Matt, I just grabbed a 2TB Seagate external off Amazon for $85. It's a red case, so it was $5 cheaper than the normal black for some reason. I still had $10 in amazon credit, so was only $75 total. Not a bad deal at all.

That's not bad at all.  I need to get a new external too.  I'm going to keep an off site backup at work (that's synced nightly) and a 2TB would cover music and some other things that would be difficult to get back.

Edit : my last external had some issues with bad blocks recently that made it unuseable.

I still don't get why I can read off mine, but can't write to it. It makes no sense. As far as I can tell, there is no corrupt data from reading, so it's all just really odd. I have all my lossless stuff on a flash drive, and all my music is backed up on Google Music at 320kbps (or birate the mp3's are in). I love how they offer free uploads up to 30,000 songs. My music is safe, and at worst I get it all back in 320 if I lose multiple drives some how.

I wish I had a way to sync my data offsite too, that would be nice.

I still don't get why I can read off mine, but can't write to it. It makes no sense. As far as I can tell, there is no corrupt data from reading, so it's all just really odd. I have all my lossless stuff on a flash drive, and all my music is backed up on Google Music at 320kbps (or birate the mp3's are in). I love how they offer free uploads up to 30,000 songs. My music is safe, and at worst I get it all back in 320 if I lose multiple drives some how.

I wish I had a way to sync my data offsite too, that would be nice.

In my experience, when a drive has bad blocks it gets remounted as read only as soon as you try and write to that block.  You can write to it until it hits that sector and that's it.  I've always been able to read my drives with bad blocks (although any files that were previously written to bad blocks are corrupted).  The hard drive in my current machine was giving me that problem.  I was able to use dd to clone it and it was fine except for a few files.  But it would make my system very sad if I tried to write to certain partitions.

That may differ across OSes though.

That makes sense. So far it seems like everything is ok, but I have not watched all my movies or anything, just scanned through to make sure I didn't get any glitchy audio or video. The music I just deleted, since it is all on my laptop anyway. Hopefully I'm good to go, and can get everything backed up when the new drive arrives, since I'll be buying the new laptop in 2-3 weeks. If I can find another 1TB drive for cheapish, I'll probably grab one and use it for a redundant backup for my music (since it's obviously what I care most about) and store it at my parents in case of something really bad happening to my house.

That makes sense. So far it seems like everything is ok, but I have not watched all my movies or anything, just scanned through to make sure I didn't get any glitchy audio or video. The music I just deleted, since it is all on my laptop anyway. Hopefully I'm good to go, and can get everything backed up when the new drive arrives, since I'll be buying the new laptop in 2-3 weeks. If I can find another 1TB drive for cheapish, I'll probably grab one and use it for a redundant backup for my music (since it's obviously what I care most about) and store it at my parents in case of something really bad happening to my house.

Yeah, hard to say what is actually wrong with the drive.  In my mind, any recovery from a bad drive is good :)

Back in the day my buddy got a dishwashing job and like 5 minutes into his first shift the manager was showing him around and was like "This is the freezer. Over there by that chair is where you can smoke pot. Please blow the smoke into that vent there."

Sounds about right.  I don't think any place I was at ever put a chair in the walk-ins though.

Matt, I just grabbed a 2TB Seagate external off Amazon for $85. It's a red case, so it was $5 cheaper than the normal black for some reason. I still had $10 in amazon credit, so was only $75 total. Not a bad deal at all.

Just grabbed all the files off my bad external, so now to just wait for the new one. Hopefully next paycheck I can get a new laptop with a ssd.

Not too shabby. I think my 3TB was $100 from Best Buy. Seagate has one on their site for $90.

Topshelf's whole digital catalog is free for the next 24 hours. I've only listened to Wildhoney, A Great Big Pile of Leaves, Toe, and YEYEY, but I've loved them all. Anything else I should check out?

Prawn for sure.

Edit: Also forgot they put out Wrestling Moves by Native. Check that out too!

Topshelf's whole digital catalog is free for the next 24 hours. I've only listened to Wildhoney, A Great Big Pile of Leaves, Toe, and YEYEY, but I've loved them all. Anything else I should check out?

Prawn, Field Mouse, TWIABP, Special Explosion and that Braid album is right up there with Frame & Canvas

RFC sent me my replacement Pity Sex 7", just a plain white sleeve in a mailer. Luckily didn't show up damaged, this one is still slightly warped but it at least doesn't give me anxiety looking at it, like it's playing on a boat. Think I'm going to turn the other one into an ashtray and give it to a friend or something

Morning! I really need to go back to sleep. It's my day off and Iv been up since 6am.

Ha ! The same thing with me ! It's my Sunday and I've been up since 7am. These early working hours really fuck up our days off. I wanted to watch silicon valley with my roommates last night but I fell asleep at 10pm.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic