9 hours ago, Issei Hyoudou said:

I got a job plus I unloaded a few expensive things (ETID to Brian, Periphery I because I didn't spin it enough to justify keeping it around at the pricepoint it's at and I have a feeling a RP is inbound). Not to mention I have no bills, etc. We've already talked about that before though. Bunch of stuff I have been looking for came up at really solid prices.

Speaking of books, I have to pick a book for English to read this summer and the requirements are that it be by an American author (American Lit class), 200 pages or more, and "not 50 Shades of Grey". Have anything in mind you think I'd enjoy?

Dune by Frank Herbert

8 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Haha, I think you'd still be surprised by what happens :)

So...authors I'd suggest are Frank Herbert (specifically Dune. One of my all-time favorites), Augustin Burroughs (I think you'd enjoy his stuff, memoir-ish stuff, but craaaazy), Brett Easton-Ellis (wrote American Psycho, which was...eh, good I guess. I liked Less Than Zero a lot), and Dave Eggers (wife really likes him, puts a decent humorous slant on things).

I was actually surprised to find how often I choose to read foreign authors over US authors. My portion of our library is really skewed that way.

Yes... Dune

I told Rez he should read Kim Gordon "Girl In A Band" since he loves Sonic Youth, but dunno if it has to be a novel or not. Otherwise "High Fidelity" by Nick Hornsby, essential reading for record nerds I think I got through it within a day or 2, and since it's based in the UK instead some of the jokes worked better in the novel (not knocking the movie at all, it's one of my favs)

9 hours ago, chkadea said:

Dammit Kevin. I refuse to feel bad about my size if only because I have hips that won't quit. But really, ladies go down to 24, so I'm sure you can easily find something better for yourself.

@Issei Hyoudou, get yourself some Cormac McCarthy, Chuck Palahniuk, or early Stephen King, as well as the excellent authors John mentioned. Another suggestion, Erik Larson wrote a fantastic nonfiction book called The Devil in the White City, all about Chicago during the World's Fair and H. H. Holmes involvement.

Well, I'm small/thin because of a long running eating disorder and the fact that my pituitary gland didn't think it needed to produce growth hormone during puberty. So my body is all fucked forever basically.

I definitely second the Cormac McCarthy recommendation.

1 hour ago, NapalmBrain said:

I told Rez he should read Kim Gordon "Girl In A Band" since he loves Sonic Youth, but dunno if it has to be a novel or not. Otherwise "High Fidelity" by Nick Hornsby, essential reading for record nerds I think I got through it within a day or 2, and since it's based in the UK instead some of the jokes worked better in the novel (not knocking the movie at all, it's one of my favs)

I don't think the SY counts. Is the other based in he UK but still by a US author?

16 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Holy shit, Anton Yelchin (Only Lovers Left Alive, Green Room, Star Trek) was killed in a car crash today. Dude was a really good actor and really promising as he was only in his 20s.

I saw that, it wasn't even a car crash, he got crushed by his own car, left in neutral. It's fucked up that something like that can even happen, just upsets me.

Separate note: I'm accruing as many 2016 albums as I can cuz I ignored new music almost entirely last year (hard to listen to a bunch of new stuff when you're too young to know all the classics and have to catch up!). Anyone have the new Kokomo  (lookin' at you, @Dave Grohl) or the new PUP @320?

4 hours ago, DOMAN127 said:

I saw that, it wasn't even a car crash, he got crushed by his own car, left in neutral. It's fucked up that something like that can even happen, just upsets me.

Separate note: I'm accruing as many 2016 albums as I can cuz I ignored new music almost entirely last year (hard to listen to a bunch of new stuff when you're too young to know all the classics and have to catch up!). Anyone have the new Kokomo  (lookin' at you, @Dave Grohl) or the new PUP @320?

I have both. I'll upload them tonight.

18 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

It's sci-fi, and pretty enjoyable. I liked the second book in the series better, but it speaks more to my profession than Ender's Game does.

I'll try to come up with more of a list, but that's the one that sprang to mind since I'm finishing the last book in the saga right now.

I'm about half way through season 2 of Kimmy and it might be my new favorite show.

Just now, The Butcha said:

@The Ghost of Randy Savage You ready for Nothing tonight?? I'm already drinking whiskey baby! I'll probably be there around 8. If I'm not into the first 2 bands we can totally drink about it.

So...I donno if I'm going to make it. The plan was that I was going to take off tomorrow, but I already have 3 appointments, and we're short staffed :/

fuck that shit. :(

1 minute ago, The Butcha said:

Nooooo :( thats a huge bummer dude. I'm sorry to hear it.

Yeah :( sorry, dude. I was really looking forward to it. My boss decided to take vacation this week, we're down an office manager on top of that and we've got 3 different people out at points during the week. Suuuuuuucks.

15 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

So the Cavs won the championship, and being the first cleveland team to do it in an area of crazy ass fans, I fully expect ohio to burn down tonight. I keep hearing fireworks and gunshots.

don't die just cause Lebron is good, lock those doors. But seriously I don't like basketball but 52 years since the last nba championship... that's crazy

1 hour ago, The Butcha said:

@The Ghost of Randy Savage You ready for Nothing tonight?? I'm already drinking whiskey baby! I'll probably be there around 8. If I'm not into the first 2 bands we can totally drink about it.

get it boi!!!!!!!!!!!!! I missed Nothing cause I had to move so celebrate for me!

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic