PO: Circa Survive - Violent Waves

quick math would suggest this includes more preorders than the 750 and 250. i've been billed for mine already. perhaps they will add more. i am not on this list. there are 13 anonymous...so who knows. i see a person listed on the list twice as well.

i didn't even get an option to add a comment, either.

no biggie. would be cool to get a shout out though.

In the most respectful way possible I really want to understand:

What makes a brand new record worth $250 - $750 to you? At that price, will you actually play it or is it just a collectible?

I promise I'm not out to make fun of anyone, I will mock no responses. I really just want to understand. I've been collecting for a long time and have never approached paying close to that. The two times I spent $100 on an item I regretted it instantly and sold them back off to recover cost. To me, at these prices, especially with a band that no longer is compensating a middle man, this simply doesn't make sense. No one has heard the record. I can somewhat understand people that pay $200 for a record that holds mighty levels of nostalgia but this is a new item.

Anyway, I write this with respect, I would like to see a reasonable discussion follow.

Well it seems that the lyric sheet with a personal note about the song, the unique pencil sketch for that song choice, and the personal one on one video/call are the only things that the $750 has that the $250 bundle doesn't. So those 3 things are basically valued at 500 dollars. So I assume only the most hardcore Circa fans will get this so they can feel a personal connection with the band.

The $250 bundle itself is just an inflated price for a mostly custom-made package and again I assume 100 hardcore Circa fans bought it so they could have something that was hand-made by the band and have that connection with them. That's just what I think.

I wouldn't spend that much for this stuff, but I spent like 90 bucks for a meet and greet with Say Anything a few months back because I thought it would be awesome to meet and talk to the band for a minute. So it just depends how much you like a band and want that connection I suppose.

I guess I connect more to music than bands. Lot's of albums mean a ton to me but those same bands have released some awful stuff. It strikes me as odd to spend a lot of money on a record you haven't heard and hold no attachment to.

You are essentially pre-ordering nostalgia and meaning.

For me, I dropped the 750 as this is probably one of that last major 'frivilous' things I will ever purchase (except for Cubs season tickets - but that's another conversation). I like so many bands and genres of music, but really have limited time to keep up with all these releases between old and new bands. I've stuck with Circa over the years and felt this would be a great piece to have. Due to life and being 31 years old (grad school, work, etc), I no longer go to a concert a week or go out nearly as much as I used to. I hold no emotional attachment or sit in my room and listen to them thinking that every word that comes out of Anthony's mouth relates to my life somehow. I simply enjoy the band and the music. I support them. I understand that this is a business decision and it was both their decision to put this out and my decision to purchase that package. I have the money and could spend it, so I felt is was justifiable. Do I care about the phone call or video ordeal? Not really - considering I talked with Anthony at length on Friday, but it is what it is. I think it's neat, that is for sure. It's definitely not a bragging piece, as I know about 10 people that even know Circa Survive. I don't regret this at all. It is what it is.

I am sure all who made the purchase, be it the 750 or the single vinyl, justified it for some reason or the other.

Props to JerseyDave for not being a prick and blasting people.

Now, let's find those other 10 people that dropped the 750. :)

No doubt. I had Yankees Season tix for years with my Dad. At the ball park I reconnected with him on a level I never thought possible when I was 18. Shared experiences are pretty valuable.

Anyway, I don't have to understand it fully. It isn't for me and that doesn't mean I hold a moral authority to judge your purchase. I am in a similar spot in life where I have more expendable income due to a lesser social life and increased income - if you connect with this band in a way that spending $750 makes sense then I can understand that.

Do I care about the phone call or video ordeal? Not really - considering I talked with Anthony at length on Friday, but it is what it is. I think it's neat, that is for sure.

I was thinking about this yesterday the astronomical amount of people they've met that must be so rewarding itself to be able to have conversation with so many people every day. I suppose the fan boy talk, and repetitive questions must seem endless but hopefully the interesting outweighs the trite.

In the most respectful way possible I really want to understand:

What makes a brand new record worth $250 - $750 to you? At that price, will you actually play it or is it just a collectible?

I promise I'm not out to make fun of anyone, I will mock no responses. I really just want to understand. I've been collecting for a long time and have never approached paying close to that. The two times I spent $100 on an item I regretted it instantly and sold them back off to recover cost. To me, at these prices, especially with a band that no longer is compensating a middle man, this simply doesn't make sense. No one has heard the record. I can somewhat understand people that pay $200 for a record that holds mighty levels of nostalgia but this is a new item.

Anyway, I write this with respect, I would like to see a reasonable discussion follow.

I can't lie yes I think the prices for both higher end packages are a tad superfluous however to me circa is one of the bands that have held their longevity thus far.And while I didn't order either of the packages if I did i would have confidence that the band would put something out of quality.

Although i don't like to admit it essentially what you said pre-ordering nostalgia is ultimately the truth. as stated before when you figure in manufacturing costs for the two big packages, time invested and split that among members it's a poverty level yearly wage. I don't mind supporting a band that to me is highly greatfull for their position in music right now especially with wives & children in the picture now. Hell there are copious amounts of soulless rappers out there that will make more in one show than all of the band will collectively in a year. so i guess in short it's their sincerity that i can overlook the overpriced packages.

Yeah - I read circa board occasionally and sifted through. I have seen 2 on that board, 1 via twitter (which I feel that would be a person on the circa board based on how obsessed they are) and myself. So 3, maybe 4.

Best statement on that board...

'I realize you're getting some pretty cool stuff but holy shit, their fan base is primarily underaged kids. They don't make that kind of money and their parents will not pay for it. I took the $85 deal and I am 22 with a full time job and a 401K and no bills to pay.'

:rolleyes:

i almost bought a $250 package but afer seeing the painting video, i passed. if they were painted by the artist " esao andrews" i would be all in but they were painted by the band. not for me but super congrats to everyone that scored! IMO. i would love to have something painted by the deftones though haha