Recently Viewing

How did you see revenant already? That seems like a see in theaters movie and glad its the case. Looking forward to hateful eight. Theater near me is getting the 70mm print and going to check it out that way.

Through my Guild. I'm seeing H-8 tomorrow as well. 

I think you'll see a ton of noms for Revenant and DiCaprio deserves serious consideration but right now Room is winning for me overall. 

I've been working through The Wire. Just started season 4. This show is better than Breaking Bad if they end it right. Also have Mr Robot S1 to watch.

Season 4 is really good. I think S2 is my favorite/the best, but really I don't think there's a weak season of the entire series.

Started watching a documentary series on Netflix called Making a Murderer. Only 2 episodes in, but hooked. It's about the Steven Avery case if anyone is familiar, from around Green Bay, WI, and how he was wrongfully accused of a rape, and then going through the trial of the subsequent murder he's been convicted of committing.

Also in the middle of Mr. Robot - what an excellent show all around!

The Last Dinosaur is not a kids movie lol... I'm not sure what Pixar/Disney were doing on this one. Semi-enjoyable as far as kids movies go, but, pretty bad overall. Especially for Disney/Pixar.

My five year old enjoyed it. Definitely a bit more in the sad Bambi-Old School Disney vein but I enjoyed it all in all. Certainly not my favorite film but I appreciate that they are treating kids as intelligent and willing to challenge them emotionally. It's my biggest complaint with a lot of kids tv and films - they treat them with this oddball idealized notion of what kids should be instead of speaking to them as they actually are. I always point to ET as an example of a brilliant kids film for these reasons. Anyway, I disagree with you a degree. We can't all like the same movies. 

My five year old enjoyed it. Definitely a bit more in the sad Bambi-Old School Disney vein but I enjoyed it all in all. Certainly not my favorite film but I appreciate that they are treating kids as intelligent and willing to challenge them emotionally. It's my biggest complaint with a lot of kids tv and films - they treat them with this oddball idealized notion of what kids should be instead of speaking to them as they actually are. I always point to ET as an example of a brilliant kids film for these reasons. Anyway, I disagree with you a degree. We can't all like the same movies. 

Eh fair enough. I just thought some of it was a bit outside of what I expect from Disney/Pixar. Obviously you know one of the parents isn't gonna make it, it's Disney. But for the kid to have flashbacks and nightmares about it was a little gritty. Just seemed like the whole movie was about the kid getting hurt and crying. Plus - while my girlfriend and I absolutely cracked up - I can't imagine how a kid/parent would react to the rotten fruit = awesome hallucinations scene. It was hilarious but.. I wouldn't want my kid eating some rotten fruit off the ground because he thought he'd laugh and his head would grow and he'd fly in the sky and have a great time haha.

I was a bit harsh in my comment, we enjoyed it, I just thought it was a little gritty for a Disney. They all have their struggles/tribulations but this one was like every single turn he was getting hit, falling, beaten, eaten, fought, drowning, etc. 

I forgot about the fruit. Ha ha ha. I passed on explaining that one because my boy didn't ask.

You know, it's not one my kid has asked to see again unlike Charlie Brown. Pixar tries to tow the line between for kids and adults and it didn't really hit on either. I liked it but it will not ever be seen as a classic. I'm ready to re-watch Inside Out. 

Finally saw Mockingjay Pt. 2 and while I'm satisfied with how it all turned out, it really should've been one movie. Even this one had a slow pace at times which really shows that the split was pretty much just a cash grab. I'd like to see someone turn both parts into one big film that tells (and ends) the story with a bang without having so many scenes that simply didn't have to be included.

Between Christmas Day and now:

The Gift

Happiness

Iron Man 3 (for the 2nd time)

Captain America: Winter Soldier (for the 2nd time)

John Wick

Passolini's The Canterbury Tales

What We Do In The Shadows

Cul-De-Sac

Alone In The Dark (1982)

Watched both those Marvel movies again, but this time with my fiancée because I'm trying to get her caught up with them. All the other films were so great as well.

I saw hateful eight in 70mm this morning and really enjoyed it. Overture, intermission and playbill program were all a nice touch. It all looked great in 70mm, even the lodge where it captured all the little nuances in such a small space. I think its only playing for a few more days so dont sleep on it.