Record Collectors Are Indeed Pretentious Assholes!

jhulud

Sure, that kid sounds a little naive and his story was convoluted and could have been summed up in a paragraph but I will say this out of honesty... If you're coming on here to make friends you will have to wade through the pretentiousness and the inside banter... There will be 18 yr olds ready to hurl Wikipedia minutia at you any chance they have. If you get the numbers wrong or god forbid you spell something incorrectly someone will do their best to cut you down, but this is with any message board. If you're coming on here for information you will probably get what you need fairly quickly.

I have to admit that when I see people talk about how they are going to buy all the different colored pressings for a single album or that they will drop hundreds of dollars from some special Japanese promo album that they are only going to catalog away only to show others on a blue moon it does kinda annoy me because records were created to be listened to. But at the end of the day it isnt my money so those people can do with it what they want to and it really wont matter to me. On the other hand we have a fellow from r/vinyl whose main crime seems to be that he opens his mouth and talks too much and a shop owner who seems to be a bit immature (after all he should have been mad at the guy who made the deal and didnt fallow through). Lets consider what makes up the reddit vinyl community, it seems like mostly new kids who are in their teens or just went off to college, check out my first (turntable, set up, record...etc) posts, calling 5 thrift store albums a "haul", "Holy Grails" and "White Whales" found every day, wall displays to make sure everyone who visits them *knows* they collect vinyl, and saying...... vinyl's (seems like the word filter wont let me say that straight). I admit that I usually check into r/vinyl once a day just to check out what is going on, but its not exactly the sort of place that you want to go to for informed discussion on the hobby. This guy sounds like your typical redditor kid, you know who during his 6 months collecting went through a "dance music phase"

People bitching about collectors on the vinyl COLLECTIVE forum... Let it soak in.

Do people really waste their time worrying about what other people buy and if they really play it?

Pretentious vinyl collectors have been around forever. Now the internet gives them all a place to show it and labels a way to exploit it.

And it's already been said, but vinyl is no different than collecting toys, video games, salt shakers, cars, etc... You'll find the same type of collectors in every community.

Wah.

I would like to read a forum of pretentious salt shaker collectors!

a lot of record collectors are dicks, but it's probably just people in general. my buddy got bitched at by this guy at waterloo in austin for looking at records in the shelves right next to him. he had just seen a record he wanted on the front and grabbed it to look at it. the guy turned around and started going off about how he had no respect, and there's the whole rest of the store to look at, and he shouldn't be crowding up on him, etc. it was ridiculous.

Just because people have money to drop doesn't mean they are pretentious. If you have the money to spend (or even if you don't), buy a record, that's your choice.

What makes me sick is the idea of using a tangible media format, e.g. a record, to try to impress people. It seems to me that some people get into record collecting for this reason.Then they realize they can't afford to keep up and begin to bitch about how shitty record collectors are.

a lot of record collectors are dicks, but it's probably just people in general. my buddy got bitched at by this guy at waterloo in austin for looking at records in the shelves right next to him. he had just seen a record he wanted on the front and grabbed it to look at it. the guy turned around and started going off about how he had no respect, and there's the whole rest of the store to look at, and he shouldn't be crowding up on him, etc. it was ridiculous.

i wonder how that guy handles grocery stores and stuff. sheesh

Although I probably wouldn't have said anything, your friend clearly has no record store etiquette and that dude was right to let him know. He's certainly not the asshole in that situation.

Although I probably wouldn't have said anything, your friend clearly has no record store etiquette and that dude was right to let him know. He's certainly not the asshole in that situation.

i would understand if he was trying to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with this guy and dig through the shelf next to him, but to just say "excuse me" and take the record off the front, i didn't think it was that big of a deal. and then he started going off about it and my friend said "sorry" and he just kept going. i think some people just take things a little too seriously. i mean i'm in a pretty chill mood if i'm browsing records. i'm also a much quicker browser than a lot of people--i see people all the time (like this guy) who it seems like pull out every single record to look at the front and back. i usually just flip-flip-flip-flip through everything until something catches my eye.

Wait, so proper "record store etiquette" includes giving a person ownership of all the rows surrounding him? That's ridiculous. If I want to browse a row someone is not currently looking through I'm going to. God forbid a person stands next to you in a store.