Just now, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

I've been slowly working through the books in the Ender Saga, alternating them with other books. Ender's Game could be an easy/reasonably fun read for you. :)

I'll check it out. That's not something I've read or that is read at school AFAIK so it should work. Thanks for the advice, I was drawing a blank and knew you were the book guy around here. Much appreciated.

4 minutes ago, Issei Hyoudou said:

I'll check it out. That's not something I've read or that is read at school AFAIK so it should work. Thanks for the advice, I was drawing a blank and knew you were the book guy around here. Much appreciated.

It's sci-fi, and pretty enjoyable. I liked the second book in the series better, but it speaks more to my profession than Ender's Game does.

I'll try to come up with more of a list, but that's the one that sprang to mind since I'm finishing the last book in the saga right now.

Edited by The Ghost of Randy Savage

6 minutes ago, Issei Hyoudou said:

>Oh, wonder what happens in the second book

>wait a minute, he's a...

> :|

my thought process was something like this

Haha, I think you'd still be surprised by what happens :)

So...authors I'd suggest are Frank Herbert (specifically Dune. One of my all-time favorites), Augustin Burroughs (I think you'd enjoy his stuff, memoir-ish stuff, but craaaazy), Brett Easton-Ellis (wrote American Psycho, which was...eh, good I guess. I liked Less Than Zero a lot), and Dave Eggers (wife really likes him, puts a decent humorous slant on things).

I was actually surprised to find how often I choose to read foreign authors over US authors. My portion of our library is really skewed that way.

Haha, I think you'd still be surprised by what happens :)

So...authors I'd suggest are Frank Herbert (specifically Dune. One of my all-time favorites), Augustin Burroughs (I think you'd enjoy his stuff, memoir-ish stuff, but craaaazy), Brett Easton-Ellis (wrote American Psycho, which was...eh, good I guess. I liked Less Than Zero a lot), and Dave Eggers (wife really likes him, puts a decent humorous slant on things).

I was actually surprised to find how often I choose to read foreign authors over US authors. My portion of our library is really skewed that way.

I keep hearing about American Psycho and have managed to avoid spoilers. Would that be worth checking out? I've read so few books it's almost funny. I kinda just quit giving a shit in like 7th grade after being forced to read so many books to hit some word goal in grade school.

Just now, Issei Hyoudou said:

I keep hearing about American Psycho and have managed to avoid spoilers. Would that be worth checking out? I've read so few books it's almost funny. I kinda just quit giving a shit in like 7th grade after being forced to read so many books to hit some word goal in grade school.

American Psycho is good. I also think it's pretty overrated though, and the people who do love it reeeeeeally love it.

I read very little in high school that I was supposed to. I read a lot of Star Wars books, but I wish I'd have read some of the classics that we were supposed to read. I did read Cather in the Rye and that was a huge one for me in high school though. Completely changed my tune on older books. That's probably actually a good suggestion for books US authors too.

2 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

American Psycho is good. I also think it's pretty overrated though, and the people who do love it reeeeeeally love it.

I read very little in high school that I was supposed to. I read a lot of Star Wars books, but I wish I'd have read some of the classics that we were supposed to read. I did read Cather in the Rye and that was a huge one for me in high school though. Completely changed my tune on older books. That's probably actually a good suggestion for books US authors too.

I think we read that in school at some point (which is one of the things that disqualify a book for summer reading). Most of my reading now is either LNs/VNs/subtitles because anything I give enough of a shit about to read is probably weeby because I've been on a bit of a weeby kick. Reminds me that with the bluray announcement I am finally going to go read all of the Haruhi LNs (there's 5ish that were officially translated (so no cringey Japanenglish fan translations) and never animated if you care). Also read some interesting books about music. Been meaning to check out some more of those 33 1/3 books or whatever they were that were being talked about a while back

I'll check out that stuff off the list and let you know what I end up deciding. Thanks for the recommendations.

