Finch - What It Is To Burn 2xLP Hot Topic exclusives

travis

Guest johneedeformed

@ Johneedeformed: unless I've misread, a few pages back you claimed that you'd be buying multiple copies of this release.  [And then proceeded to defend the idea of your purchase, claiming that it's your right as a collector.]  I don't agree with either notion, personally.  I have a handful of variants for a few artists and albums myself, but what I do not have are duplicates of the same exact variant.  Are you with me so far?  If you owned a copy of each What It Is To Burn variant leading up to this press - and then purchased one [1] copy of this latest Hot Topic press - and future presses from here on out... then, yeah; you're clearly passionate about keeping a WIITB.  And there's nothing wrong with that in the slightest.  I wanted to clarify that I have no issue with that.  I draw the line at grabbing multiple copies of one release / variant, and intentionally keeping them in their shrink-wrap for safekeep.  That doesn't make anyone a "fan of the band" -- it is outright hoarding.

I make assumptions based off your attitude.  Just because I have more posts than you, it doesn't make me an elitist.  I just have zero tolerance for anyone who "clears out" a Hot Topic for the sake of making a quick buck (Lazy Lab) or [possibly worse yet?] holding onto a handful of copies for the sake of it.  If a "VC Legend" admitted to doing so, I'd probably call them out on it as well.  I have no bias towards hoarders or flippers: they all suck equally, in my books.

Btw, my "attitude" has a slight angry tone because my first post was venting about an issue that I am not going to bring up again as that horse has been beaten to death. Then someone made a false accusation and it spiraled to hell and back from there. I'm not coming in here trying to stir the pot. if someone misquotes or misinterprets me I'm gonna correct it, it's not a big deal but some guys wanna bully and harass me for having a low post count and it's asinine.

I'm trying to collect everything I used to own on CD back in the day so I understand teh feeling. I've ordered mroe than few that will maybe be listened to once and then sit in my collection looking purty.

This is probably the culprit.  I understand that you meant to refer to albums in general - and not just this press of WIITB - but it took you too many responses to clarify that.

This post makes me weep on the inside.

Then cry yourself an internal river because there are plenty of collectors who collect for purposes other than listening such as artwork or nostalgia.

But looking back on it, the actual post and idea of shelving additional copies "just because" is pretty lulzy, too. You kids these days.

It's called "collecting." It's not a new concept.

Sorry that I don't have 1,000+ posts but it will get there eventually at the rate everyone keeps whining. This board could do without all the assumptions and bullying.

Post count has nothing to do with it. You are being annoying and derailing a thread (borderline trolling) an it would be great if you could stop.

Guest johneedeformed

This is probably the culprit.  I understand that you meant to refer to albums in general - and not just this press of WIITB - but it took you too many responses to clarify that.

Why would I have to clarify. I originally said: "I'm trying to collect everything I used to own on CD back in the day so I understand teh feeling. I've ordered mroe than few that will maybe be listened to once and then sit in my collection looking purty. Frogstomp, for example. "

You misinterpret what I said and ran with it... NOW you look back and realize YOUR mistake. How is that my fault? The sentence makes perfect sense in the context of my post. The second sentence is complementary to the first one, which is why it's part of the same paragraph. Crazy concept, I know!

Guest johneedeformed

Post count has nothing to do with it. You are being annoying and derailing a thread (borderline trolling) an it would be great if you could stop.

I'm just responding to what is said towards me. If that makes me guilty of "derailing" then so be it, but at least acknowledge the other participant's involvement. You have veteran members calling me an "ignorant asshole" and telling me to "fuck off" and somehow I'M the problem?... 

I'm just responding to what is said towards me. If that makes me guilty of "derailing" then so be it, but at least acknowledge the other participant's involvement. You have veteran members calling me an "ignorant asshole" and telling me to "fuck off" and somehow I'M the problem?...

My bad. You are "a" problem, not "the" problem. Better?

Why would I have to clarify. I originally said: "I'm trying to collect everything I used to own on CD back in the day so I understand teh feeling. I've ordered mroe than few that will maybe be listened to once and then sit in my collection looking purty. Frogstomp, for example. "

Well.  I know that I'd personally clarify - immediately - if someone was accusing me of hoarding multiple copies of a record.  But you and I are clearly different people.  So.

I will man up and apologize for misreading the initial post.  It's still my opinion that you should've thwarted any accusations, though.  Responding with "collectors buy what they want" and "it's called collecting: it's nothing new" doesn't exactly help your case.

Also, for what it's worth, post counts mean dick to me.  The boards wouldn't change at all - unless, perhaps, for the better - if everyone's was hidden.  Please don't assume I'm bullying anyone or strutting a superiority complex because I have extra digits in my Post: field.  Because that is an assumption in itself.

I thought you agreed to drop it dude. Just let it go.

back on topic: its back up.

This.

