No, you are talking about investing in a penny stock. Anyone who paid for the lifetime subscription without considering the chance the label would go belly up is naive. It was a business just like any other business. They invested hoping that down the line they'd make a return on their investment (in records, not dollars). It didn't happen and that sucks, but that's how it goes sometimes.

What would you call "key information"?

And the Madoff comparison doesn't make any sense at all. Madoff took peoples money with the intent to defraud them. Virgil just didn't do a good job running his business.

quick aside... a few years ago my brother bought me a couple of VC gift certificates for christmas. he said "VC must be making a shit ton of money- selling $100 gift cards for $75 from a relatively small company.. wow." two weeks later, the first meme was posted where virgil's face was photoshopped on scrooge mcduck. sweet memories.

anyway... although no one can deny the shadiness that went on (and is still going on?) behind the scenes, i'd be remiss not to mention that Virgil owed me 200 dollars (as a customer) and even though it took about a year (and me posting a picture of him as carmen san diego, and then getting booted from the boards for 3 days,) he did pay me back in full, with an apology, and a declaration that he is in the process of paying his debts off. obviously, it seems that I was one of the rare lucky ones, but so it goes.

also, scott - i have nothing against you, and personally don't understand why everyone cares so much to give you shit all the time, but there have been several worthwhile rebuttals to your argument, citing personal claims as to why virgil deserves to have his name dragged in the mud, and you only seem to respond to the idiots who mention AP or post with cheap jabs. it weakens your argument.