Is it a requirement that all modern post-punk band singers imitate Ian Curtis? This Dark Blue album I got in Jade Tree bundle has the vibe, but not in a good way. I think I'm only going to keep 2/5 albums, Statistics and Pedro The Lion. The 25 Year Comp is cool, I just will never listen to it again, and Cloak/Dagger is kinda generic punk.

3 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

Is it a requirement that all modern post-punk band singers imitate Ian Curtis? This Dark Blue album I got in Jade Tree bundle has the vibe, but not in a good way. I think I'm only going to keep 2/5 albums, Statistics and Pedro The Lion. The 25 Year Comp is cool, I just will never listen to it again, and Cloak/Dagger is kinda generic punk.

Honestly, dude in Dark Blue doesn't try to be Ian Curtis enough. I think I'd like them a bit more if he was like 50% more Ian Curtis-y. That Cloak/Dagger LP is a lot of fun. I like that it's straight forward punk. Not snotty/whiny, not "skate-y, not poppy...just fast rock and roll punk.

I really like that Statistics LP. I think it's gonna end up being my favorite out of the bundle.

I'm listening to From Ashes Rise now. Also fun. I'd heard them before and completely forgot about them. Gonna go through the 4 Pedro the Lion LPs tonight.

15 minutes ago, THE_James_Champ said:

@Bladewillisisdead I sent you a message about it, but if you don't dig Pedro, I'll up my offer to $5 per LP, and that way the bundle paid for itself. Lol.

Oh shit, super cool of the site to not give me a new message notification.

I'll definitely take you up on that if I'm not into them. I took them out of the shrinkwrap to put them into sleeves and these are really high quality releases. How fucking many did they press that they're getting rid of them for $2? God damn.

I also think the Dark Blue was generic post-punk I turned it off after like 3 songs. The Cloak/Dagger was fun, but just couldn't see a respin so I sold those 2 along with like 4 other records that failed to sell on reddit to my local got like $45. I've already respun the comp and really want to hear more Denali now

12 minutes ago, NapalmBrain said:

I also think the Dark Blue was generic post-punk I turned it off after like 3 songs. The Cloak/Dagger was fun, but just couldn't see a respin so I sold those 2 along with like 4 other records that failed to sell on reddit to my local got like $45. I've already respun the comp and really want to hear more Denali now

This was my exact reaction to the comp

25 minutes ago, NapalmBrain said:

Denali was great.

51 minutes ago, NapalmBrain said:

The B-Side was a bit better, but still not great. I need to take a few things into my local record store this week too. I've had quite few things for months and months on discogs, here, reddit and even ebay with no bites, so might as well trade it in for some store credit.

EDit: Spinning my Slowdive ‎- Pygmalion now. They really changed their sound for this record.

Edited by Thomas³

49 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

The B-Side was a bit better, but still not great. I need to take a few things into my local record store this week too. I've had quite few things for months and months on discogs, here, reddit and even ebay with no bites, so might as well trade it in for some store credit.

EDit: Spinning my Slowdive ‎- Pygmalion now. They really changed their sound for this record.

Listened to that this morning, it's one of my favorites. It's very minimalistic

I like these Pedro the Lion LPs. I don't love them, they didn't blow me away, but I enjoy them. For $3 each, I'm pleasantly surprised. Overall, getting drunk, saying "fuck it" and ordering 2 of the Jade Tree bundles was a success. I'll relisten to at least 7/10 of them at least once in awhile.

Fuck the comp though. Now I reeeeaaaalllly want to pick up a bunch of Jets to Brazil, Denali, and Joan of Arc albums.

I've been working out almost every day for the last week and it's really weird. I haven't really done any exercising in the last decade. I've been to the gym maybe 6 times, had jobs that involved lifting, and fucked a bunch but that's about it. We got a stepper machine and a pull up bar. Today I ran 2 miles, did 15 minutes on the stepper, and did maybe 50 pull ups (not at once, but throught the day. I top out at about 10 at a time). It's not a lot but it's getting easier and I feel great.

After almost 3 decades of treating myself like shit, it feels really bizzare to be making positive strides. I still drink like a fish and smoke like a chimney (cigs and weed) but I'm eating better than I ever have in my entire life. I went months without fast-food and now I'm not even the least bit guilty about indulging a couple times a week. I used to eat fast food twice a day and then make a third meal out of snacks. 

I used to sleep until 2-6pm. Now I consider 11am to be sleeping in, like it's a treat I should be guilty about. I used to stay up until dawn every night, now 2am seems foreign to me. It's insane the amount of progress I've made in the last year and a half. I've made more strides than I did in my first 27 years combined. Sorry to get all "blog-y" but it's been on my mind all day.

Also, fuck...as I was typing this another kitten followed my girlfriend home. He's really young, really hungry, and insanely friendly. I think someone around here had a cat give birth and has been slowly getting rid of them. It breaks my fucking heart. We would keep it in a heartbeat but 3 is already too many cats for our budget and space. 4 would be irresponsible. I kinda want to cry because we can't give this little guy a loving home.

47 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

I like these Pedro the Lion LPs. I don't love them, they didn't blow me away, but I enjoy them. For $3 each, I'm pleasantly surprised. Overall, getting drunk, saying "fuck it" and ordering 2 of the Jade Tree bundles was a success. I'll relisten to at least 7/10 of them at least once in awhile.

Fuck the comp though. Now I reeeeaaaalllly want to pick up a bunch of Jets to Brazil, Denali, and Joan of Arc albums.

Hold off on Jets to Brazil, they're allegedly getting repressed soon

3 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

I'll upload to YouTube or you guys can follow me on snap:

feastandfamine

Isn't /that/ big of a deal, just figured I'd give everyone a heads up since some guys are exclusively mobile. I'm usually on my computer but I'm in bed playing on my phone. Currently have my laptop wired into my TV so I can watch shit and not move (hooray wireless mouse).

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic