I'll never understand how every year there are dudes in their late 20s and early 30s complaining about the Warped Tour lineup. They'll say things like "Every year the lineup gets worse..." That's because you're a year older and the festival's target demographic is the same age. It's not a "punk" festival. It's a festival for god damn kids.

I'll never understand how every year there are dudes in their late 20s and early 30s complaining about the Warped Tour lineup. They'll say things like "Every year the lineup gets worse..." That's because you're a year older and the festival's target demographic is the same age. It's not a "punk" festival. It's a festival for god damn kids.

I am that 21 year old bitching about Bled Fests lineup tho.

People who complain about the line up of Warped are moronic. Like they expect it to be good or something.

But my sentiment does apply to any festival. The lineups are getting "worse" because you're growing out of the target demographic.

By all means go if you want to see some of the bands, but don't act surprised or offended when kids are going off for a bunch of shitty bands you've never heard of before

Seriously, even in the 90s they had a bunch of Numetal.

Edit: I hate all the "old school" acts. I've never been able to tolerate skate punk or ska.

Almost all festivals are garbage unless they are catered to lesser played genres. For example small stoner rock / psych rock festivals are cool cause they don't do extensive tours. So it's awesome to see them in one place. But festivals that cater to a certain demographic are always a nightmare. Just go see your favorite band on their own tour: less people, more intimate, bands make more money, support isn't out of left field, you aren't standing around for 8 hours in the sun all day, and you're only paying for what you want to see instead of paying for 40 bands you want to see three of.

Ska and skate punk is a fucking joke.

I think 2005 was the last year I went to warped, it's not catered to me and I'm sure there is a handful of good bands but it's not worth all the other crap you have to deal with. I have seen some bitching older acts like Joan Jett & The Blackhearts and Fear and then I've had to sit through horrible joke acts like Atreyu and Avenged Sevenfold there has always been a mixed bag even in past years

I'm not going to try to argue with anyone on 3rd gen ska, but if you don't see the appeal of the Specials first album you are tripping. That's an incredibly important and respected album in music history, and did wonders for the integration of black and white musicians in the UK music scene

Well, fuck me, but I'd rather listen to something god awful as the 1975 or whatever for two weeks straight than sit through one listen of the 'best' ska album. It just itches my brain and stomach in a way that's not funny and makes me very, very, very uncomfortable.

I know there's the whole argument about punk being an image and not a sound, but I refuse to accept The Clash as a punk band

Punk is such a wide and diverse genre. It's crazy how many sub genres they are. It really depends what your definition of punk is. The Clash has elements of reggae and funk, so it's not straight punk. And it's definitely not 'punk' when you're comparing to stuff out of a different sub genre / band like Black Flag, The Stooges, Minor Threat, or even punk bands from the same geographic area like The Cult or Buzzcocks.

I mean, if someone were to say they don't like punk, that's pretty insane, considering how expansive it is, ya know?

I'm more of a post punk and hardcore punk fan myself. But punk went on to birth / influence so many genres. Even taking a specific sub genre like hardcore inspired so much like alt rock, grunge, various metals, and post hardcore.

I digress...

I don't really see The Clash as a punk band either since I listen to mainly hardcore and post. So I get what you're saying. It's more of a personal statement rather than a 'they are / aren't' type of situation.

Well, fuck me, but I'd rather listen to something god awful as the 1975 or whatever for two weeks straight than sit through one listen of the 'best' ska album. It just itches my brain and stomach in a way that's not funny and makes me very, very, very uncomfortable.

I'd rather drink bleach than listen to either.

Reminder: The Clash and The Sex Pistols were put together by managers to sell an image.

Sex pistols yes, The Clash no. It wasn't just an image, they were very much into it for the message. They were huge activists to the point they had people giving political speeches between sets and passing out brochures at gigs, sounds annoying. The Clash will always be the most important punk band to me, they were talented, innovative and always pushed the envelope of what was considered punk. I don't care I'd even call London Calling a punk album, look at the lyrics to "Death or Glory" alone

I got my Pistons today Matt. They sound kinda muffled, might need broken in, might be fake, might be my ears. I don't know, but I certainly remember why I hate earbuds and IEMs. I'll give them more listens though.

T-3: I finished Waiter ten minutes ago, now I put something else on, and I'll throw their second album on after this.

It had a few standout tracks and I could definitely tell there was something there, but I don't know if I could go back to it.

Censored Colors is their only great album to me, they have some good ones. But that is the only one I ever crave to hear anymore

T-3: I finished Waiter ten minutes ago, now I put something else on, and I'll throw their second album on after this.

It had a few standout tracks and I could definitely tell there was something there, but I don't know if I could go back to it.

They are not for everyone for sure, but I love them. You can hear them evolve more. John had no real idea how to play guitar when Waiter was recorded, and the drums were album done on a drum machine, and when they brought Jason in he just recorded the same stuff they had on the drum machine. LP2 you can hear the improvement in drumming and John's guitar.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic