Fall Out Boy - From Under the Cork Tree 2xLP Hot Topic exclusive

travis

Is it time for my annual tale of dating the girl from Hot Topic back in 1996? How one day she was a punk and literally a week later she only wore Lip Service vinyl products and was a goth? How this was exciting for a couple days? How every time the trend at HT changed she did too? Maybe if they had sold vinyl then I would have stuck out the relationship for the employee discount for a little while but Miss Presto Chango was so damn lame it hurts to remember having to break up with her. She made it easier when she told her parents a few months later that a friend of mine gave her AIDs. She never had the disease - I mean, what kind of crazy do you need to be to tell your parents that horrific lie? Seriously. 

Anyway, for years the memory of Miss Presto Chango,her incredible bullshit and the ever changing fads made me hate HT. My love of vinyl and their awesome sales/shipping brought me back. 

Oh, btw it was very controversial among my peers to date an HT employee since it was seen as an affront to the subculture. And while she was bat shit crazy she was really cute and for a homely dude like me that made the constant jokes easier to endure. 

Dave you seem very retrospective lately

Dave you seem very retrospective lately

I'm 35 with a kid, a serious career, and am still recovering a bit from my crazy run a couple months back - it's gonna happen. Seriously, I feel gutsy walking into an HT at my age - well I see older men and women in there sometimes but they are almost always in sweatpants and fanny pack. That place attracts a crazy crowd.

Everytime I see older dudes in HT they have their sweat pants above and beyond their belly buttons :D So just think, you are not one of those dudes! (are you?)

Sometimes I wish I could let go and not care about my appearance but I do on some level, so no. I like knowing that the old-dude-in-sweatpants exists at more than the NJ Hot Topic locations. I bet it's a national trend. I still see Heavy Metal Harvey at the local HT - he was 40 when I was in High School and he'd always wear White Zombie shirts and buy us booze and passes to R rated films. That makes him almost 60 and still shopping at HT. There is hope for us all yet. 

Everytime I see older dudes in HT they have their sweat pants above and beyond their belly buttons :D So just think, you are not one of those dudes! (are you?)

This is totally me! Not "old" but I definitely wear sweatpants everyday. And I'm short, so I have to pull them up in the winter so they don't get wet from the snow.

Is it time for my annual tale of dating the girl from Hot Topic back in 1996? How one day she was a punk and literally a week later she only wore Lip Service vinyl products and was a goth? How this was exciting for a couple days? How every time the trend at HT changed she did too? Maybe if they had sold vinyl then I would have stuck out the relationship for the employee discount for a little while but Miss Presto Chango was so damn lame it hurts to remember having to break up with her. She made it easier when she told her parents a few months later that a friend of mine gave her AIDs. She never had the disease - I mean, what kind of crazy do you need to be to tell your parents that horrific lie? Seriously. 

Anyway, for years the memory of Miss Presto Chango,her incredible bullshit and the ever changing fads made me hate HT. My love of vinyl and their awesome sales/shipping brought me back. 

Got any old photos of her????

Sometimes I wish I could let go and not care about my appearance but I do on some level, so no. I like knowing that the old-dude-in-sweatpants exists at more than the NJ Hot Topic locations. I bet it's a national trend. I still see Heavy Metal Harvey at the local HT - he was 40 when I was in High School and he'd always wear White Zombie shirts and buy us booze and passes to R rated films. That makes him almost 60 and still shopping at HT. There is hope for us all yet. 

True punx nvr die!

This is totally me! Not "old" but I definitely wear sweatpants everyday. And I'm short, so I have to pull them up in the winter so they don't get wet from the snow.

Not sure if this is a joke but I bought the first pair of sweatpants of my adult life 2 days ago at Target. Wore them for two straight days. And the night in between. 

Self worth goes down but comfort goes up.