Recently Viewing

Watched Room tonight. Holy shit. So sad. So goddamn sad and powerful. If Brie Larson doesn't win at the academy awards I will be pissed, especially if dumb Jennifer Lawrence beats her out for that piece of shit Joy. And the fact that the little kid wasn't nominated is sheer robbery.

Was going to watch the End of the Tour tonight but I can't take any more sadness tonight. Tomorrow it is.

I read this thinking you meant The Room.

Wife was sick the past few days so did some movies and tv shows.

San Andreas: mindless disaster movie. They were extremely lazy with the script.

The visit: i dont like m night really but tried to go in with an open mind. I feel the "twist" was given away with not so subtle hints early on.

Escobar, paradise lost: benicio was good. The rest of the movie was meh. They never explain why the 2nd half of the movie even happens.

Also started jessica jones and liking it in the 4 episodes ive seen.

been on a bit of a documentary kick lately:

virunga - film about the virunga national park in the congo, home to the endangered mountain gorilla, and the conflicts that surround it. informative, sad and heart warming.

shenandoah - small town football, politics and corruption. frustrating how some people were excusing and even justifying what happened.

we are legion and the internets own boy - both by film maker brian knappenberger, about anonymous and aaron swartz respectively

the emperors new clothes - entry level analysis of the financial crisis and inequality. some people hate russell brand but im the opposite.

my personal recent favourite: what happened, miss simone - amazing, what a talent

Watched The Night Before with mediocre expectations, based on my dislike of This is the End; so I wasn't let down by how not funny it was.  There were a few moments that were hilarious enough that made watching this bearable, and I really dig the cast; though not terribly funny overall. 

Star talk on Netflix is pretty fun. It's not something I could binge watch 5 episodes of but NDT has such a lovable personality.

He came to the local science center but had to pass due to $300/ ticket price. Buy two and add a nice dinner and that is one expensive night. I'm sure half (or more) went to the center, though.

Star talk on Netflix is pretty fun. It's not something I could binge watch 5 episodes of but NDT has such a lovable personality.

He came to the local science center but had to pass due to $300/ ticket price. Buy two and add a nice dinner and that is one expensive night. I'm sure half (or more) went to the center, though.

In a couple months he's speaking at the theater I'm drinking across from right now and tickets are a fraction of that. Still too expensive for me though.

I've seen a lot lately,

Just got home from seeing The Witch. I enjoyed it. More detailed thoughts below

I think the marketing for it was very misleading. I've seen many people post along the lines of "It's going to be so scary, I'm afraid to go", it wasn't that. I think a lot of people are going to be anticipating more scares from it, and not enjoy it for what it is. I'm really looking forward to a second viewing of it.

Last night I saw "Tumbledown", highly recommended for anyone who liked "The End of the Tour". It's similar in the sense that a widow and another writer are writing about an artist that died young, a folk musician who put out one "perfect" album that gathered a very loyal following. I didn't know much about it going into it, I watched the trailer and it made it seem like it could be a made for tv movie, but it was great. I'm also a sucker for Rebecca Hall, and Jason Sudeikis was great in it too.

Deadpool was great, I enjoyed Hail, Cesar!, The Boy was ok. Jane Got A Gun was nothing special, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies was surprisingly well acted, which made it ok, The Finest Hours was ok too.

Catching up on Oscar nominees,

Mustang was excellent

Theeb was very good, shared some similar themes with The Revenant

Anomalisa was visually beautiful, I thought the story was fine.

45 Years, eh, kind of a snoozer, I think there were probably stronger performances for Actress In A Leading Role.

• 2 weeks later...

GF turned on Fuller House. Holy shit is that awful. One line followed by laugh track for 10 minutes straight until I made her turn it off. I always thought the Big Bang Theory got a little too much shit for the laugh track (I don't mind that show but quit watching a few seasons ago) but maybe I had blinders on.

Also, I think it has been mentioned before but New Girl is a really, really good show. It's dipped a bit in season 5 but the first 4 are gold. On the surface it looks like another crappy sitcom but it is really well written and very funny. Definitely something that most of the VC crowd would like if they gave it an honest try.

GF turned on Fuller House. Holy shit is that awful. One line followed by laugh track for 10 minutes straight until I made her turn it off. I always thought the Big Bang Theory got a little too much shit for the laugh track (I don't mind that show but quit watching a few seasons ago) but maybe I had blinders on.

Also, I think it has been mentioned before but New Girl is a really, really good show. It's dipped a bit in season 5 but the first 4 are gold. On the surface it looks like another crappy sitcom but it is really well written and very funny. Definitely something that most of the VC crowd would like if they gave it an honest try.

I agree with every single bit of this post. Especially the New Girl stuff. I put off watching that shit for so long after I watched the first episode...then I saw a season 3 episode my wife was watching and binge watched everything available.

Was thinking about this the other day: if there was one show you guys could erase from your memory so you could watch it for the first time again, what would it be?

I honestly think I'd choose Six Feet Under. Really hard choice, but I was thinking about this show the other day and it's what made me think of this question.