18 minutes ago, chkadea said:

Out of curiosity, what is the appeal for buying guns? Like, what do you do with them? 

I'm a little bit of a doomsday prepper weirdo. My goal is to have a shotgun, a rifle (the ar-15) and two pistols, one for my wife and one for myself in case we ever need them for whatever reason. I also concealed carry occasionally depending one what I'm doing/where I'm going.

I'm not a crazy gun nut wanting to just "collect" tons of guns, just a bit of an anxious dude.

8 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

As someone who is pretty strongly against most gun ownership: those motherfuckers are fun as shit to shoot at stuff.

Like, Randy Savage having an AR-15 doesn't worry or bother me, but the availability of guns in general is worrying. If the only guns were like single shot bolt action rifles I'd be like "Well obviously guns are fine"

Sorry, not trying to have a gun debate, but I know I've been vocal about my thoughts on gun control before. It's a really fucking tricky thing. As someone raised around guns I know responsible gun ownership is not only possible but  probably even the norm for gun owners. 

Fact!

It's super fun to go to the range and shoot guns :)

Here in Oregon we have background checks before you can buy a gun, and I've had extra background checks/training to get my carry license. I'm all for gun control/background checks. Responsible gun ownership is super important.

Growing up we could just shoot in the backyard of my childhood house. There's been so much development in the area since they built a microchip plant about 10 miles away 7 years ago that my dad had to stop. Not like he got a notice or anything, he's just not an idiot and now the chances of him hitting someone are like .00001% instead of 0%.

The extent of my girlfriend and I's doomsday prep is my girlfriend being way smarter than me and far more adept at surviving, and buying a rifle at some point when we have a house.

I've played around with some guns on a couple of stags* (*bachelor parties). Had a tonne of fun at a range in the Czech Republic where we got to try out some old school Russian weaponry including a Mosin Nagant, AK47 and a Dragonov Sniper Rifle. Highlight was firing a Desert Eagle, that was a hell of a rush even though it nearly knocked my scrawny ass over. I'm glad guns are mostly illegal over here in the UK though. If I lived state side I don't know if I'd own one but I'm an unadventurous person and don't ever see myself living outside of England.

To be fair, the UK seems pretty awesome.

I'm still trying to think of an excuse for my interview tomorrow. I was going to say Doctor's appointment, but if I run into my HR rep or something when I'm upstairs that'd be awkward. Probably just tell them I have an interview and see what they say.

Edited by Thomas³

Daaaaang. You all need to come visit and I'll take you to the range to let off some rounds! As long as you're safe/with someone experienced with firearms everything should go smoothly. As long as everyone follows the rules, the only thing that can go wrong is some sort of catastrophic failure that makes the gun explode in your hand. :)

I say, let's go shoot some guns, then get drunk!

Being afraid, on some level, of guns is important. But yeah, target shooting is hella fun.

I haven't held a gun in a decade, but there's so much gun safety forever ingrained in me. Like, I've seen movies/TV where characters handle an empty gun and I'm on my couch anxious as hell yelling "STILL TREAT IT LIKE ITS LOADED WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU"

2 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Being afraid, on some level, of guns is important. But yeah, target shooting is hella fun.

I haven't held a gun in a decade, but there's so much gun safety forever ingrained in me. Like, I've seen movies/TV where characters handle an empty gun and I'm on my couch anxious as hell yelling "STILL TREAT IT LIKE ITS LOADED WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU"

Right?

2 hours ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

I'd hop on this bandwagon but I'm all politics-ed out after arguing with my dad the past couple days.  Just got into another religion debate. Dunno why I bother, I just get kinda worked up over shit sometimes and argue even though it won't change anything. 

Anyway, haven't kept up on the past few pages or spoken to you recently. Feeling any better?

19 hours ago, Thomas³ said:

To be fair, the UK seems pretty awesome.

I love it here but all countries have their problems. Housing market is flat out insane in and around London, we're dealing with a government who are essentially only looking out for the rich and trying to dismantle the National Health Service. Struggling against the rising power of the political far right which has seen a steep upswing in support causing a rise in hate crimes since Brexit and an unsure economic future. Whilst the lack of legal firearms stems the tide of gun violence (if not completely eradicating it) we have knife crime in its stead.

Still mostly I love it here.

Edited by Stress On The Sky

5 hours ago, Holo said:

I'd hop on this bandwagon but I'm all politics-ed out after arguing with my dad the past couple days.  Just got into another religion debate. Dunno why I bother, I just get kinda worked up over shit sometimes and argue even though it won't change anything. 

Anyway, haven't kept up on the past few pages or spoken to you recently. Feeling any better?

I'm still sick, so thats lame BUT I should *fingers crossed* be going to the post office tomorrow. Also, you're in luck because I found an old E!E!(IWALE) sticker.

I'm still sick, so thats lame BUT I should *fingers crossed* be going to the post office tomorrow. Also, you're in luck because I found an old E!E!(IWALE) sticker.

Damn, that's almost a month now or something isn't it? Stop feeling shitty, dude <3

Thanks, that's awesome, it'll find a good home on something for sure. Been having fun with my laptop stickers. Got a Burzum logo one for shits and giggles since one of my teachers was whining about my Death logo with the inverted cross. It's not coming off, but I just thought I'd passive aggressively escalate. Not that they'll know what it is, but it is the thought that counts :P

Damn, that's almost a month now or something isn't it? Stop feeling shitty, dude <3

Thanks, that's awesome, it'll find a good home on something for sure. Been having fun with my laptop stickers. Got a Burzum logo one for shits and giggles since one of my teachers was whining about my Death logo with the inverted cross. It's not coming off, but I just thought I'd passive aggressively escalate. Not that they'll know what it is, but it is the thought that counts :P

48 minutes ago, Holo said:

I'll double check and make sure I threw a "Godstopper" sticker in there before I mail it out.

Sadly I gave away all of my satanic stickers to a co-worker a few days before you mentioned stickers.

7 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

I'll double check and make sure I threw a "Godstopper" sticker in there before I mail it out.

Sadly I gave away all of my satanic stickers to a co-worker a few days before you mentioned stickers.

Passive aggressive is the best kind of aggressive. Being too directly antagonistic gets old after a while. Someone just noticed the "Bong Load Records" the other day. Don't worry about it, I'll put whatever you have left to good use. Maybe I'll slap something obnoxious on my car.

Oh, right. I don't think I have mentioned that. Sounds like I will be buying a car some time in the next month-ish.

Phone interview went well. Sounds like the main thing they liked is that I already passed all Goodyear's background checks/drug tests to work here. They also liked that I'm familiar with how their roll out process works, since I've had it done on my PC. Now I need to make up an extra hour of work though :(.

30 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

Phone interview went well. Sounds like the main thing they liked is that I already passed all Goodyear's background checks/drug tests to work here. They also liked that I'm familiar with how their roll out process works, since I've had it done on my PC. Now I need to make up an extra hour of work though :(.

Nice!  Hopefully that works out for you!  Making up the hour is lame, but it's for a good cause at least.

2 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

Nice!  Hopefully that works out for you!  Making up the hour is lame, but it's for a good cause at least.

Thanks. For sure, I hate staying late, but it's worth it. I could come in an hour early, but who wants to get up at 6:00am? I'll do 30 mins late today, and 30 mins late tomorrow.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic