Thursday - War All the Time 2xLP Hot Topic exclusive

Funny cause this was pressed at the same plant in the exact same way as ACBtLD and everyone said that one sounded great.

to be fair there were far, far more people who exclaimed "this looks great! best looking vinyl i own!" than "this sounds good." what are the odds the people who exclaimed "this looks great! best looking vinyl i own!" actually listened to the record before hanging it on their wall.

Funny cause this was pressed at the same plant in the exact same way as ACBtLD and everyone said that one sounded great.

ACBTLD sounded pretty terrible on cd so the vinyl would have most likely either been a lateral movement or an improvement in terms of sound. i bought ACBTLD on vinyl and think it sounds better. WATT didnt have this problem.

to be fair there were far, far more people who exclaimed "this looks great! best looking vinyl i own!" than "this sounds good." what are the odds the people who exclaimed "this looks great! best looking vinyl i own!" actually listened to the record before hanging it on their wall.

This is just making assumptions for the sake of shit-talking.

ACBTLD sounded pretty terrible on cd so the vinyl would have most likely either been a lateral movement or an improvement in terms of sound. i bought ACBTLD on vinyl and think it sounds better. WATT didnt have this problem.

Both Thrice LPs, all the Blink LPs....all the Universal HT exclusives were presseda at the same plant the sam way as WATT.

Not saying thats going to make them all sound identical but they were all done the same way by the same people.

look, i wont be buying the WATT repress because i still own a first press and i cant comment on the B182 records either because i didnt buy those. im not saying any of those records sound bad because i dont know if they do or not. the thrice records are fine by me (though id say TAIA sounds a little "tinny" by comparison to the original press). im simply pointing out that most people disliked the way ACBTLD was produced, so expectations were likely much lower (and as a result the end product was a pleasant surprise).

id also say its realistic to assume that we all own various records manufactured by the same people and some sound great, some sound ok and some sound like shit.

haven't picked up the reissue and i'm not sure i will. all i know is the original pressing sounds really good and the city by the light divided sounded better than the cd. the rawness translated better to vinyl than to cd, and i'm sure it's the same master. they probably used the war all the time cd master for this reissue which sounds really good on cd and did not translate well to vinyl. it happens all the time.

Both Thrice LPs, all the Blink LPs....all the Universal HT exclusives were presseda at the same plant the sam way as WATT.

Not saying thats going to make them all sound identical but they were all done the same way by the same people.

I bought most of those represses and agree they all sound great, that's why I was so shocked at how this record turned out. I'll be glad to post sample recordings of the the first pressings versus the second.

• 2 weeks later...

I still haven't bought this reissue as I have an OG press which sounds vastly superior to the CD. I'm more than a little suspicious about the source material on this new pressing... seeing as it includes a never-released on LP/7" track. My concern as an audiophile is that this a 16-bit sourced recording... which really defeats the whole purpose for me. I've never got a definitive answer about these hot-topic re-issues... to me remastering for "vinyl" is important. Getting rid of that overblown, flat sound found on many CDs is key to the listening experience.

That said, I pulled out my HT reissue of Vheissu, seems noticeably better than the CD.

I encourage record labels to quit being lazy. If you want physical or digital music sales... quit adhering to a 33 year old digital standard.