Tom Gabel Sex Change...

When Keith Caputo of Life of Agony came out that he was transitioning to Mina she got a ton of shit. I'm hoping the punk world will be more open minded than the metal scene.

Actually, the metal world has been cool with gay/transgenders for awhile, the guy from Cretin came out and started living life as a woman a few years ago, and i havent heard anything but respect for her.

When Keith Caputo of Life of Agony came out that he was transitioning to Mina she got a ton of shit. I'm hoping the punk world will be more open minded than the metal scene.

Actually, the metal world has been cool with gay/transgenders for awhile, the guy from Cretin came out started living life as a woman last year, and i havent anything but respect for her.

I'm referring to the first week or so out. What I read and heard was largely brutal. Glad to hear that time has proven that this can be positive.

And just to put this in before any flaming...some people may be surprised or confused which isn't necessarily negative. Some people just genuinely may be surprised...as I was. I didn't lose or gain any respect for him either but its best for everyone to be comfortable with themselves in whatever decision they make.

And just to put this in before any flaming...some people may be surprised or confused which isn't necessarily negative. Some people just genuinely may be surprised...as I was. I didn't lose or gain any respect for him either but its best for everyone to be comfortable with themselves in whatever decision they make.

Yes.

One of the most surprising things I've ever read. The transgender thing is beyond me. It's something I just don't understand...and I'm not sure you really can unless you're going through it. BUT with that said, I pledge my full support. I hope she and her family are happy and that there isn't too much backlash from coming out this way. Not sure what this will mean for the band's music, but I'll check it out.

Also, gotta say I'm impressed by the comments on Punknews, overall. One of the first things I thought was, "Oh no...Punknews readers are going to have a field day with this one." There's only been 2 complete douchebags so far, though, and they're taken down real quick by a bunch of people telling said person to die, so that's cool.

wtf im supposed to see against me this summer.. does he keep the voice? the hormones are going to fuck him up.

this is just too weird for me.

The hormones don't alter the voice. It'd be a lot easier for trans people to get by in the world if they did. no, it takes a lot of vocal training, and sometimes surgery (to merely raise the low end of the vocal chords, not necessarily create a feminine tone in your range).

This does raise the question of what is going to happen with the opening spot on the tour AM! is doing with The Cult, but I wasn't going to that anyway because of the venue in Chicago. I'd love to see her just come out and do their set like they'd always do it, 'cause honestly, that'd be the most punk thing AM! could do.

i knew you kinda had to work at it but i was sure the hormones had something to do with it. i have transgenders in my surrounding but its somewhat taboo with one and the other is a nutjob who had a silly voice to begin with.

one can hope, but unfortunately not - see below...

wtf im supposed to see against me this summer.. does he keep the voice? the hormones are going to fuck him up.

this is just too weird for me.

because when it comes to the lives of folks, external factors such as what you just outlined are what trump them feeling whole and content with themselves. ::)

im glad i make you feel like a better open minded person. Seriously don't act so superior. im not throwing my records away or saying i will stop supporting him her or the band. I did no fully express my opinion and whatever side it may be on, i can think whatever i want without having to be talked down like an ignorant bigot. Im not saying im against it but if i was id be entitled to my opinion anyway the same way someone can live his/her life the way he-she wants.

Guest jamiesunday
Didn't see this one coming but I hope he finds peace now.

Definitely this. I actually really really dislike Against Me! as a band, but I have a newfound respect for Laura because of this. Would be amazingly hard to do, especially coming out publically like that.

Agreed. Good for her.

The hormones don't alter the voice. It'd be a lot easier for trans people to get by in the world if they did. no, it takes a lot of vocal training, and sometimes surgery (to merely raise the low end of the vocal chords, not necessarily create a feminine tone in your range).

This does raise the question of what is going to happen with the opening spot on the tour AM! is doing with The Cult, but I wasn't going to that anyway because of the venue in Chicago. I'd love to see her just come out and do their set like they'd always do it, 'cause honestly, that'd be the most punk thing AM! could do.

i knew you kinda had to work at it but i was sure the hormones had something to do with it. i have transgenders in my surrounding but its somewhat taboo with one and the other is a nutjob who had a silly voice to begin with.

because when it comes to the lives of folks, external factors such as what you just outlined are what trump them feeling whole and content with themselves. ::)

im glad i make you feel like a better open minded person. Seriously don't act so superior. im not throwing my records away or saying i will stop supporting him her or the band. I did no fully express my opinion and whatever side it may be on, i can think whatever i want without having to be talked down like an ignorant bigot. Im not saying im against it but if i was id be entitled to my opinion anyway the same way someone can live his/her life the way he-she wants.

saying "this is just too weird for me" doesn't sound off to you? However weird it may be to *you* is irrelevant. I don't have a superiority complex about the matter - well, not unless you count that *I* don't find it weird, but hey, maybe that's because I have good friends who have made the transition and I've seen - though have not felt fully since I simply identify as gender queer - what they've gone through. Also of note is yr usage of him/her instead of the simple preferred her which speaks volumes of how truly weird you find it.

Spin it however you want, but yr initial comments came off as selfish and slanted to a side that you attempted to debunk after making out like I was 'talking down' on you.

Reinventing Tom Gabel

OR

As the Eternal Cowgirl

You decide VC...either way, good for her. Dude who was concerned about seeing the band and her voice is an ass.

Reinventing Tom Gabel

OR

As the Eternal Cowgirl

You decide VC...either way, good for her. Dude who was concerned about seeing the band and her voice is an ass.

i felt like it was a legitimate concern and it really was the first thing that came to my mind. ive never seen them, there was always something in the way and was and still am excited to see them. what if you were a metallica fan and you learned someone else was singing before going to finally see them? i know its not exactly the same deal but still, it sucks. it does (and yes i will ll admit it) sound selfish the way is said it or that it was my initial concern as Kriss pointed out but honestly i dont care what i see on stage, i want the voice ive been listening to all this time.

anyway, ill stop here because nothing good comes out of this flaming shit. im just glad i collect records and not good relations.

Actually, the metal world has been cool with gay/transgenders for awhile, the guy from Cretin came out and started living life as a woman a few years ago, and i havent heard anything but respect for her.

Iron Maiden, Judas Priest...