Recently Viewing

Total movie N00b. What are some must sees? I've really just recently started watching stuff so there's very little I've actually seen. Anyone make some recommendations?

Seriously though, I've been a huge film nerd for probably 24 of my 28 years. I can put together a pretty good entry level list with some essentials and maybe some weirder shit.

Not that you shouldn't listen to everyone else. Fight Club is a big enough piece of pop culture that I'd say it's worth watching once.

On my recent Bukowski kick, I checked out the documentary Bukowski: Born into This, which was really good.  Almost immediately after that I watched Factotum, which was also excellent. I have to say, Matt Dillon faithfully captured the character of Bukowski nearly perfectly - his facial expressions, gait, speaking patterns, everything.  I think next I'll have to see Barfly, though I have heard less than stellar reviews about that.

In other news, I checked out the Wet Hot American Summer show that everyone's been recommending.  I loved it, but I noticed that the humor was much more absurdist/surreal than the original film.  Not that that is a bad thing.

Fight Club is garbage. I'll make you a list when I'm less high. Or more high.

If you watch it with a different perspective, you might appreciate it more.

The thing is, all that hypermasculinity is actually a thinly veiled guise for homosexuality.  Watch it with this in mind and you'll notice a huge subtext of homoeroticism that goes throughout.  I find it hilarious that a lot of "dudebros" worship that movie without even realizing this.

Some examples:

When the narrator meets Tyler on the plane (in the book it was actually on a nude beach) he asks him "as I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?"  This establishes the "power dynamic" in between them from their initial encounter.

When the narrator wants to "destroy something beautiful" when he notices Angelface is getting preferential treatment from Tyler.

And the whole idea of a secret club where a bunch of dudes get together in secret and beat the fuck out of each other is just a sybolic representation of underground gay sex.

Chuck Palahniuk is gay and has admitted that this "bro bible" was his attempt to push the limits of conveying homoerotic undertones without dudebros even noticing.  I like it even more because of that.  :lol:

imdb ratings are increasingly garbage, but the top 250 has loads of really great movies. superhero movies get circlejerked hard with high ratings and artsy films get trashed. rotten tomatoes seems more balanced.

for example, thor has better imdb ratings than napoleon dynamite, under the skin, only god forgives, big bad wolves, and upstream color. all of which are better movies than thor.

I've told this story a million times so I've probably told it here, but the only time I ever got detention was senior year when my econ teacher put on Napoleon Dynamite. It was the day before spring break and she was like "Lets just have a fun day! I brought Napoleon Dynamite." I stood up and started to leave and she asked where I was going. I said "I'm going to the library so I can take a nap without having to listen to that insufferable garbage." Then I just left.

This was at the height of its popularity as it had just come out on DVD recently. Everyone thought I was crazy.