Gonna be honest and say I have never actually listened to this band but with the massive hard on everyone has for them I picked this up to give it a listen. the free shipping plus bogo was a good opportunity to do so and I was able to get Lusitania finally. Been waiting for just the right sale and finally found it.

Gonna be honest and say I have never actually listened to this band but with the massive hard on everyone has for them I picked this up to give it a listen. the free shipping plus bogo was a good opportunity to do so and I was able to get Lusitania finally. Been waiting for just the right sale and finally found it.

So you didn't listen at all prior to purchasing?  I don't know your tastes in the slightest, but I'd say it's a fairly entertaining listen.  From a musical standpoint, it's not exactly what I listen to these days.  That is to say... if I downloaded WIITB and listened to it for the first time, today, I doubt I'd be compelled to purchase a copy on vinyl.  Nostalgia wins on this one, for me.  I'm typically rather weary about making purchases based off nostalgia, but I definitely find myself revisiting this record periodically.  Blasting it a few weeks back proved to be quite enjoyable, so I think I'll be biting on this one.

I'd be interested to hear what you think of it when it shows up.

Close enough.

I can say that there is probably a sum total of 5 pages worth of unneeded comments from you. This thread is about a record release and you are acting stupid and basically just want to argue. My money is that you are a new troll, do you know why I say that? Because nothing you have been saying is constructive to getting this release.

I like the way the inside gatefold was done for this. Looks really cool. I don't know if it was brought up yet, but I noticed the absence of the Drive Thru logo on the back from the images on Hot Topic. I know for reasons of ownership the Drive Thru logo has been taken off a few presses from the label. I'm somewhat nostalgia driven with releases like this and I always miss the logo being on the artwork.

I like the way the inside gatefold was done for this. Looks really cool. I don't know if it was brought up yet, but I noticed the absence of the Drive Thru logo on the back from the images on Hot Topic. I know for reasons of ownership the Drive Thru logo has been taken off a few presses from the label. I'm somewhat nostalgia driven with releases like this and I always miss the logo being on the artwork.

Alright, I was out of the loop when drive thru records became shitty. Can someone explain what happened? Or post a link?

Same

So you didn't listen at all prior to purchasing?  I don't know your tastes in the slightest, but I'd say it's a fairly entertaining listen.  From a musical standpoint, it's not exactly what I listen to these days.  That is to say... if I downloaded WIITB and listened to it for the first time, today, I doubt I'd be compelled to purchase a copy on vinyl.  Nostalgia wins on this one, for me.  I'm typically rather weary about making purchases based off nostalgia, but I definitely find myself revisiting this record periodically.  Blasting it a few weeks back proved to be quite enjoyable, so I think I'll be biting on this one.

In a way it's kind of like early Senses Fail. Now I wouldn't really be interested in hearing another band that had the sound of those early albums. At the time they really brought something (albeit slightly different/at least when you think about Drive Thru around that era)...but after a while a ton of bands had the sound of the earlier stuff. I can listen to those early Senses Fail releases for nostalgia and enjoy them. It's just not a sound I'm looking for (or interested in) when I hear new artists these days.

Alright, I was out of the loop when drive thru records became shitty. Can someone explain what happened? Or post a link?

All kinds of crazy stuff. I'm not sure about why their label name is removed. I'm sure it mainly has to do with the larger label owning the actual music (due to their original deal with MCA). To include the Drive Thru logo might mean Drive Thru would get a cut of the vinyl sales...which if they aren't entitled to any money I'm sure Geffen isn't hurting to give them any (that's only an assumption though). I have a great statment saved in a word file made from the Reines as well as one from Midtown about the rocky relationship between those two. I'd be more than happy to PM it to you if you want to read that. Crazy stuff. There is actually some stuff about Finch in the Midtown statement the Reines made.

I'm still putting drive thru as the label on my DF but it does kinda bug me as well.

All kinds of crazy stuff. I'm not sure about why their label name is removed. I'm sure it mainly has to do with the larger label owning the actual music (due to their original deal with MCA). To include the Drive Thru logo might mean Drive Thru would get a cut of the vinyl sales...which if they aren't entitled to any money I'm sure Geffen isn't hurting to give them any (that's only an assumption though). I have a great statment saved in a word file made from the Reines as well as one from Midtown about the rocky relationship between those two. I'd be more than happy to PM it to you if you want to read that. Crazy stuff. There is actually some stuff about Finch in the Midtown statement the Reines made.

Yeah I'd like that. Thanks!

Well I love drive-thru records just never listened to this band (probably heard a song or two from a sampler.  Actually just listened to some songs on youube. Not bad. It will probably be more rewarding to someone who wants to hear it for nostalgia but a new pressing is always a good time to give it a try and I was waiting for a second record that ht had worth it for using bogo to get Lusitania. If I truly ended up not liking it I could easily pass it to someone else on the forums for purchasing price but it seems like as good of time as any considering how well spoken of this band is.