1 minute ago, Issei Hyoudou said:

I think we read that in school at some point (which is one of the things that disqualify a book for summer reading). Most of my reading now is either LNs/VNs/subtitles because anything I give enough of a shit about to read is probably weeby because I've been on a bit of a weeby kick. Reminds me that with the bluray announcement I am finally going to go read all of the Haruhi LNs (there's 5ish that were officially translated (so no cringey Japanenglish fan translations) and never animated if you care). Also read some interesting books about music. Been meaning to check out some more of those 33 1/3 books or whatever they were that were being talked about a while back

I'll check out that stuff off the list and let you know what I end up deciding. Thanks for the recommendations.

No prob. Yeah, let me know what you decide on!

1 minute ago, Thomas³ said:

Enders Game was a good book. 

Im down to one incoming record. It feels weird. About to grab the HM repress, so 2 I guess. Still is weird having a pretty much empty email inbox. 

I think I'm at 2 POs and one incoming right now. Was down to one PO until this week. That HM repress got me. Ordered the Case/Lang/Veirs B&N version online because I was feeling lazy and it sounds good.

8 hours ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

I think I need to start wearing girl jeans. 28 is the smallest size you can get in men's and they're always a liiiitttlllllle loose in the waist, even when the legs are skin tight.

Dammit Kevin. I refuse to feel bad about my size if only because I have hips that won't quit. But really, ladies go down to 24, so I'm sure you can easily find something better for yourself.

@Issei Hyoudou, get yourself some Cormac McCarthy, Chuck Palahniuk, or early Stephen King, as well as the excellent authors John mentioned. Another suggestion, Erik Larson wrote a fantastic nonfiction book called The Devil in the White City, all about Chicago during the World's Fair and H. H. Holmes involvement.

1 minute ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

I think I'm at 2 POs and one incoming right now. Was down to one PO until this week. That HM repress got me. Ordered the Case/Lang/Veirs B&N version online because I was feeling lazy and it sounds good.

The colors on it are goofy as hell, but in excited to own it again. Such a good record. I need to order the pg.lost stuff too, but imports are so expensive. Whenever I get my new debit card, I'm going to go grab some random stuff at some local stores, since I'm feeling like discovering something new. 

2 minutes ago, chkadea said:

Dammit Kevin. I refuse to feel bad about my size if only because I have hips that won't quit. But really, ladies go down to 24, so I'm sure you can easily find something better for yourself.

@Issei Hyoudou, get yourself some Cormac McCarthy, Chuck Palahniuk, or early Stephen King, as well as the excellent authors John mentioned. Another suggestion, Erik Larson wrote a fantastic nonfiction book called The Devil in the White City, all about Chicago during the World's Fair and H. H. Holmes involvement.

I've heard good things about this. And yeah, Stephen King's early stuff is really fun Salem's Lot is incredible. I like some of Palahniuk's stuff...I think I'm weird in that I really enjoyed Rant much more than a lot of his other stuff. I've never read and McCarthy.

2 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

The colors on it are goofy as hell, but in excited to own it again. Such a good record. I need to order the pg.lost stuff too, but imports are so expensive. Whenever I get my new debit card, I'm going to go grab some random stuff at some local stores, since I'm feeling like discovering something new. 

::sigh:: yeah, I wish the colors/#s were reversed. I'll always go for a trans/clear over opaque if number are similar, but /300 vs /1600 is huge...I donno why I need that more limited one.

5 minutes ago, chkadea said:

o.o too many names between the two of you now haha. Still appreciate the recommendations. Maybe it'll motivate me to actually read again. When I was younger I read a bunch of DJ MacHale's stuff. Actually met him at a signing when I was pretty young, I wonder if I still have the picture somewhere for shits and giggles around here. My signed books are in storage right now though.

