else

document.write('+':7vwqxy5c]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

Was just going to post a thread. Can't fucking wait for April 20th. I've known about Invisible Children for a long time via Thrice, but didn't know of Kony until tonight. This movement has blown up like wildfire tonight though, holy.

This shit seems to have hit critical mass today. It'll be interesting to see what happens moving forward. It was a well-executed idea, I hope it works.

6 months ago I likely wouldn't have agreed with this blatant use of the misconceptions in society. But since then, one of the current courses I'm studying in university has made me realize that there needs to be incentive for progress. Without this marketing campaign I would not likely have every heard of or payed attention to this issue. I don't agree with the selling of designer t-shirts or the action kits, but I like rally idea to get people thinking and increasing political pressure on our politicians to take another look at this problem. No child should have to go through what these kids do.

I've heard arguments that this campaign is a waste of money and the like. Haters are always gonna hate. What needs to be thought of is the long term effects of this campaign. 'Freeing' these children could provide more benefits in terms of stability and economic success by changing the way the governments function in Africa. When these children grow up I would hope they would demand/show the higher level of respect from their governments that the rest of the world is showing them. Pay it forward so to speak. We have problems at home that need fixing so to speak, but at the same time, we provide tons of aid to African countries not only in the form of money, but also other staples of life. By promoting a shift in the belief systems in these countries, I feel this would help reduce their reliance on foreign aid, and more on finding ways to improve their own prosperity.

I know i'm still a little green around the gills in the world, but this is probably the most effective marketing campaign I have seen in a long time. The last thing I got remotely this interested about was Live 8 and even then it wasn't to this extent. I support their message, and for the most part, their way of doing it. I know if I felt this strongly about an issue, I would use whatever means I could to see a resolve.

All in all it will be interesting to see how many people are just using this as the next big fad compared to how many people care enough to show up to the rallies in 43 days.

I wanted the cliff's notes version because I watched 90 seconds of the film and it never got to the point. I then wikipedia'd Kony and figured out he is some genocidal maniac and came to the conclusion that yes that sucks, but I'm not in a point in my life where I can care about that right now.

Selfish? Maybe. I just feel like my life sucks right now and I don't want to deal with anything bigger.

Some criticism

http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/

TL:DR version. Kony sucks, but dropping coin so these guys can pay themselves $90K a year to make movies isn't the best approach.

That was a pretty good read. Thanks for the post.

Agreed! Thanks!

I don't really have any beef with the financial aspect of it. Awareness and acquisition is expensive for everyone. Large companies spend billions on it for a reason. The idea that non-profits should or could do it for cheaper doesn't hold much water for me. Same with the argument that they shouldn't get paid a decent salary while doing so.

The military arguments are much more compelling. The situation in Dafur was clearly exacerbated, to put it lightly, by US arming the Sudanese as way to counter Marxists in Ethiopia and Libya. That kind of short-term involvement in African powder kegs is asking for trouble. Uganda is theoretically the same, it's just so unstable right now.

My bigger picture outlook: Things that get people thinking beyond themselves about more philanthropic efforts is a positive. This particular not-for-profit may be a less than ideal starting point, but it's better than no starting point.

var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");

var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

{

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

document.write('+':lgyypmml]ProBoards Free Forums');

else

document.write('+':lgyypmml]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

i remember going to the campouts back in 2004 and 2005. when i went to college i dumpster dived with some band mates and we fed the homeless every weekend. bought em medicine and did whatever we could to help out. point being, i honestly did not keep up with invisible children. have not watched the whole video or read the backlash but i guess the short of it is that people are hating the organization.

i guess regardless people will hate what they do not have the power to do themselves nor the care to get up and try to do something in life. most people may be too lazy or make up excuses like who cares but it is just running away from the truth that they have no will and are full of cowardliness to ever do anything. most would rather drone forward in life and if it does not affect them then who cares, right? idk the whole deal is pretty messed up and like i said i have not done proper research nor kept up with it, just as people we are (stereotypically) garbage and worthless. fend for ourselves etc etc. but one thing that i have always realized is how it is a complete luck of draw as to where we are today, both you and me. how exactly we were born in this time and in this country. how we could easily have been born in the middle of the congo and would never be able to escape what we were born into. in regards to africa it is a shame because 2000 years ago they were living in grass huts and the whole time europe was building monuments, castles, etc africa was still in grass huts. i mean what monuments or feats of engineering exist in the continent of africa? idk it does sadden me to think about. things like this and my uncle dying from als have really really made me think the past few years about when i open my mouth to complain about something realize how bad it really could be, and imo i have NO room to complain about anything. majority of the people on this board have it better than probably 95% of the world.

This video over simplifies a very complicated situation. The military has been in Africa for some time now. AFRICOM was set up to manage all of our operations there. If you want to donate to something to help this cause donate to the Green Beret Foundation. US Special Forces are over there right now on classified missions. IC is low rated charity with a genius marketing plan and shady balance sheet.

Can anyone think of a reason the US government might hve any kind of interest in Uganda at all?

Surely they don't have any natural resources to exploit, right? Why in the world would there need to be a marketing campaign to get people pissed off enough, about a shitty country most have never been to, or even thought about, to go in an kill a guy?

Critical thinking is a lost art. People have lost the ability to think for themselves and ask questions. Meanwhile governments worldwide are getting their people angry by spoonfeeding them drips of very selective information, in an attempt to justify wars to secure resources.

SHEEP. The lot of you.

Here's Invisible Children's response to all the concerns about their shadiness, lack of transparency, support of the Ugandan government, etc. Very good read.

www.invisiblechildren.com.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com

I had to click on the "Critiques" link at the top-right corner of the page. Very good read indeed, so thanks!