Breaking Bad Season 5

well, shit.

what a great show tho.

it got me addicted, and now i'm left without a fix.

thats a good point. maybe they team up. Given Hank's personality and vendetta against Heisenberg it is fairly far-fetched, but a DEA agent selling meth isn't any crazier than a high school teacher doing it.

Maybe showing cash mountain was part of the set-up. Maybe Walt bribes Hank? SO many ways it could go, and even if I guessed 100 of them I probably wouldn't get it right.

didn't most of 'cash mountain' go to jesse?

he requested 5 million if i remember correctly.

I'm guessing there's wayyy more than 5 million in that pile. Plus keep in mind Walter probably took Mike's 5 million from his car after he shot him and just given that to Jesse. Don't think he would've let that go to waste

I think the cash pile might even come into play with the whole Walt/Hank predicament...

Finally caught up.

Hank is a very proud man and Walt turned him into a chump - no way he lets it go. He won't come straight out and confront Walt but he is going after him. All the dreams of team ups are just that, it wouldn't fit with Hank's character. What a miserable place to leave me for a year as a fan.

I don't think Hank really 'knows' anything. He will more than likely prod the situation and try and get Walt to slip up somehow. I'm more concerned about Todd and Lydia (I actually thought she'd become a romantic interest for Walt) because they know so much and probably like the cash they're making. It's obvious that Todd doesn't give a fuck and Lydia will do anything to survive. This break is gonna suck.

That was definitely an "oh shit I just put everything together" look on Hank's face. Sometimes show will use that as a cliffhanger but then take 2 steps back from it at the start of the next episode. Doesn't break the continuity enough for anyone to notice.

My guess is cash mountain is over $100 mil, which in reality is probably ridiculous but if $5 mil fits in a duffle bag, I think they had 20 duffle bags.

That was definitely an "oh shit I just put everything together" look on Hank's face. Sometimes show will use that as a cliffhanger but then take 2 steps back from it at the start of the next episode. Doesn't break the continuity enough for anyone to notice.

My guess is cash mountain is over $100 mil, which in reality is probably ridiculous but if $5 mil fits in a duffle bag, I think they had 20 duffle bags.

he left jesse 3 duffle bags.

• 1 month later...

http://www.savewalterwhite.com/

sooo this is actually a website. awesome.

also- it's impossible to read this without doing it in a Walt Jr. voice

For a second I thought this was going to link to some dudes paypal account. That actually would have been a pretty crafty idea. But I thought wrong.

For a second I thought this was going to link to some dudes paypal account. That actually would have been a pretty crafty idea. But I thought wrong.

same.

quote from my friend (he was totally joking): "Dude, I was totally going to donate to that Paypal for Walt until I realized the money went to actual cancer patients."

Fuck, the final season ending in 2013 was already shitty enough. I'm sorry but the fucking book?! That's how, after all the shit storms, Walt is supposed to fucking get caught?!?!? Christ I'm surprised the fly didn't come back and open up the book for Hank. This is the first time I've said this about the show, but what a bad plot point. Still think the show is great and will obviously still watch it but come on, this sucks.

Fuck, the final season ending in 2013 was already shitty enough. I'm sorry but the fucking book?! That's how, after all the shit storms, Walt is supposed to fucking get caught?!?!? Christ I'm surprised the fly didn't come back and open up the book for Hank. This is the first time I've said this about the show, but what a bad plot point. Still think the show is great and will obviously still watch it but come on, this sucks.

It ended on that note. You have absolutely no idea what's going to come of it.

I don't normally say this, but what a dumb opinion.

Why is it a dumb opinion? The show is good because the acting, the plot lines, the writing are all top notch. You don't feel at all as though, while watching this say mid season 4, if I told you THIS was how Walt potentially gets caught you wouldn't be at least a bit let down?

Why is it a dumb opinion? The show is good because the acting, the plot lines, the writing are all top notch. You don't feel at all as though, while watching this say mid season 4, if I told you THIS was how Walt potentially gets caught you wouldn't be at least a bit let down?

It's exactly what you said, potentially. Maybe the look on was his face was because he was having a huge dump? You'll have to wait and see what happens. I have no problem with how the first half ended and I'm really looking forward to what happens from here.

This show is soooo good that people expect it to just continue to blow you away in every episode.

The first half was fine. Not the best run for them but still some of the best stuff on TV. I don't see a need to nitpick it before the season is even over. It's not like it had a precipitous dropoff like The Office or Weeds or a number of other shows that just fell off a cliff in their later seasons.

okay, so that was a super dickish post I made, sorry.

To each their own, really, but I think that it was a completely brilliant way to end this half. Breaking Bad is a show that is pretty much the opposite of "epic" - it presents everything in a very deconstructed way. Things sort of unfold slowly, and the devil is always in the details. Almost all of the exposition occurs in the slower moments that string together the big set pieces and the explosive parts. To me, it was always a given that the whole thing would unravel from one little missed detail that Hank would pick and scratch at until the floodgates open. Same as one little cigarette butt with lipstick on it would lead to one of the more emotionally bracing flashbacks. Same as some of the most intense and cathartic moments of the show aren't ones where people are getting shot or run over or blown up - they're moments of revelation and pathos (see: Jesse calling Jane's voicemail, "I am the one who knocks," "No more half-measures, Walter").

So there are basically two ways to go out - to try and top cliffhangers and massive set pieces, or to light the single spark that will start a raging fire. I don't think it would have been wise to try and top the intensity of the season 4/5 break. Instead, they took Hank, a man who nearly destroyed himself physically and mentally and certainly career-wise trying to catch his white whale, and blew up all of his near-misses and oh-so-close calls altogether. It wasn't from chasing the RV down from an ATM photo or acting on any serious hunch. It was a total accident during one of life's most mundane moments. A total left-turn from anything anybody would have expected, a call-back to a scene people may have forgotten, and bringing full-circle the consequences of one of the most unforgivable things that Walt and Jesse "had no choice but to do" in the interest of their own self-preservation. The icing on the cake is that the audience is allowed to see this revelatory moment through Hank's eyes.

If I was going to pick a bit of iffy writing, it would be that Walt just HAPPENS to be in the office when Steve Gomez tells Hank that they're bringing the hammer down on Mike Ehrmantraut. But that's just one thin part in a show that has had some of the most consistently top-notch writing that I have ever seen.

But yeah, to each their own. The part of me that is hyper-critical and loves to pick apart writing and read between the lines loves the shit out of it.

• 8 months later...