All the jeans talk reminds me I need to get some clothes that actually fit properly :S

2 minutes ago, Issei Hyoudou said:

o.o too many names between the two of you now haha. Still appreciate the recommendations. Maybe it'll motivate me to actually read again. When I was younger I read a bunch of DJ MacHale's stuff. Actually met him at a signing when I was pretty young, I wonder if I still have the picture somewhere for shits and giggles around here. My signed books are in storage right now though.

All the jeans talk reminds me I need to get some clothes that actually fit properly :S

I think my main recommendation still stands. Ender's Game is a solid read, and fun to boot!

1 minute ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

I've heard good things about this. And yeah, Stephen King's early stuff is really fun Salem's Lot is incredible. I like some of Palahniuk's stuff...I think I'm weird in that I really enjoyed Rant much more than a lot of his other stuff. I've never read and McCarthy.

I'm not much into nonfiction as I tend to find it typically very dry, but that book is really wonderful in that it almost reads more like a novel, but all of the information is historically accurate, with direct quotes. 

King is fun, but really brings down his own quality with the insane quantity of books he writes, and his seeming refusal to edit his works down. I love his iconic works, though.

Palahniuk can be too abrasive, but I did enjoy Invisible Monsters and Stranger than Fiction. Figured I'd recommend him if Easton Ellis was mentioned

Just now, chkadea said:

I'm not much into nonfiction as I tend to find it typically very dry, but that book is really wonderful in that it almost reads more like a novel, but all of the information is historically accurate, with direct quotes. 

King is fun, but really brings down his own quality with the insane quantity of books he writes, and his seeming refusal to edit his works down. I love his iconic works, though.

Palahniuk can be too abrasive, but I did enjoy Invisible Monsters and Stranger than Fiction. Figured I'd recommend him if Easton Ellis was mentioned

I burned myself out on King after I ran through the Dark Tower books/a bunch of the novels that were heavily entwined with them (although they really draw from most of them).

I've been on a Murakami kick for a long time now. but he's definitely not from the US.

12 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

::sigh:: yeah, I wish the colors/#s were reversed. I'll always go for a trans/clear over opaque if number are similar, but /300 vs /1600 is huge...I donno why I need that more limited one.

Agreed. Even a plain black press would have been cool. The /300 one just sounds hideous. At least the music on it is amazing. 

1 minute ago, Thomas³ said:

Agreed. Even a plain black press would have been cool. The /300 one just sounds hideous. At least the music on it is amazing. 

Eh, I think it sounds fine...I've got a couple blue/purple merge records, the splatter might be a little weird, but eh.

I burned myself out on King after I ran through the Dark Tower books/a bunch of the novels that were heavily entwined with them (although they really draw from most of them).

I've been on a Murakami kick for a long time now. but he's definitely not from the US.

I started the Dark Tower series a few months ago but ended up getting side tracked. I didn't get very far in, so I'm curious what your opinion of it is? I love western movies and sci-fi for the most part, and was hoping it would be worth reading.

@Issei Hyoudou If I were to recommend specific books that are absolutrly fantastic and, to me, profound, check out The Road by Cormac McCarthy, Everything Is Illuminated and/or Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer.

1 minute ago, chkadea said:

I started the Dark Tower series a few months ago but ended up getting side tracked. I didn't get very far in, so I'm curious what your opinion of it is? I love western movies and sci-fi for the most part, and was hoping it would be worth reading.

@Issei Hyoudou If I were to recommend specific books that are absolutrly fantastic and, to me, profound, check out The Road by Cormac McCarthy, Everything Is Illuminated and/or Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer.

I read the last few as they came out and I really loved the series. I even read the comics prequels he did. Recommend the series for sure.

1 minute ago, chkadea said:

I'll take a look at all of those and what @The Ghost of Randy Savage recommended and pick one, that should be plenty. Thanks to both of you <3

@chkadea I stated the first book a few years ago. but tried 4 times to get past a certain point. I finally broke free and finished it. I'm currently stalled in Wolves of the Calla. but that's my own fault. I think you should keep going.

Edited by THE_James_Champ

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic